Overexposure/Hot Spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addicted2H2O

Contributor
Reaction score
While diving Cozumel a few days ago I shot some video of Paradise Reef, which is a max depth of 40 ft. Lots of sunlight, but I still run a video light to add red back into the picture instead of a red filter. And it helps to illuminate under crevices, shelves, etc.

GoPro Hero 4 Silver (borrowed)
i-Das aluminum tray system
i-Torch Venom 38 video light set at about 1500 lumens (I think)

I noticed while watching the footage this morning that a lot of times the bottom in the background gets really bright and washed out, like hot spots. Curious as to what causes this and how to combat it.

Thoughts?

I assume you are not running the light on its highest setting if it has multiple brightness settings (and choosing flood vs. spot if that is an option)? I know some folks will rig some sort of diffuser to help with this if it is recurring problem

The funny thing is it's in areas where it doesn't even appear light is reaching. And yes, it's a flood pattern light, as opposed to a spot. And no, the highest setting is 3800 lumens. I don't know that I'd even run that at night because it would cause too much backscatter, although I have in the past along with another 2000 lumen Sola. It was like swimming around with then sun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom