• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Owning cylinders - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Diving Into New Gear' started by B.Elster, May 12, 2019.

1. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Taking it. Me teach it? Haha.:rofl3:

BikerBecca likes this.
  2. eelnoraa

eelnoraa DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I think you should read the entire sentense, and not quote or read out of context. As you can see, I don't agree 2x AL80 should cost $700. That means I don't agree one AL80 should cost $350, right? I believe $350-$400 is about the cost for two AL80s. But this is of course united state's price. Now sure if Canada is the same.

3. AustinV

AustinV Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I have 3 HP100s, 2 AL80s, 1 AL19, & 1 AL40. Pretty much gives me the freedom to take whatever I need when diving and not have to count on shops for rentals. I have found some steel tanks have pretty different buoyancy characteristics as well, so I like knowing my tanks and exactly how much weight I need.

4. pauldw

pauldw Solo Diver

Regarding Canadians not wanting to pay high tank prices, it seems clear that the solution is for Americans to meet and trade them tanks for pharmaceuticals.

Satrekker, Ana, RayfromTX and 6 others like this.
  5. Esprise Me

Esprise Me Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    We're gonna need every last person and moose in Canada to take up diving.

pauldw likes this.
  6. TrimixToo

TrimixToo Regular of the Pub

And, the class will pay you back, even though stickers are expensive. O2 cleaning is not that hard. Depending on the agency, it might or might not be included in the VIP class. However, you might not have room for the stuff you'd need to do your own.

7. KWS

KWS ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I have not read all the posts to this but I think the math is a bit flawed. I think you can only look at the cost of the tanks. perhaps 300 the rest like the regs and air should not be counted because air costs are moot as to whether you own or rent. teh regs are moot unless you are renting them and if ou are they are still moot because that cost does not change. so if ythe only aspect is changing form renting to owing the tanks it is only a 300 dollar difference that is 8 dives and you now have your ROI. Buy the tanks.

8. TrimixToo

TrimixToo Regular of the Pub

Actually, I think I erred above. ISTR the O2 cleaning is part of one of the blending classes, not a VIP class. I can't actually recall which (TDI or PADI), as I took them both (one was free!).

9. 0321tony

0321tony Angel Fish

Well for me its not really an option not to own my own tanks, I am a three hour drive one way to the nearest dive shop I can rent from and then I'd have to drive to return them so I would be out 12 hours driving to rent a tank (two trips up and back). It costs me $25 just to get an air fill where I am at but at least its only an hour drive round trip to get that done, so I have several of my own tanks.

10. hhmoore

hhmoore Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I didn't stop to check your location; but your statement makes no sense (at least for my location). The difference between an air fill vs tank rental is so minimal (here) that it would have taken me years to reach ROI. Buying tanks, for me, only made sense for the convenience factor.