Out of air - circling shark - then paranoid about DCS!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Don't drop your fish. Giving up fish to aggressive sharks teaches them that divers are a source of food.

:headscratch:

He was in a near emergency. The sharks that frequent wrecks are already well versed with spearfishing activity...

Actually - I came within 1 second of dropping the gun - And probably should have. If my buddy wasnt within arms reach I would have left the gun.

No need to lose your gun. These spearfloat bags are perfect for the purpose of floating-up fish or the entire assemblage of gun and tethered shaft including fish. Hopefully the crew on the bridge will keep an eye trained on it's whereabouts.

Spear Fishing Bouys Safety Sausage

Im also never going in again without SIGNIFICANTLY more air even if I dont plan on using it. Those tanks only filled to 2400 were only holding about 88 - that plus the short filled 19's and I was not carrying enough. I should have rented when they said they wouldnt fill past 2400 - but then again, knowing that sharks and current can come out of nowhere, I probably should have turned the dive quicker. I felt what I guess was a false sense of security knowing the anchor line was so close.

At home I get my LP95's filled up to hold 118 of air - that plus the 30 (a full 30 instead of a short 19) with verified pony numbers should do the trick. Im also looking at a couple HP130s for deeper dives. Maybe, Maybe - I might turn my LP 95s into doubles - but I doubt it.

Good observation with regard to increased backgas. Sell the LP95's and aquire either HP119's or HP130's. I often read of the limited fills provided by NC fill stations. I could be wrong but I am guessing there is a tec oriented operation who offers proper fills in the region. It's a difficult process to locate and acquire but it can be done with VIP's & building a relationship.

Spearfising from charter operations including fixed moorings is tough. Scooters like the Apollo AV1's may be an answer. Also, every diver at your level should carry a cylinder pressure checker & check all tanks before gearing up. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom