over fill a low pressure steel tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too funny. This from some of the same crowd that would light their hair on fire if someone suggested tying their brass snapbolt on with a zip tie.

I'm sure all you guys like feeling uber cool by being bad azzes and flouting the "law" but who's going to step up to the plate and take the hit if someone hurts themselves trying to pump a secondhand tank with no burst disc to nearly twice its service pressure?? Just thinking of all the protectionist rhetoric surrounding deep air diving at al.

Foolishness

has that EVER happened? in the history of ever has a steel tank ruptured from overfilling?
european manifolds dont even have a spot for a burst disk. overfilling lp tanks isn't a DIR thing no matter how hard you try to make it one. people have been doing it for decades before DIR even existed.

oh and an spg tied on with a zip tie is fantastic if you like replacing zip ties all the time. go nuts

dale, like wookie said in 2nd post on other thread this has been through just search. this thread a member since 2007, wanting a good deal on a tank. Its just this weeks hot topic again!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way dale I have been monitoring the water temp here on whidbey and you were correct it is 40 to 41, even past 100'. I never really paid attention.

Hy yuck... Hold my beer - I've done this a million times...

Hey, I haven't died from solo diving yet either but I don't just tell anybody to do it. As long as you're willing to stand behind such advice in a public forum fill your boots. I'll continue to voice my opinion too. Personally, it just makes me filter every other discussion (like He below 100') with the "I'm just making this stuff" BS meter.

To the OP - There's a company called PSI Cylinders which is one of the leaders in cylinder inspection and testing. You could email them and see what a professional thinks instead of seeking advice from strangers on the internet regarding violating design specs on high pressure cylinders.

And just to be clear - I don't care what an individual does with their own tank but I do object to the hypocrisy that see's some public forum threads Modded for advocating unsafe diving practices and others back slapped and high fived for doing the same thing. It's either one or the other IMO.

Hy yuck... Hold my beer - I've done this a million times...

Hey, I haven't died from solo diving yet either but I don't just tell anybody to do it. As long as you're willing to stand behind such advice in a public forum fill your boots. I'll continue to voice my opinion too. Personally, it just makes me filter every other discussion (like He below 100') with the "I'm just making this stuff" BS meter.

To the OP - There's a company called PSI Cylinders which is one of the leaders in cylinder inspection and testing. You could email them and see what a professional thinks instead of seeking advice from strangers on the internet regarding violating design specs on high pressure cylinders.

And just to be clear - I don't care what an individual does with their own tank but I do object to the hypocrisy that see's some public forum threads Modded for advocating unsafe diving practices and others back slapped and high fived for doing the same thing. It's either one or the other IMO.

is it unsafe? what are you basing that on?

hate to break it to you but I dont care if you dive deep air or not or what color your bolt snaps are. but I dont wanna spoil your DIR stereotypes so I'll call you a stroke and walk away. that's what everyone wants to hear us say anyway.

Your right dale Bill High has a vast experience in scuba tank awareness as he was scuba instructor for years before starting PSI, and there is great value in the terms of over safe.

Can someone cite a single instance of an overfilled lp steel rupturing? I won't hold my breath...

I guess that's why I own a pair of old steel 100Lp It's not to hard to find a shop that that won't fill them to at least to 3500psi. I guess in the Great Pacific Northwest we just call more bottom time/more fun!!:D You do know that the US DOT governs the working pressure of these vessels and in most of Europe these same tanks are filled to working pressure 4000PSI.
This is a commonly used justification for cave fills; however, a simple perusal of the Faber catalog shows that the cylinders sold in Europe & the US have different weights and dimensions. After a phone call with the nice people at Faber Industrie, I found out they are different alloys, wall thickness, etc, and are built to different regulatory standards.

All the best, James

If you double them up, can you fill to 8k? :D

That's funny. Ask T.Bix about the time the girl tried to fill his doubles. HP130's, 3500lb rating, that's 7k. Then she charged him for the burst disk.

Besides any team member, who is looking at the SPG on your stages?

Once upon a time a man named Hal(Mr. SCUBA rings a bell) looked at my spg and said: "you read the owner's manual on this cylinder?"
I said "No" but I just got it filled down the road:wink: I think I detected a slight grin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom