Ow in bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other day my LDS owner said he wasn't sure if I could permit a student to take his OW class in a BP/W. Just for kicks I called PADI HQ and talked with one of the "Education Reps" (or whatever they are called). I asked my question, she sighed and said she used to own a dive shop and they used BP/Ws! We laughed and I hung up.

It would be preferred if you took OW with an instructor who was familiar with BP/W set ups. If that proves to be impossible, at least find someone who is, who can help you make sure that your harness is set at a good length for you, and the D-rings are at good locations for you. Of course with your exposure protection on.

If you go with this LDS and instructor, whether or not he lets you use your own kit or not, it would be interesting for you at some point to spend some time in the water with an instructor who is familiar with BP/w and can help you to understand weighting options and other fine points.

I took my OW in the shop's gear, bought a BP/W, long hose, etc, took AOW from an instructor who permitted it, but was vocally against the gear (called it unsafe). For Rescue, I found a shop where the instructors were familiar with the gear (because they are also tech instructors). Where I live, BP/W has not caught on yet for non-tech. I even had trouble buying the gear, because sales people told me that it was not the right set-up for me. So I can appreciate your situation.

I took my OW in the shop's gear, bought a BP/W, long hose, etc, took AOW from an instructor who permitted it, but was vocally against the gear (called it unsafe). For Rescue, I found a shop where the instructors were familiar with the gear (because they are also tech instructors). Where I live, BP/W has not caught on yet for non-tech. I even had trouble buying the gear, because sales people told me that it was not the right set-up for me. So I can appreciate your situation.

You gotta love salespeople telling you what's best for you.

The reply from the lds.

All equipment used during training has to be from our training department. It's an insurance issue. As soon as you have your full open water certification, you are free to dive with whatever equipment you choose. But during the pool sessions, it has to be our equipment. That way, everyone learns with the same equipment.

:eek:fftopic: Totally off topic question:

Kenny Kustom, why did you buy your kit before your OW course? Especially such an expensive set-up. Have you tried diving before, what if you don't like it?
:focus:

The reply from the lds.

All equipment used during training has to be from our training department. It's an insurance issue. As soon as you have your full open water certification, you are free to dive with whatever equipment you choose. But during the pool sessions, it has to be our equipment. That way, everyone learns with the same equipment.

Who does that benefit?

Mismatch. Keep looking...

The reply from the lds.

This is marketing strategy 101.....get people to train on a certain brand, and there is a much bigger liklihood they will buy it.... They are already familiar with it, and the average person like familiarity over striking out into the unknown.

Kenny, I think the lds is being very disingenuous! That's me trying to be nice :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom