Oxycheq Mark V 18 or DSS Torus 17 wing for most streamline BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andy2667

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am now using a Halcyon Infinitie BP/W using 30lb lift wing with all unnecessary accessories removed. STA is required for this Halcyon system. Always think that I can build a more streamlined BP/W system for tropical water diving.

It seems that both Oxycheq Mark V 18 wing and the DSS Torus 17 wing are small enough for a good candidate of such system. However, online specification is misleading:
- DSS Torus 17 measured deflated, widest width is 14"
- Oxycheq Mark V 18 when fully inflated, 11.5" wide

Not able to compare their size (width) on apple to apple. I presume that the narrower the wing, the more streamline it will be. For those who have used both, would be very much appreciated if you could comment on the above and compare their size.

Make things more complicated, the diverite 25lb travel wing spec is 15" width when fully deflated??! Seems not to be a lot wider than the above?!

(P.S. After using free diving fins, I think streamline and light weight with high efficiency is the way to go. In future, will use Air 2 or the like to replace Octopus, air integrated computer to replace Submersible pressure gauge with hose for streamlining. Now already bought free diving mask. Wonderful).

Thanks

Andy

air2's actually create more drag if you are using a primary donate system. The secondary under your chin doesn't add any appreciable drag, but the air2's tend to hang down so it's very misleading.

If you want the most streamlined reg setup, you definitely want to go to a hogarthian regulator setup. It will get it very streamlined and much safer as compared to a normal golden triangle regulator setup

I think you're splitting hairs with the two wings above though the DSS backplate will allow the tank to sit closer to your back than the Halcyon which helps with streamlining.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, I use air 2's and it doesn't dangle any more than an inflator, it is slightly larger though.

I'd have to measure to give you a number, but DSS 17 inflated is very narrow. Plus, DSS flattens when deflated to be even more streamlined. The Oxycheck will stay closer to it's inflated shape, so it will be slightly less streamlined compared to the DSS.

full.jpg

Check all your hose routes and bungee down anything than hangs. My gauge and inflator could be tucked better.

full.jpg

I dove a Dive Rite Transpac with travel wing for many years. Good BC and wing, but it traps air because they put the same bladder as the 35 lb voyager inside the smaller outside shell of the travel wing. Dives well but venting at the end of the dive can be annoying.

Last edited:
You will love either of those two wings. The new dive rite travel wing looks pretty good too, but a bit bigger than the oxycheq or DSS. The customer service at DSS is really excellent, that's something to consider.

I agree with tbone about the Air2; it won't make you any more streamlined than a hogarthian set up and there are some real disadvantages.

I think you're splitting hairs with the two wings above

those oxychecq 18 wings look slightly more streamlined then the DSS, but i agree, doubt it'll make any difference in practice. both are good companies and im sure OP would be perfectly happy with either.

wife and i dive 25lb wings single tank for both dry and wet, a hollis s25 and a DGX 25lb, with the DGX laying a bit 'tighter' around the tank like the oxycheq, while the hollis is a bit more 'flappy'. i can't tell em apart in the water. /shrug

Everyone has their own way of doing things, I use air 2's and it doesn't dangle any more than an inflator, it is slightly larger though.

have you dove an air2 and a necklaced secondary back to back?

IME, the air2 feels like a anchor compared to the necklaced secondary + standard power inflator. think its mainly because of that large QD fitting they use, and in order to have full head movement when on the air2 as a reg, it requires a fairly long corrugated hose and cannot be stowed tight to the harness / BCD. shortened my corrugated hose by 6" when i switched over to a standard inflator; air2 would end up tucked up under in my armpit, but the power inflator sits nicely right above the left d-ring. personally, i think it could use shortening by another few inches to put it closer to the top of the left shoulder blade, but seems a bit silly to buy yet another corrugated hose and LPI hose for such a minor tweak.

as always, your rig, your preference.

My gauge and inflator could be tucked better.

you can choke the bolt snap up closer to the gauge, but then the hose bits a bit flappy behind your elbow. its amazing how much of a difference a 2" shorter HP hose makes!

AlexL,
I have dove them both ways (started diving in '71 so I've tried a lot of stuff) and didn't care for the short hose secondary on neckless or the 40" hose primary, it just doesn't fit me. I consider the air2 as a bailout system, 99 out of 100 dives are open water with an abundant air supply above, the people I dive with are all self sufficient solo divers that dive together and with the viz we have been having its very easy to find yourself alone. If I were diving caves I would use the hog set up for sure.

On the main question; I use a dive rite xt 35 for cold (99% of my diving) and an xt 25 for for warm water. I had an oxy 30 and found it to be great quality, sold it because I couldn't inflate it without bending my VDH backplate, had a DSS wing and sold it because the center hose location interfeared more than I like, although as Tobin says you can just turn the tank slightly which I did and it worked fine but not when I use the argonaut kraken. Of the two wings asked about I would pick the DSS.

Between the Oxy and the DSS, and having owned 1 DSS wing and 1 Oxy wing, I would take the Oxy. They're both good quality, but the Oxy has a zipper to let you access the inner bladder, in case you have need to do a field repair of a puncture or pinch flat. The DSS Torus wings do no have a zipper for access to the inner bladder. All other things being relatively equal, I would take the one that would let me do a field repair.

Check all your hose routes and bungee down anything than hangs. My gauge and inflator could be tucked better.

You could substitute shorter hoses on both.

You could substitute shorter hoses on both.

I use the shorter 12" corrugated hoses from DGX on all my Oxy wings with 18" inflator hoses. I found the corrugated hoses that came with the wings were too long. Inflator hose length is dependent on first stage port configuration. On my MK10s for example I need a 22" inflator hose but on all my diaphragm regs I use 18". I run the inflator hose through the D ring bungee loop, it keeps the inflator unit in place but still allows easy vertical dumping should the need arise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom