Ozzie cave diver dies on Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kay Dee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
But.................not in an underwater accident, so maybe not the right forum for this thread. RIP to both men anyway!

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceani...osion-in-solomon-islands-20200921-p55xip.html
Australian and British bomb disposal workers killed by blast in Solomon Islands

And from an NPA press release;

Two NPA staff died in tragic accident in the Solomon Islands

- We can confirm that two of our colleagues have died in a tragic accident in the Solomon Islands, says deputy Secretary General at Norwegian People's Aid, Per Nergaard. The two perished are dual citizen of Great Britain and New Zealand, Stephen «Luke» Atkinson (57), and Australian citizen Trent Lee (40).

- This is a tragic accident. So far, we know that there has been an explosion with fatal consequences. Our main priority now is to offer assistance to relatives and colleagues, and to clarify what has happened.

NPA's activities on Solomon Islands have temporarily been put on hold, and NPA is working together with the Royal Solomon Islands Police Force which is investigating the incident.

The accident took place in the Solomon Islands, where NPA is assisting the Government in developing a centralised database that gives an overview of the extensive amounts of explosive remnants of war contamination dating from the Second World War. NPA is working with the Royal Solomon Islands Police Force, Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team, to develop an effective nation-wide information collection system.

- We are devastated by what has happened, and for the loss of two good colleagues. Our thoughts and deepest condolences go out to their families, relatives and staff, says NPA's Secretary General Henriette Killi Westhrin.

- The safety and security of our staff is our highest priority, said Nergaard, emphasising that the investigation needs to be completed before there can be a conclusion on the cause of events.

Trent Lee cave diving stamp.jpg

So if I read correctly, an EOD team brought some UXO back to the flat and it went boom? I don't know if I should feel sad for the loss of people dedicating their lives to a good cause, or reach for the Darwin award.

But.................not in an underwater accident, so maybe not the right forum for this thread. RIP to both men anyway!
Yeah, divers of all kinds die in various ways while not diving and this is not a dive accident at all so I am curious why you posted in the dive accident forum.

So if I read correctly, an EOD team brought some UXO back to the flat and it went boom? I don't know if I should feel sad for the loss of people dedicating their lives to a good cause, or reach for the Darwin award.
They were heroes doing heroic work at the explosion could have killed them wherever they did it, but it seems careless to take such work into a residential area.

Not a diving accident. Moved thread to 'Non-Diving related Stuff.'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom