Outer banks Wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SephirothQ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was just invited to a dive trip this summer at the Outer banks for some wreck diving.
I have always wanted to do this, but never got a chance until now. While I am enthusiastic about it, I think I have a few things working against me.
I have done all of my previous dives in a quarry.- I have never been in the ocean.
While I am advanced certified, Most of my diving has been in the 70ft or less range.
I am diving with experienced divers that could be mistaken for fish

What i have going for me I believe
I have good gear- Zeagle 911 BC, Zeagle flat head 7 reg, Octo, aries AI Comp, I have dive lights UK C8 and D4, dive tools, a set of fins i like, 7 mil wetsuit, gloves, boots, hood, pony bottle and reg, and spares of the above.

I have some time to prepare

I am looking for other gear i should bring, advice on practicing and other things to know and do's and do not aboard a boat.
thanks
I am looking forward to this.

If you are going with experianced divers they can prolly sort you out better than this lot! lol Your concerns are valid, but just need to be addressed or looked at prior to splashing in obx. On a great day the obx is magical, on a bad day it can be frightening. In the ocean you can enter on example 1, and dive example 2.
Eric

You are going to be experiencing many new things. Boat diving, currents and a fairly long ride to the sites. Most dive sites are from 1-1 1/2 hr boat ride. Depending on the day it can be like glass or somewhat rough. Try to pick your days if you tend to get seasick. If you have experienced dive buddies, you are way ahead of the game. The outer banks diving is some of the best with wrecks and sea life. I feel sure you will do just fine. Listen to the divemasters, your experienced buddies and relax.

Biggest difference other than some bumpy waves getting back on the boat is the CURRENT. If it is kicking -a** like it is here in Florida much of the time it can be quite a surprise. DO NOT LET GO of the tag line or the anchor line, even for a split second. DO NOT let current intimidate you. One hand over the other, forget all else. Stop and rest if you have to. Otherwise the water is warmer (but not always warm), and more clear and there is lots more to see. If there is not much current everything will be pretty normal.

As a NC diver with most of my dives off of our coast, I can tell you that it is some of the best diving in the world (and I've dove Little Cayman, Hawaii, Curacao, and others). I can also tell you that it is VERY different than quarry diving. Here are some tips you may want to consider since this will be your first ocean trip:

(1) Some folks who do a lot of quarry or shore diving are accustomed to bringing their gear in huge (sometimes multiple huge) containers. There simply isn't room for this on most boats. Take only what you need, pack it as efficiently as possible, and try to use a soft or mesh bag (as opposed to a hard-sided or Rubbermaid-type container) as these are much easier to stow out of the way on a boat.

(2) Unlike with quarry diving, you will be suiting up on a rocking boat with not a lot of room to yourself. Set up as much of your gear as possible on the dock (or on the boat before departure). On most boats this is required policy anyway, but even it if isn't do it anyway - it will make life much easier for you and everyone else on the boat.

(3) If you are prone to seasickness (or if you don't know if you are prone to seasickness) pick up some ginger gum. Around here they sell it at most grocery stores in the same area that you would fine the Dramamine, Bonine, and other anti-nausea materials. Unlike Dramamine, Bonine, or other medication, however, the gum will ease your seasickness without the drowsiness.

(4) Find out which operator will be running the charter(s) you are on and visit their website. You want to do this for at least 2 practical reasons: first, you can look at the boat and get a feel for whether you will be entering the water with a giant stride off the back or whether you will be rolling backwards off the side, so that you can practice the correct type of entry at your quarry (and if you can't tell, just call the dive operator and ask); second, we typically use a set up called a "Carolina Rig" that consists of a 10-15' hang bar under the boat and a system of lines that run you from the boat to the wreck, and most operators have a diagram of the system on their website so that you can become familiar with the system (here is an example from the great folks at Tortuga Charters in Morehead City - Carolina Anchor Line Rig | tortugacharters.net). A word of caution - it is not uncommon to "go in negative" on a backwards roll, meaning that you go in without an inflated BC so that you start dropping immediately and can get to the hang bar before the current takes you away from it. I mention this only because it is a very different water entry than most people are accustomed to using and may be something you want to try at your quarry if you have a platform or other slightly elevated entry point available.

(5) Once you are in the water, the biggest difference from the diving you are accustomed to doing is the current. SWFTD has already commented on this, so I won't belabor the point other than to say that you should be aware of it and remember that it will effect your air consumption.

(6) You will (or at least should!) come back up the same set of lines that got you down to the wreck. After your safety stop on the hang bar, there will (or, again, at least should) be a "tag line" running on the surface from the back of the boat. When you ascend from the hang bar you will grab this line and pull yourself to the boat. A couple of tips here. First, be very careful getting back on to the boat, as a bouncing boat ladder is essentially a weapon! Just take your time, and make sure you have a solid grip on the ladder with out-streched arms before you putting your head too close to it. Second, keep your regulator in your mouth until you are completely back on the boat; you do not want to fall off the ladder without a regulator.

(7) In terms of gear, I would suggest adding 2 items in particular. The first is a wreck reel. I carry both a large primary reel with 350' or so of line, and also a safety reel with 150' or so of line. Some of the wrecks off our coast are largely intact and easy to navigate, while others are not and can be disorienting. A wreck reel will give you and your buddy the confidence to explore the wreck site while having a line back to the anchor. It goes without saying that you should practice laying out and reeling in line in the quarry prior to your trip :D Second, and most importantly, invest in a "safety sausage", "see-me float", surface marker buoy (SMB), or whatever 40 other names they go by. I suggest a 10' version. Yes, it is a little more bulky than the 4' or 5' versions, but the purpose of a SMB is to be seen on the surface in an open ocean if you surface away from the boat and are drifting away. If you consider that part of the SMB is going to be underwater to begin with, a 4' or 5' SMB does not give you much visual aid if you are in 4' seas. With a 10' version, you have a much better likelihood of being seen. They are available for a very reasonable price ($59.99) from DiveProDiveGear (listed as the 10Ft. Open Ocean Cordura Signal Tube), but are also marketed by others.

(8) Bring tip money. The mates work very hard and usually only for tips.

My apologies for the length of this post, but I have tried to include the things I would want to know if I was preparing for my first dive off our coast. I think just by starting this thread you are already off to a great start - you recognize that being "advanced" certified does not mean that you are ready for every type of diving and are willing to take advice from folks with a little more experience in this particular type of diving. Trust your dive buddy, trust your dive skills, and most of all, HAVE FUN. Between the world-class wreck diving and big animals (our sandtiger sharks are a friendly bunch!), you are headed for a great dive adventure. I hope you guys and gals have a great time.

is it with JT? If so A) call him and talk to him (but do this anyway with your charter) B) what are your target wrecks (again talk to the captain) typically the wrecks will be decided in the morning based on lowest diver experience level/cert b) weather c) captains whim. On the SMB's carry a closed SMB (not open), with a nice valve since it can be used on the surface as a float as well. 6' is all your going to reasonably need since that will give you 3' above 3' seas. over 3' its pretty much unmanageable for all except the most skilled divers. Currents are the same story - it can be whipping at the bottom 1/2 way through your dive and nothing on the surface or the reverse. Good advise on not bringing the kitchen sink. avoid excess crap but do bring a good save dive kit for your rig.

I have done a ton of diving out there and it's going to be a bit of a jump for you. If you're going out of Hatteras inlet, most of the wrecks are deeper than 100 feet. The FW Abrahms is at around 80 feet, the Dixie Arrow is around 100, the Proteus 130, Manuela 175, etc. While a lot of people do these dives with a single tank, I think it's a bad idea because of the lack of redundancy. Secondly, the NDL's on these dives are going to be really short, particularly if you are diving with air. So far as I know, the only dive shop out there right now is going to be up in Nag's Head, so getting Nitrox/deco gas fills is going to be a bit of a hassle. Ideally, you'd want to have two tanks, and be Advanced Nitrox certified so you can do a meaningful dive at those depths.

The other thing that's going to be different from the quarry is sharks. Lots and lots and lots of them. To me, they are one of the greatest attractions in diving out there but I will admit that I was FREAKED the first time I splashed on the Dixie and saw about 100 of them. While people do spearfish out there, I have witnessed a pack of about 14 sharks going after a diver with a couple of speared fish and I would not recommend it unless you are going to do a no decompression dive and head up immediately after you hit one. (he gave up the fish and they were gone in seconds). Even then, you'll likely have "company" all the way back to the ladder.

Lastly, I see that a number of people have mentioned SMB's, one of the best reasons to have one is that with the rough seas and currents, anchor lines have been known to break or pull loose during the dive. If you hear the boat start up, it's a good indication that things have gone awry. If you get back to the anchor line and it's not there, shoot the lift bag or sausage, give it a little scope after it hits the surface, tie it off to the wreck and cut it. Make sure you tie off the line left on the reel so you don't end up getting tangled up in it or trailing it behind you. Good luck!

Bill, i agree that most of the wrecks out here are deep, but advanced nitrox and doubles?.....only if hes planning a tek trip....which hes not. wrecks in the 80-130' range can easily be dove on one tank with a pony, and if you are diving geezer gas and utilizing a computer, he would get a good 30 minutes of bottom time and have no deco obligation. Just saying.

we have a trip going - Targets are the Tarpon (130-140 fsw to the sand) and the Dixie arrow (70-90fsw) for Dive 2.
Day 2 is Proteus (11--120 fsw to the sand), and the Abrams 80-90 fsw to the sand.

These are pretty typical profiles and you may have a change of target wrecks depending on the day,weather, divers on the boat, etc.

I would plan appropiatly for gas managmeent, use 30%, stay off the bottom and keep your profile a bit shallower than the bottom depths.

I use doubles

Please carry an SMB - this is how you get found if you get swept off the wreck and have to do a free ascent. Remember the current can and DO change out there from nothing to 5 knts durring a dive, from top to bottom, etc.

be safe and have fun

here is a good site to help you plan your dives.
North Carolina Shipwrecks

Bill, i agree that most of the wrecks out here are deep, but advanced nitrox and doubles?.....only if hes planning a tek trip....which hes not. wrecks in the 80-130' range can easily be dove on one tank with a pony, and if you are diving geezer gas and utilizing a computer, he would get a good 30 minutes of bottom time and have no deco obligation. Just saying.

Oh sure, I used to dive these wrecks like that back in the day, but if anything goes wrong at 130 feet, the 30 cu. pony bottle isn't going to help you much.

we have a trip going - Targets are the Tarpon (130-140 fsw to the sand) and the Dixie arrow (70-90fsw) for Dive 2.
Day 2 is Proteus (11--120 fsw to the sand), and the Abrams 80-90 fsw to the sand.

These are pretty typical profiles and you may have a change of target wrecks depending on the day,weather, divers on the boat, etc.

I would plan appropiatly for gas managmeent, use 30%, stay off the bottom and keep your profile a bit shallower than the bottom depths.

I use doubles

Please carry an SMB - this is how you get found if you get swept off the wreck and have to do a free ascent. Remember the current can and DO change out there from nothing to 5 knts durring a dive, from top to bottom, etc.

be safe and have fun

here is a good site to help you plan your dives.
North Carolina Shipwrecks

Yeah, 30% at 130 feet gives you a p-02 of around 1.5, bad idea. It's certainly too hot for the Tarpon, which I think is a bit deeper than 140, I'd have to check my notes on it. It only comes up about ten feet from the sand and you'll be spending the entire dive below 130. This is where the advanced nitrox comes in handy. Have your tanks filled with 26% or so, and have 0-2 for decompression, and you can dive any of those wrecks. The plan often changes at the last minute.

Good luck and maybe I'll see you all out there!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom