OW training and DSD questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To answer your DSD question as simple as possible: if he was following DSD standards, the instructor should have been with your son (i.e. less than arm's length) the entire time your son was in the water. That means the instructor should have been right next to your son as your son ascended the ladder onto the boat, where presumably another crew member could assist your son with his gear.

Sounds like the instructor left a little too early, and he figured it was no big deal because everything turned out ok. He probably does this all the time, and so far everything has turned out ok.

There was a very lengthy discussion about this in the A&I forum a little while ago... minor violations of DSD standards are regularly brushed off by instructors because "everything turned out ok." Essentially, they violate standards until that one time things don't turn out ok (which is why the discussion was in the A&I forum.)

Hey mate you're the dad, you're responsible for the kid no one else or stay on shore

Hey mate you're the dad, you're responsible for the kid no one else or stay on shore

Your comment is unnecessary and not useful to this discussion. Mate.

Here in the US, our legal system would certainly disagree with you. In the situation described by the OP, the instructor that was providing the DSD was responsible for the safety of the kid while that kid was in the water.

Sometimes being responsible for your kid means putting them in the care of a qualified and responsible professional. The dad was there with his kid, and the dad is certainly right to question the behavior of the instructor that was (according to the agency to which the instructor belongs) a violation of standards.

Your comment is unnecessary and not useful to this discussion. Mate.

Here in the US, our legal system would certainly disagree with you. In the situation described by the OP, the instructor that was providing the DSD was responsible for the safety of the kid while that kid was in the water.

Sometimes being responsible for your kid means putting them in the care of a qualified and responsible professional. The dad was there with his kid, and the dad is certainly right to question the behavior of the instructor that was (according to the agency to which the instructor belongs) a violation of standards.
Of course I agree. Otherwise there would be no baby sitters, schools, daycares, grand parents looking after the kids, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom