Oxycheq 3 Watt LED Torch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mangrovejack

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I noticed that Oxycheq doesn't have a dedicated sub-forum, so I thought I'd post here instead.

I received two of the new (black) Oxycheq 3 Watt LED torches (uses 3 AA batteries) as my backup torches, and I thought I'd post my thoughts.

They seem well constructed, nice and solid in feel. A bit bigger than I expected, but for me that's a good thing as I like to hold a solid torch as I have large hands. I like the double o-ring seal as well. The light output was beyond what I expected too, very bright and perfect for my use as a backup when I use my HID canister torch or as a primary when I don't need the canister.

I have a few issues though for Patrick to possibly look at:
1) The outside even though it has finger "holds", can still be slightly slippery. Knurling would fix this easily.
2) Where the front glass is bonded to the aluminium looks a little untidy and unfinished to me. A little more of the silicon sealant (sikaflex?) would make this look a little nicer. This is only a cosmetic thing, I don't think it will impact usage in the real world though.
3) One of the torches wouldn't turn on when I received it. I swapped the battery harness with the other one that did work to ensure it wasn't the batteries or harness that was at fault, but it still refused to turn on. I did further checking and it appears the solder "blob" that the battery terminal presses against was not large enough and was slightly off-centre which didn't allow the battery terminal to fully press into it. I haven't returned it (shipping it from Australia to scubatoys in the USA will cost more than its worth I think), but I'm thinking of adding more solder to allow a decent connection. Perhaps this can be fixed in future by soldering a brass battery spring terminal or something similar instead of relying on the solder blob which looks like over time would wear out rather quickly?
4) The hole in the end for the lanyard or in my case the cave line to bolt snap connection is a little rough. It needs to be deburred otherwise I can see the cave line slowly getting chaffed to the point of cutting the line. Not sure how long this would take realistically, but the edges are rather sharp and protruding. I'm thinking of getting a small jewelers file and deburring it myself and then coating the raw aluminium with some black paint to seal it up again.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded post, but I thought people would be interested in hearing this.

Thx for posting! I'm in the market for dive lights and the OxyCheq is one of the lights I was looking at but couldn't find any feedback about.

No worries, I too couldn't find any reviews of the torches, but they were cheap enough to give them a shot.

For the price, I think they are great, I was also looking at the Dive Rite backup LED torch, but its more than double the price. The Halcyon scout was also on my list, but its price is even more than the Dive Rite, so at the end of the day the Oxycheq won out for me.

I just got several of the Oxycheq 3W lights in stock and I am impressed with the light output. I got my 10W HID cannister out and checked the light output against the backup light. The LED was whiter and pretty much as bright as my cannister light. Any differences where very minor. I checked it against a couple of different 1W LED lights and it blows them away. It matched my cannister light in terms of spot size from the 4 to 25 feet I tested it at (size of the room I was in).

I think this light makes an excellent backup light from a light output point of view. I was also impressed with the double o-ring seal. Adding a clip to end and I think these are an excellent light. The low price only makes them more appealing.

Mat.

Here is a video I made comparing the OxyCheq light with 4 others.

We have following lights compared in this video:

• UK SL4 LED
  • Pelican Saber Light (standard)
  • Pelican Recoil Saber Light LED
  • 10W HID Canister
  • OxyCheq 3W LED
Anyway here is a link to the video:

YouTube - OxyCheq 3W LED Backup Light

Mat.

Can someone tell e how this light switches on/off? Does it have a switch, or do you screw the bezel down? I've flooded too many lights, and am looking for ones that have a dedicated switch.

thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom