Oxycheq - Replace Tank Strap Buckle Only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
The buckle on the top tank strap on my wife's Oxycheq backplate is broken. Photo attached.

This is the second breakage (cheap plastic?). The person who fixed the first one (the bottom strap) replaced the entire strap and buckle assembly.

I'd like to replace the buckle only, but the stainless steel bale (?) is so stiff that I can't see any way of removing the buckle from the strap. Is this possible or do I need to replace the buckle and strap as a single assembly?

I'm hoping that I'm missing something obvious.

buckle.jpg

They are usually a whole unit replacement. You might be running your tank strap too tight if your breaking them. I like the stainless steel ones myself but I haven't broken the plastic ones either. Wet the strap first so everything pre stretches when you assemble the tank and wing that easy everything settles in without having to go hulk tight on the strap.

What about replacing the whole unit with a Dive Rite SS cam buckle strap?

Yes. I could do that. But the point of replacing only the buckle was to save some money. The buckle alone costs about half as much as a buckle and strap together.

They are usually a whole unit replacement.

If that's the case, then why do so many places sell the buckle by itself? If you can't replace the buckle without also replacing the strap, then why sell the buckle alone?

Got the picture!

Edit: I have to thank you for that post. You had me laughing all afternoon.

That's funny man!

Hey but if you have access to a vice and a screwdriver

Edit: Brother some laugh some cry, others scream and the rest shake their collective head
and don't forget the villagers with their pitchfork

If you are located in Thailand thats perfect you should have no problem finding a local sewing shop that will sew a replacement on for a couple Baht. Maybe this time go with a stainless one that can not brake.

are they the same stainless buckles that chew the paint and galvanising off your tank or are they different ones

are they the same stainless buckles that chew the paint and galvanising off your tank or are they different ones

Haha yeah those ones. I was just trying to offer a solution to the broken plastic one. I guess its a trade off; you get a lifetime use unbreakable stainless buckle that gives your tanks that special custom paint chip rusty spot look and you don't even have to pay extra for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom