Other simple questions for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I don't know how many people are going to Mexico for the first time but there is one for sure. Me. :cool2:

I do have a few questions for the people who have been there before if you don't mind sharing your experience.

1. Cash or credit? Do you prefer to pay in cash or use a credit card? Are the credit card machines reliable and secure there? I've heard that most shops there accept U.S. dollars no problem but I'd prefer to not carry too much cash.

2. What is the best way to communicate home? Is there a better cell phone plan, a calling card, or a pay as you go phone?

3. Is the nitrox available in Cozumel good and reliable? I'm thinking about getting nitrox certified before the trip but I probably won't buy a nitrox analyzer. They're pretty darn expensive and since I (probably) won't be diving in salt water more than once a year it's kinda hard to justify one. So if the nitrox isn't reliable maybe it's better to not even get certified for it?

I had a few other questions but they escape me for now.

Thanks for any replies! :dance3:

I don't know how many people are going to Mexico for the first time but there is one for sure. Me. :cool2:

I do have a few questions for the people who have been there before if you don't mind sharing your experience.

1. Cash or credit? Do you prefer to pay in cash or use a credit card? Are the credit card machines reliable and secure there? I've heard that most shops there accept U.S. dollars no problem but I'd prefer to not carry too much cash.

2. What is the best way to communicate home? Is there a better cell phone plan, a calling card, or a pay as you go phone?

3. Is the nitrox available in Cozumel good and reliable? I'm thinking about getting nitrox certified before the trip but I probably won't buy a nitrox analyzer. They're pretty darn expensive and since I (probably) won't be diving in salt water more than once a year it's kinda hard to justify one. So if the nitrox isn't reliable maybe it's better to not even get certified for it?

I had a few other questions but they escape me for now.

Thanks for any replies! :dance3:

Ok I'll try my best to answer your questions

1- cash or credit cards are accepted everywhere and I have never had a problem with security.

2- I use email to communicate home and wireless internet is free in our package. As for phones service I never call home because I'm on vacation, so I'm not sure about that. There is a thread about phones in the Cozumel section of the board.

3- Nitrox is available at Dive paradise and they provide the analyers for you to check your tanks.

Agree completely with cardzard....

1. I usually take a fair amount of cash in both US$ and pesos....and used the bank machines on the last 2 trips without incident, except rather high service charges. (Cash can be a good way to avoid some Mexican taxes) :wink:

2. Email only.....usually the only people who I want to talk to on the phone are with me in Coz.

3. Nitrox available with most or all dive ops.....certainly the 3 I'm familiar with...Blue Angel, Blue Magic and Dive Paradise.

Cash myself. If you bank with Bank of America there are some fee free ATMs. Email is fine, if your own computer you can use Skype or Google Voice for cheap calls, most outfits have descent net there now.

1. I like to bring cash. (the following may differ from you depending on how high you like to roll, but...) I think it's better to bring smaller bills - I usually bring about $60 in ones, about 10 fives, 5 tens, and 5 twentys. Ones make it easy to tip with and 5's and 1's will cover most of your small items you may purchase. 10's and 20's are good for taxi's, a night out at a restaraunt and/or bar, and souveniers. I usually keep it in the room safe, stuff it inside of a sock, or roll it up in underwear, and when I go out, I try to wear pants/shorts with secure pockets (buttoned or velcro flaps). This is all inclusive, so much money won't be needed - pretty much just for extra excursions and souveniers. If I need more, I use ATM's, but you do get charged 2-3 times: one for the fee, one for being in another country, and sometimes another for converting the exchange rate - this also goes for when you purchase something at a store. If you use your credit or debit card at all, make sure to check your statements after the trip... it hasn't happened to me, but my mom has had somebody use her card number on 2 different occasions - whether it was some slimeball from a hotel, excursion place, etc., who knows... this is another reason why I like cash - and you can haggle better with cash anyway. Tell your bank(s) that you're going into another country! I learned the hard way on my first international travel that they will usually put a hold on your account when you go to make your first purchase (which is a good thing, but you'll be the one using it! and it's a long and expensive phone call to fix!). The last 4-5 times I've been to Mexico (and this is in all different locations), I have never used a single peso. Dollars are widely accepted. You may sometimes get some pesos in change, but this is another good reason to have a lot of small bills. I also don't like to flash big bills around... I feel like a target for someone looking for tourists to prey on - although I will say Cozumel and Playa del Carmen feel very safe.

2. Verizon is my cellular carrier and I have the option to add an internatial plan while I'm away. I include the data plan so I can e-mail my family for quick updates and to let them know I'm OK... and to send pictures to my friends so they can all be jealous :D. Verizon charges 60/month for international data. I activate it the day before I leave and end it when I get back - then they pro-rate it for the duration I was away (usually end up paying 15-20 for a week). I do make calls with my phone, but I keep conversations very short. And as cardzard mentioned, I'm on vacation, so I just live in the moment and try to keep away from phones, internet, tv, newspapers, etc. I just like to check in with the family so they don't worry.

3. Nitrox is everywhere in mexico. And with the amount of diving you'll be doing on this trip, I reccomend it. It'll reduce the amount of residual nitrogen in your body. I don't know if this is fact or not, but I feel less tired after a dive when I use nitrox. Since it's an extra $10 a tank for the stuff, you could also consider just using it on your dives later in the day (air in the mornings, nitrox in the afternoon and/or night). When I got certified, I took the PADI online course and finihed the certification at a mexican dive shop (I think you can only view the material online for a year, but I bought the book and dive-tables at the shop so I could have a hard copy). I don't know what I don't know, but I felt the online course was sufficient (felt like I learned a lot), and it only took about 2 hours online and 20 min in the shop. Quick and easy! I also don't own my own analyzer, but so far I've NEVER had a problem with using the shop's. I don't know how this will be on this trip since we're such a large group and we get picked up by the boat (i think/assume)... but I'm guessing others with have them, and just maybe/hopefully they will be kind enough to let others use them. Hopefully someone can fill us in on that detail (cardzard?).

Hopefully this helps! See you soon!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tips Gents. I'm starting to feel like I'm prepared for the trip.

Looking forward to meeting everybody! :)

I bought a Magic Jack a few years ago, mostly to take on dive trips. With free wireless, it does allow for emergency calls back home without breaking the bank. Mine is set up to send voicemails as wav files to my email address. It is nice to have in case of emergencies.

I like to use mostly cash, but for big shopping like jewlery:wink:, I'll use the credit card.
Shhh, don't tell my husband. :shocked2:

I'm going to the Invasion. Are you?
Jump in with the rest of the crew while space is still available!

I like to use mostly cash, but for big shopping like jewlery:wink:, I'll use the credit card.
Shhh, don't tell my husband. :shocked2:

I'm going to the Invasion. Are you?
Jump in with the rest of the crew while space is still available!

:shocked2::shocked2: Oh Dennis you poor guy:shocked2::shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom