Oxygen narcotic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[abstract] DOES OXYGEN CONTRIBUTE TO THE NARCOTIC ACTION OF HYPERBARIC AIR?

This one does exactly that. It essentially finds that substituting O2 for N2 doesn't reduce narcosis. Both studies probably have very valid findings and are reflective of the fact that we really don't know to what extent O2 is narcotic. It should be more narcotic than oxygen, but metabolization likely reduces that effect. So functionally, it's hard to really say if there's a meaningful difference. Until we have more concrete evidence, the prudent thing to do is treat it like nitrogen and use helium if you really want to see a meaningful difference.

[abstract] . Both studies probably have very valid findings and are reflective of the fact that we really don't know to what extent O2 is narcotic. It should be more narcotic than oxygen, but metabolization likely reduces that effect.
O2 is more narcotic than oxygen. I am confused

[abstract] DOES OXYGEN CONTRIBUTE TO THE NARCOTIC ACTION OF HYPERBARIC AIR?

This one does exactly that. It essentially finds that substituting O2 for N2 doesn't reduce narcosis. Both studies probably have very valid findings and are reflective of the fact that we really don't know to what extent O2 is narcotic. It should be more narcotic than oxygen, but metabolization likely reduces that effect. So functionally, it's hard to really say if there's a meaningful difference. Until we have more concrete evidence, the prudent thing to do is treat it like nitrogen and use helium if you really want to see a meaningful difference.
Thanks. FWIW let me read the study (headed out the door) and see if I can find any meaning differences between study protocols that might at least explain different results.

I agree that the difference, if it truly exists, is probably minimal. I only pursue this because some divers seem to insist they have the answer based mostly on personal experience or theory. And just in case it might be helpful to recreational divers that know themselfs to be more sensitive to narcosis and for which helium is not a viable option.

Interesting info. So lets say that they are equal in their narcotic charactistics. you still need depth to put being narced into effect. In the rec relm of diving that is not going to happen for the most part. That still leaves us with nitrox being a good gas to use below the narc depths of what,,,, 150 ft for the majority of divers. and use of helium below 100 ft as a good measure for some and the majority below rec depths. So nothing has really changed. The general idea of O2 is ok till you get below rec depths then you need to reduce it along with N2 with introducing He to the mix. N2 already accepted ad not good below rec depths.

Other than that it sounds like a discussion from 2 perspectives,,,,, one being the rec divers and another being from the tech world. because of the depth differences in the diving,,,, the 2 views are apples and oranges.

This sounds like a taxation argument between a guy making 20 K and the other making 200k and the 20k guy saying taxis are not too high and the other saying they are . Both on the opposite ends of the progressive rate table.

O2 is more narcotic than oxygen. I am confused
Well if you read the abstract it is pretty clear. Or you can be a grumpy old troll. Your choice.

"Although not a biochemically inert gas, oxygen has a lipid solubility which is almost twice that of N2, and O2 may therefore exert an narcotic action apart from its biochemical effects."

Thanks. FWIW let me read the study (headed out the door) and see if I can find any meaning differences between study protocols that might at least explain different results.

Well its an abstract, published almost 30 years ago. At least a couple of the authors are deceased now. So good luck finding details.

Other than that it sounds like a discussion from 2 perspectives,,,,, one being the rec divers and another being from the tech world. because of the depth differences in the diving,,,, the 2 views are apples and oranges.

The question, is 02 narcotic, originally came from Trimix class materials, so not exactly from a perspective of rec diving. :)

The question, is 02 narcotic, originally came from Trimix class materials, so not exactly from a perspective of rec diving. :)
You are absolutely right. Unfortunately in so many discussions the question of whether nitrox is a scam or not comes up and it is becasue it is being looked at form a tec point of view. I was asked about this a couple of weeks ago about O2 being narcotic and whether it is unsafe to use nitrox in rec diving.

Well if you read the abstract it is pretty clear. Or you can be a grumpy old troll. Your choice.

I was having fun because what I quoted said "Both studies probably have very valid findings and are reflective of the fact that we really don't know to what extent O2 is narcotic. It should be more narcotic than oxygen, but metabolization likely reduces that effect."

I always thought O2 was oxygen.. maybe I'm just as I typed, confused.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom