Oxygen compatibility, materials and explosions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rabe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, we all know that if we don't follow the procedure (cleaning, handling, etc.) if the equipment is exposed to high concentration of oxygen, we can have fire or explosion, and have terrible times.
But...
Do you know anyone that has ever had this problem?
Or, do you have any story regarding the issue?
I'm just curious about the topic and I would like to know how serious is the hazard.
I guess blenders are more exposed to the problem.
I also guess that a 100% oxygen tank should be handled with extra care compared to a 32% nitrox tanks...

Two instances I've seen, a Marshall Islander/Bikini Atoll Dive Guide and a CCR Diver at Truk -both absentmindedly cranking anti-clockwise open -instant full impulse on- their tank valves (pre-dive, out of the water pressure & flow check).

The tanks were Oxygen filled, and the effect for the CCR Diver was much more catastrophic than an exploding SPG face gauge and a smoking 1st Stage: An out-of-control "O2 welder torch" that completely cut through the brass 1st Stage reg; burnt-up destroyed wing & scorched scrubber canister, and extensive 2nd degree burns up his left arm with a small third degree patch by the wrist.

Last edited:
Damn

Issues happen every few years, almost always with aluminum tanks/threads or with HP seats or regs

Explosion and fire took off a guys arm
Burned a boat to the water line
Combusted seat poisoned someone's gas
Its more common than you think

second hand - My instructor's buddy, needing to feather a valve for deco due to a failure, had the reg light up killing him....

Iraq War Vet Dies in Unlikely Scuba Explosion
Alot of the details are not printed in the article since the investigation continued long after this print. This guy worked at my LDS for a while but then moved on from there and had been gone a few months before this happened. I know the LDS owner and was enlightened of some of the details of the investigation. The tank was a 30 CF filled with 100% 02. From what I was told the tank either fell over or he dropped it and it blew or the valve hit when it fell or was dropped and opened too fast and it blew. Some of the details were undetermined as fact and were speculated as what may have occurred. The facts they do know was that the tank contained 100% 02. I guess this was confirmed by where it had been filled when they tracked that down.

...I guess blenders are more exposed to the problem....
Gas blenders rarely get hurt because they train over and over with 100% O2 and understand proper protocols with it.

The people who most often get hurt are the users.
Train, test, evaluate
Train, test, evaluate
Train, test, evaluate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom