Other Mfg Compatability On Wing Choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I love my scuba pro Glide X....but it's huge to travel with. im leaning towards a Trans Pac. 90% of the diving will be single tank, warm water. Will non DR wings will work with the Trans Pac or is it a proprietary system? Also, I'm 6'1". 230#. Will a large adjust out or is the XL a larger back set up?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

The grommet holes in the transpac & wings line up with standard 8" center distance.
There are 3 sets/pairs of holes on the transpac back to allow you to adjust wing position.
As long as your wing has 8" centers on the grommets I suspect it will fit just fine.
I'm 6 ft, 245 lbs, I wear a large.
upload_2016-4-29_13-10-57.png

Mike D

Thanks! Just my luck, I've passed on some great deals on larges holding out for an XL...

remember that the only difference in the sizing is the shoulder pads. No reason to hold out for an XL since you can adjust the shoulder pads or buy them fairly cheap from dive rite. Non Dive Rite wings will NOT work properly with the transpac. The reason the DR wings have the cross hair center section is so the center big goes between the cam band slots of the transpac. Lamar can talk about all of the other advantages all he wants, but the design paradigm for the Transpac requires the cross hair center sections so you can weave a cam band through it since it can't accept an STA. It is extraordinarily risky to use another brands wing because there are no guarantees, and actually almost guaranteed that it won't fit the cam band spacing and the ability to accept the cam bands into the transpac.

What Mike is referring to is the standard 11" on center spacing that Lamar came up with almost 30 years ago. It allows the transpac to accept doubles wings and also to use sex bolts to secure the wings from moving up and down on the Transpac. You can't put a STA on the transpac because the bolts will dig into your back, and the stabilizer plates will prevent that, but there is nothing to wedge them against so the tank will just rock all over your back. Much less than ideal.

If you're diving singles and want a Transpac, you have to use either the Travel, Voyager, or Rec wing and I highly recommend against the Rec wing for single tank diving.

Tbone1004 is correct, an STA is not the way to go agreed. Sorry I forgot the openings for the cam straps.
The wing needs to have vertical slots adjacent to the grommets to thread the cam-bands through.
This sandwiches the wing against the tank as intended.
OMS, HOG, and Hollis & others make wings in this configuration.
If you already have one that looks like this one, I'd try it first before I ordered a new one.
BUT :The best solution is a Dive-rite wing!

upload_2016-5-2_14-26-23.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom