• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

oxygen tank death

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by abnfrog, Oct 11, 2019.

1. abnfrog

abnfrog Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    ok fair enough , but hi pressure air and o2 is used by use so much I think we lose prespective on what we SHOULD be doing , that why I stay up on it as much as possible ..AND to impart that to my students doing vip and 02 cleaning / blender

2. Peter69_56

Peter69_56 Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Ever tried to unscrew a scuba tank valve with 10 BAR in it? The pressure lockes the thread, regardless of if it is loose when empty or not so I would think it would be near impossible to unscrew the valve past the point where it comes out. However some commercial tank valves have tapered thread, so I am wondering if it was faulty thread/damaged, and this with the taper of the thread has allowed the valve to blow out? Just a thought anyway.

3. grf88

grf88 Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    The report stated that corrosion around the valve was a suspected cause. Quite possible that the corrosion allowed the cylinder to stay gas tight until disturbed by rough handling.

Bob DBF likes this.