OW at 55!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stephen pedi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wondering how many get certified at this late an age. So far i really enjoy it and am currently working on my AOW..I own my own boat in the western long island sound and dive off it as often as i can but often wonder if i'm a little crazy to start such a journey at this late an age.

Welcome! I think it's pretty common for older people to get certified, as it is a pretty expensive hobby. What kinds of things are there to see in the sound? I've encountered bunches of jellyfish on the North Fork, horrible if you're trying to swim and play in the water, but would be great if I were on scuba.

I got my CCR cert at 69. It's never too late.
I dove in Bonaire in 2014 with this old Marine in his 80's!
CO_CO_DSC01688.jpg

You are only too old when you are physically unable to dive. Lots of options to adapt your equipment to the aging body and it is always possible to find somebody younger to carry your gear, especially if you have your own boat there will be plenty of volunteers. I am 73 and still enjoy cold water.

Welcome! I think it's pretty common for older people to get certified, as it is a pretty expensive hobby. What kinds of things are there to see in the sound? I've encountered bunches of jellyfish on the North Fork, horrible if you're trying to swim and play in the water, but would be great if I were on scuba.

This is very true!

So far only a few dives but have seen black fish, sea robins, horse shoe crabs and an ancient barge. Not ideal visibility but i like blowing bubbles and definitely need to acquire more skills and experience.

You are only too old when you are physically unable to dive. Lots of options to adapt your equipment to the aging body and it is always possible to find somebody younger to carry your gear, especially if you have your own boat there will be plenty of volunteers. I am 73 and still enjoy cold water.
That's about it. I got OW at 51 and still am very active at 66. From 58 through 61 I was a working DM. Now I do the same type of shore dives--even the odd one diving wet in winter here (20 minutes, 1 dive only). Only change has been a gradual eliminating of sites requiring any kind of long walk from the car or ridiculous climbing up & down rocks at the shore. You have to make it so it is still fun and won't kill you physically.

Right on to all of you in your 60s and older...you guys kick a$$ for setting a great example!!

@stephen pedi Congratulations on discovering a whole new realm of our big, blue marble!

I took Advanced Nitrox, Decompression Procedures at 50 and Trimix at 51. We’ll see if I continue to Advanced Trimix after I gain more experience with basic Helium dives or sell my soul to the Devil and take the Rebreather fork in the road.

I think staying fit goes a long ways towards extending one’s enjoyment of life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom