Overwhelmed Beginner looking for a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Briny Liney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello!
I've done enough dives now that I think I'm confident that I want to purchase a BCD and regulators so I don't have to deal with all the stress of rentals. After that, I just need to find a regular dive buddy.
I've been doing some googling and my results have been incredibly overwhelming. I'm looking for a ladies one preferably no more that $500. But I'm confused by BP/W and other things. One website recommends the Dacor Elite while everyone seems to be talking about Zeagles, Libras, and Divas. I've borrowed my sister-in-laws Tusa Selene which was really nice (especially after the rental ones from the dive shop) but the weight pockets were tricky and a bit difficult to get them in and pull them out above water. So many attachments, buckles, and things that just overwhelm me.
So which ones are the best ones? Well made and will last me awhile?
And what's the big difference between jacket inflated and back inflated? I'm pretty sure I've only used the jacket ones. Is one better than the other?
So please help me. I want to get diving!!

IMO the "best" BC is the one that fits you best and that you're most comfortable in. Doesn't matter if it's jacket style, back inflate, or a back plate and wing...it's what works best for you that's all that counts in my book. Unfortunately there's no easy answer to point you in the right direction except to say try on as many as you can before making a decision.

I'd say if you have the opportunity to rent a back-inflate style to dive, it would be well worth your time to do so. If you're interested in something like a BP/W configuration, try to find one of those you can rent or borrow as well. Once you've narrowed your desires down to back-inflate, jacket, BP/W, big pockets, no pockets, weight integrated, weight belt, lots of D-rings, few D-rings, designed for a woman, or unisex, how much lift you want, travel friendly or doesn't matter, etc.....I think you'll find it a bit easier to know what to look at.

To answer your question about back-inflate vs. a jacket, the simple answer is that a back-inflate has the air cell behind you while the jacket style typically wraps the air cell around you. If you go to a store like Diver's Direct in FL, look at the Zeagle BCs (the Zena is the most graphic example) and you'll see that they basically have an air bladder stuck to the back of a harness. Compare that to a regular jacket BC in the store and you'll see the difference in bulk and fit. A BP/W configuration simply has a metal or plastic plate that webbing and a wing are threaded to.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the board!

This is a great question to ask.
I do use a bp/w and here ist the reason behind it. I always had a problem with trim about the only way I could stay horizontal was to kick kick kick. The other way was to take my weight belt off and hold it out in front of me and we all know how dangerous that can be. I went for the first. I also got very frustrated and quit diving for sometime. When I finally decided to try again, I was able to use someones bp/w. I tried it once and bought one right away. (I still have my old bc if interested, only ten dives)

The bp/w will always fit you as far as size and the diving you are doing! I never thought I would try to strap two tanks to my back but with the back plate and harness, I bought another wing and a few other things, ie tanks, manafold, and bands. Now I can have doubles or a single for just a little more money. Also with a few adjustments I can dive with nothing but a swim suit or a drysuit with bulky undergarments and not have it choking me or sliding of me!

Not that this is the only way but it works for me.

If you have more questions pm me.

Plumb

Hello!
I've done enough dives now that I think I'm confident that I want to purchase a BCD and regulators so I don't have to deal with all the stress of rentals. After that, I just need to find a regular dive buddy.
I've been doing some googling and my results have been incredibly overwhelming. I'm looking for a ladies one preferably no more that $500. But I'm confused by BP/W and other things. One website recommends the Dacor Elite while everyone seems to be talking about Zeagles, Libras, and Divas. I've borrowed my sister-in-laws Tusa Selene which was really nice (especially after the rental ones from the dive shop) but the weight pockets were tricky and a bit difficult to get them in and pull them out above water. So many attachments, buckles, and things that just overwhelm me.
And what's the big difference between jacket inflated and back inflated? I'm pretty sure I've only used the jacket ones. Is one better than the other?

Prepare to increase your confusion...I have followed threads like this, and with amount of opinions it will become overwhelming.
I think the responses so far will help you answer your questions and requirements
...is it simple and does it fit well?

As far as regs...simple and serviceability close by...

Good luck

I'd recommend finding someone in your area who will let you try out their back-inflate BC or BP/W. They're not for everybody, but $500 is a lot to pay for a BC and you owe it to yourself to get one you know you'll like and use for the next few years.

Also, I know you said you've rented enough to know what you want, but I did the same thing you did (rented for the first year ~25 dives) and ended up with a pretty firm opinion about exactly what I wanted. You may want to hold off on getting one until you're sure about what features you like and dislike.

As for me, I only had side-inflate jackets for rentals. I didn't like them because the air cell pressed against my sides and made me roll in the water due to air collecting in one side or the other. So it was either back-inflate BC or BP/W for me. Back-inflate also helps you stay more horizontal in the water column, which I wanted. I also knew I didn't care for integrated weights, mainly cause they were a hassle to assemble and insert, and leaving them in the BC makes it a huge, heavy pain to carry around. So wanting a generic weight belt and back inflate, I just went with a backplate + wing (but it's not for everybody).

my 2c is also to look at either zeagle (i have a zeagle tec) or bpw

why?

rear inflation (no squeeze on the twins:wink:), alot of divers buy their 1st set then later on find it doesnt suit their diving (ie, go to twins/tec, they dont like the clutter a traditional jacket has ect) and ive found this gear adaptable

despite the weight, i found the bpw very easy to travel with

my weight system is very basic and easy. the zeagle bc has yellow pencil case thingies that have weights and these fit into the bc and my bpw has weight pouches attached to the plate, both are easy to put in and easy to dump

oh, they both looks really cool :D

cheers, enjoy and welcome to :sblogo:

I would be careful about buying a BC from the internet. I did and it is one of my biggest regrets. I thought I did my research, thought I knew exactly what I was doing and what I was getting. I got about 90% of the way there, but the last 10% is killing me. I love the prices on the internet and I love the regulator I got from the internet, but iwith something as personal as a BC ts hard to get the feel of a picture. I also would feel guilty about going to the local LDS, finding the BC I really liked and not buying it from them.

If you're already overwhelmed by the choices step back and don't worry too much about a zillion peoples recommendations for this, that, or the other model. (There is alot of groupthink here and you will see the same things recommended over and over, but it actually has little to do with what you see in the real world.) There isn't a "best" and aside from the occasional dog of a model any major brand makes perfectly good BCs that will last. Almost every BC out there will have it's fans and the reasons they like theirs may or may not apply to you. And someone saying they like something without saying why isn't of much use to you.

Try and figure out which basic style you want. You can do this partly by reading about the possible pros and cons of each style. And ideally by trying each out, though this is hard sometimes. Figure out what major features you really want or don't. (Weight integration for example, some people love it and some don't want it, and this may depend some on where they're diving and how much weight they need to carry. And the difference between someone that loves it and hates it, may just be that one person got one of the good ones and the other got one of the crappy ones.) Figure out what else you care about - pockets, attachments, simplicity, whatever. IMO fit should always be at the top of your list. Once you have decided on these things it narrows your choices a whole lot. It sounds like you're a good way there, like you borrowed the Selene and found you liked some things and not others. That's how you figure this out. (You often learn more from gear you don't like.)

The last BC I bought my priority was fit, and I wanted weight integration. I had no interest in BP/W for various reasons and I didn't actually care if it was jacket or BI, for me it just didn't matter that much as long as it felt good. I wound up with a SP Ladyhawk. It fits me well, the tank is very stable, and I like the weight system. I don't like the fact that it has no useful pockets, and I do want pockets, but I've added some.

I will try and keep it simple. First decide if you want integrated weights (that is weights that are configured so that they can be carried as a part of the BC rather than wearing a weight belt), or if you prefer to wear a weight belt instead. Much of that is personal preference. Below is a HIGH LEVEL overview. There are so many BC's on the market now with so many different configurations and features...the clean delination between groups is becoming a little fuzzy sometimes.

Jacket - The air bladder "wraps" around your sides. This is, generally speaking, the most popular style used by sport divers. (You see a lot about BP/W here on the board, but we are all fanatics...so allow for that).

Advantages are you get pockets to put stuff in, when on the surface it generally acts (not designed to be, but acts) like a life jacket. Some models have integrated weight ability, some do not.

Disadvantages - Some do complain about feeling "squeezed" when fully inflated. Might be that a bit larger size would have remedied that issue, but who knows. I know the first jacket style I owned I could push enough air in it to feel that...but it was totally absurd because I would float like a cork. Because you have the bladders wrapping around you, it will feel a bit "bulky". Most severe disadvantage is that should you elect to someday go into a form of diving using double tanks, most (if not all) BC's styled like this will not allow fitting doubles onto them. As far as the "air rolling from one side to another" I personally have never seen that happen unless the user wore one way too big for them, or it was not of a very high quality. For 500 you can get a pretty decent one where that would not be an issue if it is sized correctly.

Rear Inflation. The air bladder is to the rear, and does not wrap around you. Again a fairly popular style.

Advantages - some have pockets you can stuff things in, better models (probably out of your price range, but not much) will accept double tanks with the addition of some hardware, however usually you may have to upgrade the bladders to a higher lift capacity depending on the model you bought to begin with. Because the air bladder is behind you, there is a sense of a bit more freedom of movement. Many of these have metal rings on the harness or belt that you can clip accessories to. Again, some come with integrated weights, and some do not. Zeagle BC's (I am not that familiar with other brands as I have one of these) are modular to a degree where you can replace components such as the wings if they wear out.

Disadvantages - Generally you will have to "trim your weight" with this style. What that means is that depending on what kind of tank you use, the bouyancy of that tank can vary. Many of these style BC's have weight pockets as a part of the tank bands so that some of the diver's weight can be placed in them to assist this. Again you will hear comments around "it wants to float me on my face" and it will...if you inflate the bladders to capacity and have no tank trim weight. With a little practice you can actually roll against the bladders and lay on your back much like an air mattress.

BP/W (Backplate and Wing). A stainless steel or aluminum metal plate with a web harness attached to it. Also attached is a "wing" (airbladder). The harness in it's base form does not have pockets, but they can be purchased as add-ons, as can pockets specifically designed for weights to be stored with a quick release mechanism in case of an emergency. Backplate setups can be extremely varied if you decide you want to go this route.

Advantages - Can easily accommodate both single or double tanks with some very minor modifications. Probably more a feeling of freedom of movement than the previous types. Is extremely flexible in terms of fit to the user...since you are in essence using a web harness, it can be sized exactly to you versus having to live with "small, medium, large", etc. Is also flexible in terms of attachments...you can go bare-bones" or put in accessory pockets if you want those. Will usually have "d-rings" similar to the back inflation model for clipping extra gear to. A fairly large variety of wings can be fit, including ones with different lift capacities and even ones that are double redundant with dual inflation hoses and bladders. One of the largest advantages in my mind is that the whole thing is modular. If a piece wears out, such as the wing, or the harness, you can buy that one piece and simply replace it rather than having to reinvest in an entire new unit. Because of the way these units are constructed, with a metal backplate, you will probably be able to reduce the amount of weight on your belt by several pounds.

Disadvantages - Not very many however the wing portion needs to be purchased a bit more specifically to your diving. A larger wing designed for doubles may not do well with a single tank, and certainly there are wings designed more for singles that will not accomodate doubles (but then getting an additional wing is cheaper than a new unit, and can be fitted in a short time period). Many owners of these type BC's have more than one wing, or several setups, depending on if they are going double tanked or single. Depending on brand, capacity, etc, you might be able to get in under 500.

In the end...do an appraisal of what you think your diving future is. If you right now think you would want to dive for a while and after time go into techinical diving or another form requiring double tanks...you might consider the BP/W setup (you can get a wing designed for a single tank setup and progress to an additional wing for doubles if you go that route). If you are going to probably be doing single tank setups and just having fun for the next 3-5 years go with a jacket or rear inflation type. You can always go BP/W later and keep the jacket for those trips where you are going to just do single tank diving.

I agree with almity...a Zeagle is a good way to go to start (they are high quality, some of the models will take doubles, and they are rear inflation). Having said that, I do have a Zeagle, but I also have a BP/W unit as well. But I would also caution that this really is a personal choice...and I would encourage to read and follow Damselfish's advice as well. In the end...you are the one that is going to own and wear it!!!

Hello!

=====================================

I've been diving since the early 70's and have owned/used just about every possible floatation device. But if I was starting all over again tomorrow, I'd most likely go with a back-inflate style of some sort.

Depends a lot on your style of diving as to which exact type/brand etc ...but I do think that back-inflate is the way to go. If you are doing mainly single tank recreational diving you might want to look at the Seaquest or Zeagle models.

MJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom