OW cert requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raven_nh

Reaction score
Hi, new to the whole diving thing, have taken a discover scuba course etc, Interested in taking the OW certification, Im curious on the 200meter swim/ 10 minute tread water, are these done with or without equipment on? And do majority of rental places need medical type card along with certification?

Thanks for Info,

Michael

Depends on the agency and instructor. When I originally did my OW I was allowed to wear my fins, mask and snorkel for my swim but had to go 600 yards rather than 300. As far as treading water I did that in just my swimsuit.

But like I said this from my understanding completely up to the agency and Instructor. So ask your instructor to know for sure.

Most agencies require a 200 yard/meter swim with no equipment.

Some have different requirements, for example YMCA requires 300 yds, NAUI requires 15 stroke cycles (but most NAUI instructors require 225 yds) and PADI gives you an option of 200 yds OR a 300 yd snorkel.

raven_nh once bubbled...
And do majority of rental places need medical type card along with certification?
Usually you don't need a medical form, unless you have checked "yes" to one of the questions on the form.

The PADI forms are typical, but they will vary slightly from agency to agency.

http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/forms/default.asp

If you are inquiring whether or not a medical card is needed AFTER certification, that depends upon the dive boat / rental operation. It's uncommon in the US. Sometimes there is a rather long waiver form where you are supposed to indicate with a check if any of the medical conditions listed apply to you.

The medical history form is designed to determine if you have any medical conditions which might pose added risks to you as a recreational diver. You should answer the questions honestly (not "supposed" to answer as indicated by another poster) -- they are for your safety and not the instructor's.

If you answer "yes" to any question on the form, then you will need to get a medical release signed by your doctor indicating that he has reviewed the issue and feels you are clear to dive. Or, perhaps, the two of you have worked out parameters that would permit you to dive more conservatively.

In any case, if you require a medical release to get certified, then I would HIGHLY recommend you carry a copy of it with you anytime you go diving. Keep a signed original in your divelog and get a new release signed each year when you get your physical done. Then, when you get to your dive destination, you should be sure staff at the destination are aware of any risk factors you have and let them make a copy of your meidcal release... this ensures that they are aware of your risks so they can help you should you need it and, at the same time, ensures that you have the paperwork you need to be able to dive.

I have never seen a diver who had a signed release less than one year old rejected from any dive. And, of course, the release is only needed IF you answered yes to any of the medical history questions.

Okay, thanks for all the info, trying to get things in order before take course/trip etc.. Appreciate the help..

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom