OW Cert Dives in GC January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So we pushed our trip back to late April and and I just locked in @ Sunset House for 4/25 to 5/1! Delta had smoking deal from DTW to GCM ($484)

Doing our referral dives on 4/26 and 4/27, then boat/shore diving the rest of the trip!

Very excited. We had reserved Little Cayman Beach Resort for the same dates, but they called back and could not get us on referral dives until 4/28, so we would have been beach bound for 2 days. Not the worst problem to have, but this is a dive trip! They were really nice and we were within the 10 day cancellation.

Thanks everyone here for the great suggestions and help.

Sounds great! Just so you are aware, Sunset House is not all-inclusive. Breakfast is included but there are 2 restaurants on the property and they are close to George Town where you will be able to find other eating choices. If you are planning to rent a car then there will be many options for good places to eat on GC.

I'm just mentioning it because previous posts about Cobalt Coast and Little Cayman Beach Resort were referring to All-Inclusive resorts (drinks are not included unless you buy a drinks package). So if you are trying to compare "apples to apples" then be sure to add in the expense for additional meals for Sunset House.

Thanks Kathy- Yes, we are prepared to eat out lunch and dinner, but at least there are plenty of options. I figure we are getting a good deal on the flight, so a little extra on food is OK. Plus I get free checked bag and carry on with Delta, so I am going to pack some snacks!

I don't drink alcohol, so no problem there!
The money I save on that from my past life could pay for 10 Cayman trips hahahaha

Thanks Kathy- Yes, we are prepared to eat out lunch and dinner, but at least there are plenty of options. I figure we are getting a good deal on the flight, so a little extra on food is OK. Plus I get free checked bag and carry on with Delta, so I am going to pack some snacks!

I don't drink alcohol, so no problem there!
The money I save on that from my past life could pay for 10 Cayman trips hahahaha

Sounds good! There are a lot of great places to eat on Grand Cayman, but snacks are a good idea because it can get pricey. When the departure date gets closer you will be able to get a lot of good advice about food venues.

Even the grocery stores here have amazing take out options for reasonable prices. I am not sure what pricy means but given the options across the board it doesn’t have to be in your vocabulary

Sunset House should suit your needs perfectly. On site shore diving, dive shop and boat diving.

There are a number of previous threads with relatively cheap eats on GC.
Caydiver made a good suggestion re take away from the grocery store. Fosters has a take out section which we frequently take advantage of for lunch. Salads, local style hot dishes and patties make for a great picnic on the beach.

So we pushed our trip back to late April and and I just locked in @ Sunset House for 4/25 to 5/1! Delta had smoking deal from DTW to GCM ($484)

Doing our referral dives on 4/26 and 4/27, then boat/shore diving the rest of the trip!

Very excited. We had reserved Little Cayman Beach Resort for the same dates, but they called back and could not get us on referral dives until 4/28, so we would have been beach bound for 2 days. Not the worst problem to have, but this is a dive trip! They were really nice and we were within the 10 day cancellation.

Thanks everyone here for the great suggestions and help.

Glad you found a good deal. You will have a great time. Since you settled on Sunset House, here is an excerpt from an old post of mine:

I have stayed at Sunset House on more than one occasion and here is what I can tell you about staying there:

1. It is a very well run operation. Rooms have been upgraded recently, the pool has been redone also and the dive boats are very comfortable and safety oriented.

2. Breakfast is included in the package, but it is a pretty unspectacular breakfast. It is certainly adequate, but nothing to write home about.

3. Package includes 2 morning boat dives and they will all be on the west side walls and inner reefs. They do keep a boat on the north side and on occasion, will bus everyone over there for some North wall diving. Weather has to cooperate and a group of guests will need to request and desire to do it. You will probably have 10-15 divers per boat. There will be 1 DM/Dive guide in the water for the entire group. He/She will lead a 30-45 minute dive and eventually bring everyone back to the mooring line. At that point, the DM will make sure everyone looks up and sees where the boat is and will wave goodbye and surface and you will be free to continue to dive your tank with a 60-70 minute time limit.

4. The on site outdoor restaurant and bar is really great for lunch and dinner. A very nice variety of food options that will take you many days to tire of, including very good Indian food. And the setting is spectacular, with gorgeous sunsets. There is another restaurant as well, over by the pool, but I always eat at the outdoor restaurant (called My Bar). The indoor restaurant is essentially the same menu, but a more upscale vibe to it.

5. It is walking distance into downtown (10-15 minutes).

6. They offer weekly Kittiwake and Stingray City dives for a slight up charge. I got the opportunity to do a night dive on the Kittiwake and that was pretty cool. These dives are in the afternoons on specified days and are an additional charge and not part of the package.

7. You will be assigned a locker where you keep all of your dive gear, when not using it.

8. There is unlimited shore diving on site and it is actually better than most people think. Especially if you really explore around and don't just do the typical dive out to the statue or wreck. The diving to the south end is really pretty good. South of where the dive boats are moored. Very easy entry with a simple giant stride into the water and a nice ladder exit. Showers and rinse tanks are just a couple of steps away from the entry/exit.

9. The dive shop closes around 5-5:30pm. So, if you want to do a night dive or early morning dawn dive, you need to get your tanks before they close and put them in your locker. They do have both 21% and 32% nitrox available.

10. If you decide that you don't want to rent a car, they will pick you up and then drop you off at the airport. I'd recommend renting a car though. If you want to do shore diving anywhere else on the island or hit up any other 7 mile beach restaurants and night spots, you will want the car.

11. They do not offer afternoon boat dives (with the exception of the Kittiwake and Stingray City mentioned above). So, if you decide you want to do some additional afternoon boat dives, instead of shore dives, you will need to go with another operator. I am pretty biased toward Brad Nelson and Cayman University Divers. https://www.cudivers.com/

12. WIFI is very good at the restaurant/bar/lobby and any room close to those locations. It can be a bit spotty the further away you get from them.

13. This website will really go a long way in educating you about all of the dive sites and locations: Best Dive Sites Grand Cayman - iDive

14. Sunset House/Divers is a PADI and SSI dive shop for the sake of certification needs.

Woahhhhh.

Great information, thanks!

Scubaboard Rocks!!!!!!

Just another update. Sunset House is now under the Management of an incredible man who has a long history here both in diving and boating (big stuff). He came back to Cayman to bring Sunset House back to its glory days. So far so good. Between new boats, renovations to the property etc, he is well on his way to making it truly special again.

I am excited, especially with the -8F temps in Detroit today.....

I may now be travelling solo, so shore diving may be tricky in the afternoons. I see you can pay $50 for a Buddy, or I can hope for another solo traveler, or book with another outfit and go out on a boat? Any recommendations on what to do ? Will I be able to "buddy up" easily?

Here is my schedule so far:

4-25 Arrive 1:00 pm-Relax, swim, snorkel, eat, sunset
4-26 AM Checkout dives 1 & 2
4-26 PM Snorkel, relax, maybe Georgetown?
4-27 AM Checkout dives 3 & 4
4-27 PM Afternoon buddy dive from shore or boat dive with another outfit?
4-28 AM 2 Tank Boat Dive
4-28 PM Afternoon buddy dive from shore or boat dive with another outfit?
4-29 AM 2 Tank Boat Dive
4-29 PM Kittiwake Boat Trip
4-29 Night Dive w/ Sunset House
4-30 AM 2 Tank Boat dive
4-30 PM Snorkel trip to Stingray City (can't dive-flying next day)
5-1 AM Swim, snorkel, gift shop
5-1 PM Depart 1:40 PM to Detroit

I am excited, especially with the -8F temps in Detroit today.....

I may now be travelling solo, so shore diving may be tricky in the afternoons. I see you can pay $50 for a Buddy, or I can hope for another solo traveler, or book with another outfit and go out on a boat? Any recommendations on what to do ? Will I be able to "buddy up" easily?

Here is my schedule so far:

4-25 Arrive 1:00 pm-Relax, swim, snorkel, eat, sunset
4-26 AM Checkout dives 1 & 2
4-26 PM Snorkel, relax, maybe Georgetown?
4-27 AM Checkout dives 3 & 4
4-27 PM Afternoon buddy dive from shore or boat dive with another outfit?
4-28 AM 2 Tank Boat Dive
4-28 PM Afternoon buddy dive from shore or boat dive with another outfit?
4-29 AM 2 Tank Boat Dive
4-29 PM Kittiwake Boat Trip
4-29 Night Dive w/ Sunset House
4-30 AM 2 Tank Boat dive
4-30 PM Snorkel trip to Stingray City (can't dive-flying next day)
5-1 AM Swim, snorkel, gift shop
5-1 PM Depart 1:40 PM to Detroit

I like your schedule-- Cheers and enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom