Outer Banks Snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I were going to Fla, I would go on down to Key Largo if snorkling or diving was what I intended to do. There are little or no close in shore dives/snorkles to speak of.

I feel it's best to certify at home. You can take more time doing your certs, you have a local instructor to call if you have questions and you don't waste expensive dive time on a trip. As to the agency, both are fine. I personally would base my decision on how well I liked the shop, the instructor and finally cost. Make sure you compair apples to apples when compairing the cost of the classes. Some low bid then hit you with the "extras" you must also buy.

Aric:
Im not yet a certified diver and probably wont be until after a trip. Do you have to be certified to dive with a diving company? Its looking like we will be going to Florida, the places we are looking at are West Palm beach and St. Augustine. Ive heard in west palm beach the reef is about 75 ft from shore and great for snorkeling, any opinions on that? Also would you all recommend getting certified here at home (east TN) or getting certified from a dive place on our vacation?

You will have to be certified to even rent scuba gear.

I am near West Palm, down in Fort Lauderdale. The reef isn't quite 75' out, but it's pretty close. The first reef is about 100 yards out.

Having helped with both PADI and NAUI, I prefer the NAUI curriculum because it is quite a bit more thorough. They cover important rescue stuff that PADI covers in a whole different course. But, like someone else said, go with an instructor you like.

You might consider doing your courses up where you are, and then getting a referral to do the dives while on vacation. That way you don't spend your vacation time in a classroom and pool.

I contacted a shop that offers the NAUI course and he told me it would be $275 for 4 weeks (2 nights a week), sound like a good price? We are going to check this place out soon.

Aric:
I contacted a shop that offers the NAUI course and he told me it would be $275 for 4 weeks (2 nights a week), sound like a good price? We are going to check this place out soon.

It sounds a little too good to me. Some shops will list a low price for the training but not mention the extras you will be required to purchase before the class. Things like instruction books, log books, dive tables, equipment rental, mask,fins, snorkle and OW site fees need to be taken into consideration. Before sigining up at any shop, have them give you the total price and what is included in that price. You may find the more expensive shop is actually cheaper in the long run.
I am not familiar with NAUI standards but 4 days does not sound like a complete class, at least with PADI there would also be 2 more days of OW dives. This may be a referal class where you basically get the pool work done there and do the final dives some where else. Again, make sure exactly what is included in the price and what you are getting.

We went to another dive shop today just to check them out and to get a little info about their classes. Their classes are $350.95 and that includes; pool dives, review class sessions, home-study kit, use of equipment during pool sessions, openwater instructor fees and certification processing. Sound good? They were also extremely helpful when we had any question.

We are going to check out another dive shop tomorrow.

That sounds closer to the cost I would expect. Not saying the other shop is not telling you the truth but that is pretty low. I have also heard of shops giving you a low instruction cost but requiring you to buy all of your equipment from them before the class. Most of the experienced divers on this board will recommend you NOT buy anything except mask, snorkle, fins, booties and maybe wetsuit until you have done some diving. Rent, borrow or beg for a while first. There are a lot of different brands and styles of dive gear. Before buying it's best if you have a feel for what you like. You should also expect to pay the cost of diving for the OW dives-minus equipment rental or air fills. That may be in a local quarry ($15-20 per day) or they may travel....the cost could be anything then.

I just reread you post and saw this "use of equipment during pool sessions"....how about for the OW dives? I suspect it does but you gotta ask.
Typically scuba classes are broken up into 3 basic parts. Class room, pool dives and OW dives. We mix classroom and pool dives, doing 1 class and 1 pool dive on the same day for 4 days (usually 2 weekends). Then we dive for 2 days on a weekend, doing 2 dives each day. You should expect something similar.

They told us the open water dives require you to rent the gear, not included in the class cost. They said it was around $85 for 2 days, plus the entry cost to the quarry. We are going to check out the cheaper priced class shop today and get more info from them.

Ok, we went and checked out the shop that had the $275 class. First off it had a easy feel when you walk in, the guy who was talking to us about the class was very nice and calm (as apposed to the lady at the other shop who a in your face kindof person) The price includes the Student kit (textbook, workbook, submersible dive tables, logbook, certification card, decals, mask de-fog, NAUI dvd & audio CD's) use of all rental equipment (cylinders, BC, regulator system, weight & weight belt) during pool sessions and instructor fees.

The only other costs are the checkout dives which are $50 for local dives for 2 days (5 dives) and another $50 for gear rental for those days. So it looks like I might start my class sooner than I had thought.:D

forgot to add, tax is also included in the price

Glock Diver:
Check out Outer Banks Divers in Nags Head- they dive a German U-boat on a daily basis.

The dive op is Outer Banks Dive Center, www.obxdive.com. I dove the U-85, german U-Boat, yesterday. Two great dives, viz was 40-50 ft. Very mild current. It's at about 90-100 feet so BT is limited.

They generally go there a couple times a week during the summer. They do trips every day weather permitting.

Very good dive op. Very safety conscious.

Back
Top Bottom