Our Deep Water Desal Project..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob Evans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
During the early, concept in formulization stage of C+E=DOW Desalination, we took seriously the adage:

“Whiskey is for drinking; water is for fighting.”

We were secretive, telling no one what we were planning, no emails, no telephone conversations. Every important communication was face-to-face. This gofundme campaign might be called our “coming out party.” Then, this project is not one that can be done alone; nor is water a commodity to be harvested without community participation. Validating your participation is the soul of this campaign.

Our “secret stage” created a culture of fun and adventure in combination with serious development. Deep ocean water engineering meetings at Goleta Beach. A meet with a Principal of Deloitte while waiting out flight delays at the airport in Knoxville, Tennessee. We made the most of our time around meetings with our patent attorneys in Chicago.

We opened the Chicago Athletic Association Hotel, which became our home when there. Drinks at Cindy, their rooftop bar; dinners prepared by award winning chef Pete Coenen of the Cherry Circle Room.

We scheduled one trip to coincide with a severe weather event: A polar vortex sweeping through Chicago. Neither of us had ever experienced a snowstorm. Visited places with snow, but not a storm. It lifted as we landed; returned after we left. It was not part of our destiny to experience that snowstorm. We settled for watching skaters on the outdoor rink, and sunshine over a snow covered Mellennium Park.

Time with attorneys we kept short. We’d prepare and stick to an agenda, never accruing more than an hour of time together. Patent attorneys are specialized, most have engineering degrees along with their Juris Doctor (JD). That makes them expensive, especially when you choose the very best. I learned early in my career that its generally less expensive to hire those who will do the job right, then to be penny wise and lose your dollars.

We found, or should we say he accepted us as clients, Charles Mottier of Leydig, Voit and Mayer. He is a “Super Lawyer,” rated by his peers as among the very best in the nation. (Somewhere I found a qualified rating as among the best internationally.) He is also one of the few whose work centers around intellectual property related to fluid mechanics. His protégé, Elias Soupos is a “Rising Star,” whose post doctoral research centered around hydrodynamics.

We’ll never forget the look on their faces when we finished disclosing to the concepts behind C+E=DOW Desalination, our model and plans. It took a moment, not much more than that for them to process what we described. Then, with the Chicago skyline through the window behind him, Charles threw up his arms and exclaimed, “You may solve California’s water problem!”

With their guidance and drafting skills, it’s no wonder the claims are issuing in the US.

The bill for National Stage Entry of our application filed under the Patent Cooperation Treaty has not yet arrived. We will provide it as part of our accounting of how these funds are spent when it does. Based on my estimates, your contributions to date cover only the filing fees paid to the patent offices for the regions/countries we chose. Time spent by Charles, Elias and our trips to Chicago were covered by us.

Thank you again for your support; we look forward to continuing to share this adventure with you.CHESS+EVANS LLC

Attachments

• DSC_0206-gmn.jpg
    DSC_0206-gmn.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC_0719.jpg
    DSC_0719.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC_0724-gmn.jpg
    DSC_0724-gmn.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 161
There are many reasons to support and institute C+E=DOW technologies. The most important of which is to limit the environmental impact our dependence on fresh water will drive in the future.

97% of global water supply is saline. 70% of the world’s population lives in coastal regions. In early 2016 I was reading the back pages of the Wall Street Journal. I found a quote from then California Governor Jerry Brown that the State intended to divert $17 billion from the high-speed rail project to pebble the South and Central Coast of California with 17 Carlsbad size desalination facilities. The Claude “Bud” Lewis Carlsbad Desalination Plant is the largest in the Western Hemisphere. A similar facility for Huntington Beach is approved. The West Basin (Santa Monica Bay) plant is in process for permitting. All are “coastal” desalination facilities.

Coastal desalination requires a tremendous amount of energy. 15% of the oil produced in Saudi Arabia is used to power desalination. In 2017 that amounted to 300,000 barrels of oil per day powering a combination of distillation (boiling water and collecting the steam) and reverse osmosis (filtered).

Intake for coastal desalination is from within bio-rich coastal waters. Highly concentrated brine is discharged, which includes not only high saline water, but also the remains of the marine life from intake. This creates kill zones and is changing the chemistry of the Gulf waters.

Our first thought for C+E=DOW was to lower the energy requirement for reverse osmosis by using deep ocean water pressure to naturally push salt-water through reverse osmosis filters. C+E=DOW is predicted to require around 40% less energy, primarily for extraction from depth.

It was later, after we began fielding C+E=DOW with our friends and associates in the environmental community we learned of the importance of Plankton and operating below where it and 90% of documented marine life exists.

On that note, we are going to direct you away from this page to watch a short video: “What if all plankton disappeared?” https://insh.world/science/what-if-all-plankton-disappeared/

We trust you’ll return here or to our website ChessEvans.com to learn more.

INSH | Tiny creature, big impact.

https://insh.world/science/what-if-...gkVQ8am4w38k5laUjyh6lB16lGa3DopKQ05LAqLaJUKec

Attachments

• x-32-clean-up.jpg
    x-32-clean-up.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 166
That was a mouthful! So you're moving from flippers to water treatment?

I hope it works out, I've always thought desalinization was the answer whenever someone mentions how low on (fresh) water the world is. I'm surprised your gofundme is only asking for $50k - I assumed a project like that would require millions. I'll contribute what I can.

Is there any reason you didn't include a link to the gofundme on here? I found it via google.

That was a mouthful! So you're moving from flippers to water treatment?

I hope it works out, I've always thought desalinization was the answer whenever someone mentions how low on (fresh) water the world is. I'm surprised your gofundme is only asking for $50k - I assumed a project like that would require millions. I'll contribute what I can.

Is there any reason you didn't include a link to the gofundme on here? I found it via google.

LInk is https://gofundme.com/f/chessevans

Yes. Building modules, locational deployment and executing supply requires millions. That is for a different financing level/type than gofundme. Gofundme campaign came about when the US Patent Office advised the allowance of many of our patent claims. That motivated us to pursue more international protection than we had in our wallets on the fly.

The support we've received to date allowed us to file applications, to protect our American technology, in many more countries than we could have otherwise. Much of that support came from divers! #ForceFinnersUnite for our thirst and the future of our oceans.

We also would like to see our method of desalination - not coastal - as an option considered for the State of California. As anything here requires community support, if not flat out buy-in, we think the gofundme a good way to validate that support. Please do contribute - small, large, matching - its all good! Search ChessEvans at GoFundme.com or link through to here https://gofundme.com/f/chessevans

Wouldn't just cutting off Vegas and Palm Springs solve all of California's water problems?

Wouldn't just cutting off Vegas and Palm Springs solve all of California's water problems?
Although he mentions California's problems with water, it's surely not just a Californian problem. In Florida, we've got so many bottled water companies stealing our spring water that the spring runs are permanently changing. Everyone needs solutions to this problem.

We are looking at a solution around the world - 70% of population does live in coastal zones. They will be looking at desalination, and our solution is to look Deep, instaed of coastal. Uses less energy and has less of an impact on plankton and all other marine life. Palm Springs has its own robust aquifer, and Las Vegas drains from the Colorado River Basin. Their using less could help with impact on the Gulf of California and Sea of Cortez, writing as a diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom