oxygen tank death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are talking about cylinder valve, which would require torque wrench with long arm, not such regulator wrench.
The OP was about a tank valve coming off a full-sized cylinder, but I thought some of the other comments were about how to tighten a regulator to a full-sized tank, whether to use a dedicated wrench or an adjustable, etc.). I may very well have been wrong.

yep it went astray , somewhere , just wanted to point out o2 is more dangerous than reg air

The OP was about a tank valve coming off a full-sized cylinder, but I thought some of the other comments were about how to tighten a regulator to a full-sized tank, whether to use a dedicated wrench or an adjustable, etc.). I may very well have been wrong.

I was just commenting that a cheater bar, used by @happy-diver shown in his post # 62, page 7, is a no no in where I work. @Wookie is more concerned about the adjustable wrench part.

I will try to post a picture of it. It’s base metal is 6061 hex bar stock, maybe 1”, maybe 1 1/4”. The end is a perfect hemisphere, with DIN male threads.

Here is one like it, with a different business end.View attachment 545390
Thanks, that's enough for me. I can measure the actual threads on a regulator & get all the thread data that I need.

yep it went astray , somewhere , just wanted to point out o2 is more dangerous than reg air
I must have missed something. In what way does this example show that O2 is more dangerous than air? It looks to me like this example shows that high pressure gas is dangerous, regardless of gas type. Are you saying that because corrosion was said to be present that the corrosive properties of O2 are to blame?

not in for a battle

I doubt rolling a cylinder would cause the valve to come out of a pressurised cylinder in good condition. However that being said the article provides no additional information of the condition of the cylinder or valve threads. We have found some really scary stuff over the years we have been hydro testing. Here are two attached. BTW, the bad cylinder was a bank cylinder from a dive shop! That kind of damage would only take a bump just right and oh oh!!

Most industrial cyls use either a 3/4 or 1 in NGT thread and are torqued to 120-150 ft lb.

Some more interesting pics

dsc00757.jpg
valvethread.jpg

scary stuff, for us in the industry

not in for a battle
I wasn't looking for a battle. It was an honest question. Sorry if I came off as being combative.

Back
Top Bottom