Our Coral Reefs are Disapearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soundfield

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here is a short documentary that I produced about our endangered reefs. It was shot in Saba while I was filming reef sharks in St. Martin. It's beautiful to watch, but the message is very depressing. This video has touched the hearts of many divers and perhaps it may also touch yours?

Saba (the island of Kong) and the Endangered Reefs of the World. - YouTube

Enjoy

Adam

Last edited:
You might want to dive a little closer to home. The coral in the Florida Keys is healthier than any time in the past 10 years. The Dry Tortugas is known for it's exceptional beauty. The Texas Flower Gardens is renowned for having the healthiest coral reefs in the world, and they just get better. The reefs of Mona island are vibrant, healthy, and there is plenty of natural staghorn and elkhorn, a barometer of water quality. Cay Sal Bank in the Bahamas is spectacular in terms of coral cover, fish life, and pelagic action. What do these reefs have in common? Well, besides I run a liveaboard to them all, NO ONE LIVES THERE. No one is pooping in the water, no one is raising sugar cane, no fat Americans are slathering on sunscreen and sitting by the pool.

I find the title of your thread (and the last time you posted it) to be a misleading statement designed to get attention and grab headlines, playing on people's fears rather than presenting a non-biased "documentary".

How about a sequel titled There is Hope for Coral Reef Recovery.

Capt, Frank,

I dove FL just this past spring, and although I was relatively impressed with the Reefs, the fact still remains that they are very much in danger; and you know that. Taking the position of "move along folks, everything is fine here" will do nothing to slow or reverse coral damage. For every example you gave of "healthy reefs", I could list a hundred world wide that are not. It's a big ocean, much larger then the areas that "your" liveaboards visit. Perhaps one day I will be a guest on your boat to film "There is Hope for Coral Reef Recovery". Actually, that title interests me very much.. is there hope? If I ever do produce it, I will be sure to mention you as the catalyst that started it all . Thanks for your perspective, feedback and criticism; I would think that we would both be on the same team here?

Capt, Frank,

I dove FL just this past spring, and although I was relatively impressed with the Reefs, the fact still remains that they are very much in danger; and you know that. Taking the position of "move along folks, everything is fine here" will do nothing to slow or reverse coral damage. For every example you gave of "healthy reefs", I could list a hundred world wide that are not. It's a big ocean, much larger then the areas that "your" liveaboards visit. Perhaps one day I will be a guest on your boat to film "There is Hope for Coral Reef Recovery". Actually, that title interests me very much.. is there hope? If I ever do produce it, I will be sure to mention you as the catalyst that started it all . Thanks for your perspective, feedback and criticism; I would think that we would both be on the same team here?

I don't think that we're not on the same team, but I don't know if you are looking at the bigger picture. I learned to dive at Johnston Atoll. The reefs are spectacular. Never been to Palmyra, but I have a friend who was site manager for TNC there, again, reefs beyond compare. My point is that coral reefs do well when people aren't around to muck them up. French frigate shoals are awesome according to the NOAA scientists that study there. My other point is that folks have finally figured out that humans really do impact the reefs. The Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary is going through a re-zoning process right now to reduce human impacts, but until we get big sugar out of the everglades, I'm afraid it's all for not much. The coral reef foundation and others are planting corals left, right, and center. We are making a difference for the better in Florida, but it took years of abuse and neglect to muck it up, it isn't going to recover in a day.

I was told that the feds would no longer subsidize flood insurance. Best news for the ocean in years if they actually do it. folks won't be able to afford to live on the beach any more. Maybe they'll all come to Colorado. We know it never floods there.... :)

My umberage was to your title, not to your message.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom