Oxycheq 18lb wing attachment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once you do that, won't the cam straps hold the wing in place, loosely without the tank but securely once the tank is installed?

Once you do that, won't the cam straps hold the wing in place, loosely without the tank but securely once the tank is installed?

Yes that is looking like the best & easiest way to go. The only problem is their 18lb wing dose not have preexisting holes for the cam bands to go through. So I would still need to know if I can cut my own holes in the right places on the wing without cutting into the air chamber. Then the tank would be able to hold the wing in place under the bands only as the harness itself is not rigid but that should be enough to keep it from moving. The only long term problem I can see would be the stress on the ends of the cam band holes I would be cutting into the wing.

Yes that is looking like the best & easiest way to go. The only problem is their 18lb wing dose not have preexisting holes for the cam bands to go through. So I would still need to know if I can cut my own holes in the right places on the wing without cutting into the air chamber. Then the tank would be able to hold the wing in place under the bands only as the harness itself is not rigid but that should be enough to keep it from moving. The only long term problem I can see would be the stress on the ends of the cam band holes I would be cutting into the wing.

I have both the Oxycheq 18 lb travel wing and the 18 lb Mach V and they have cam band slots right where the built in STAs are located.

I have both the Oxycheq 18 lb travel wing and the 18 lb Mach V and they have cam band slots right where the built in STAs are located.

Thanks, I did not see that on the pics from their web site. How far apart are the upper and lower cam band slots? Of the two types of 18lb wings which do you prefer and why?

Last edited:
If you are using the Oxycheq Mack V 18 Lb wing and if my understanding that it has the same slot spacing as my 30 Lb Extreme, you should have no trouble. The cam band slots in my wing measure about 9½" tall. The top slot is about 3½" and the bottom is about 5" separated by a piece of webbing you could cut and move.

Honestly, I wouldn’t use any of my Miller or home-brew commercial harnesses for recreational diving. I like my stainless Freedom Plate with a wing the best for cold water where I need the weight and the old plastic pack when I don’t want the extra ~5 Lbs. That Oxycheq fabric travel “plate” is more comfortable than my Miller harness, but that can all change with body-type. I’m a runt at 5' 6". I do wear a commercial-style home-brew weight belt with two D-rings and add a D-ring on the back plate belly band though.

Attachments

• Buckled.jpg
    Buckled.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 315
Four: I will use a 1980s blow-molded back pack for warm-water travel on my 30 Lb wing. I find it more comfortable than the Oxy-travel plate. It is only slightly heavier and larger. I add a second cam band through the hand holes and it aligns with the Oxy wing, which has very long slots. They are much closer than standard spacing but rock solid. You can still buy them with a molded handle on top.

I think Trident sells just the plastic part without the webbing or cam band for a lot less.

Piranha Dive Manf sells the two different types of plastic backplates for $13.00 each.

Back
Top Bottom