P-valve, balanced vs unbalanced - discuss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSpiffy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Thinking ahead to getting a drysuit and a P-valve will be included. Advantages/disadvantages of either? Personal preferences?

I've been described as "having half a bladder". When on driving vacations with wife, I'm the one who needs to stop at the rest areas. I had a box of adult undergarments for when I got my cert (LDS does all training in drysuits) and never had to use one, but I intentionally reduced liquid intake before dives and there was a conveniently located sanican for between dive visits at the training site.

Yes, I pee in my wetsuit; it's mine and I clean it; I'll pee in it if I want to! :D

Balanced means that, if you don't prime it, you won't get to 30 feet and feel as though delicate parts of your body are being suctioned out through the tubing. It also means you can develop a leak that fills your suit with urine when you pee.

Unbalanced means you have to prime. One of my balanced valves is in the process of becoming an unbalanced valve, because the duckbill balancing device has just plain failed, in such a way that I'm not optimistic for a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom