• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

P valve & condom catheter 101

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by DaleC, Dec 18, 2009.

1. CamG

CamG Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Greetings fellow P-valve lovers just a quick question I use a 1-10 bleach wash on my valve and rinse very well with fresh water. I remove the valve every time and make sure it is completely dry inside and out. I have been doing this since I got it and have had no issues at all. Is this a bad practice or should I be rinsing with something else?
    I remove the valve after diving before I rinse. I do not like the idea of bleach on my dry suit!
    Obsession600 all the valves I have seen have a barb or quick - disconnect barb that connects the catheter to the hose. I have used both and elect to just use the factory barb. It is a little harder to remove without leakage but has never failed.
    I used it today quite a few times very successfully and the water temps were 41 -42 at surface and depth. I also drank a lot of water, both dives were in the 120' range.
    It was very comfortable because of the valve, I will never be without it again!
    CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

2. chrispete

chrispete Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    A couple of o-rings work perfectly for this.

3. chrispete

chrispete Divemaster

There's a reason that the instructions say to use Aquaseal. Using silicone on a drysuit invites some real problems down the road. It may hold a seal perfectly well until such time as you need to redo the seal or change out the valve. At that point good luck getting any adhesive/sealant, including more silicone, to stick to the (now) silicone impregnated material. It's a real pain to get the surface free of silicone again.

4. DaleC

DaleC Solo Diver

I call b_llsh_t. Many suit manufacturers use silicone beads and the advice was given to me by someone who installs them. My buddy just pulled his inflator valve off his DS at the beach yesterday and the silicone bead (factory installed) came right off. Silicone will not adhere to a trilam drysuit. Nice try though.
    It's funny that you would worry about silicone gumming up the suit but not Aquaseal. What happens when you have to redo a seal that uses that?

5. ImUrPropofol

ImUrPropofol Solo Diver

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Thanks for the link Jax, I'll check it out.

6. FishDiver

FishDiver Manta Ray

My valve was installed with plenty of hose for the "U" method. It works well perhaps 75% of the time. I am thinking of shortening the hose and trying the "straight line" method.

Which routing is more popular? Any downside to the straight down method?

7. spectrum

spectrum Dive Bum Wannabe ScubaBoard Supporter

U method here. That puts the QD top dead center where it's easy to work.

8. Superlyte27

Superlyte27 Cave Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Thanks for the info guys.

9. laughingsquid

laughingsquid Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
    I must be dense, but I'm as I type this, am installing my pee valve. With respect to the U routing of the hose, do I route it up the middle of the abdomen then down? Will it stay secure that way?

10. BabyDuck

BabyDuck Orca

yes, exactly. yes, it will. have fun!