Over-panicking my self about DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackson1136

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I went on my first dive in a little over a year in Monterey Bay, California yesterday. Both dives were no deeper than 40 feet and we can slow surfaces from the bottom to more shallow areas instead of doing proper safety stops. We ascended from around 15 feet slowly each time. I felt fine after the dive but a couple of hours later, my chest started hurting very slightly and I began to feel a little bit out of it. I started freaking myself out that I have DCS but I didn't really match any of the symptoms and it seems unlikely I could have gotten it from that dive. Then I almost feel like the bottom of my feet are a little tingly and feel a little numb but I can't tell if I'm just freaking myself and imagining it (I tend to do this with other things). I woke up the next morning feeling better, my chest no longer hurts as bad but I still kinda feel a tad out of it and I think I still slightly feel something in my feet. Should I be worried about DCS? I think I'm freaking myself out and making myself exegerate normal feelings but I'm not sure.

If you have even an inkling that you are injured, call DAN first. A hurting chest may not be DCS, but it could be barotrama.

If you have even an inkling that you are injured, call DAN first. A hurting chest may not be DCS, but it could be barotrama.

The pain in my chest has gone away to practically 0, I think that may have been caused by the combination of a tight suit and walking 100 yards towards a shore dives which I've never done before. I still may call DAN, I'm just worried that I'm freaking myself out over nothing

I'm just worried that I'm freaking myself out over nothing
Probably. A phone call is cheap insurance in that regard.

You are new inexperienced in diving and sufferings from who knows ?
You have a number of options
1) DAN --- If You have their Insurance
2) Contact attending doctor at Pacific grove Chamber
discuss with him-
RX ? who Knows?
3) Keep posting for a variety of responses
Some valid,,, some ???

You are new inexperienced in diving and sufferings from who knows ?
You have a number of options
1) DAN --- If You have their Insurance
2) Contact attending doctor at Pacific grove Chamber
discuss with him-
RX ? who Knows?
3) Keep posting for a variety of responses
Some valid,,, some ???
You can call DAN for advice without having their insurance.

Hello, I went on my first dive in a little over a year in Monterey Bay, California yesterday. Both dives were no deeper than 40 feet and we can slow surfaces from the bottom to more shallow areas instead of doing proper safety stops. We ascended from around 15 feet slowly each time. I felt fine after the dive but a couple of hours later, my chest started hurting very slightly and I began to feel a little bit out of it. I started freaking myself out that I have DCS but I didn't really match any of the symptoms and it seems unlikely I could have gotten it from that dive. Then I almost feel like the bottom of my feet are a little tingly and feel a little numb but I can't tell if I'm just freaking myself and imagining it (I tend to do this with other things). I woke up the next morning feeling better, my chest no longer hurts as bad but I still kinda feel a tad out of it and I think I still slightly feel something in my feet. Should I be worried about DCS? I think I'm freaking myself out and making myself exegerate normal feelings but I'm not sure.

It seems unlikely to me that this could be DCS as well. Pulmonary barotrauma is a possibility, but that typically declares itself right away, not two hours after surfacing. "Chest pain" is one of those trigger phrases for medical professionals, so my recommendation would be to go to the nearest emergency department. Diving only widens the differential diagnosis for illnesses that occur post-dive. This could be (and probably is) something completely unrelated.

Best regards,
DDM

My son Sam IV is a a local long term ER and Hyperbaric doctor-- (We raised our own Hyperbaric doctor)

In Kaliforina there is a hyperbaric doctor in
Santa Barbara
In CenCal -- Sam IV'
and in Pacific Grove

SamIV advise ...if in doubt get to a chamber or DX & RX

Only used DAN once chatted with a nurse -- not a Doctor - who asked numerous questions as a admitting nurse should
But I had DAN insurance

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom