Pacific Flatworm & Nudibranch ID books wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kupu

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am starting to build a library of marine ID books, it is time to know more about what I am seeing underwater. It is exciting to reach the point of having seen and photographed enough critters to want to invest in the books to do so.

My #1 addiction right now is focused on marine polyclads and opisthobranchs. Endless variety and color, and easy to photograph for ID. I am interested in all regions, but for now and the foreseeable future I will be diving mostly tropical Pacific and especially in SE Asia and am looking for books that focus on that area of the globe.

I think I am fairly well covered on nudibranchs with Nudibranchs of the World by Debelius & Kuiter and Coleman's Nudibranch Encyclopedia on the way soon. I really like Coleman's 1001 Nudibranchs but it is out of print and looks like it will be replaced by his new book. Any other recommendations are welcome.

I am having a harder time finding resources for flatworm ID. Right now I am looking at the Flatworm Set by Newman & Cannon, which includes the book Marine Flatworms and the CD Fabulous Flatworms for about AU$90. Also I like Nudibranchs & Sea Snails by Debelius, although it is not focused on flatworms, it has a small flatworm section, and the rest of the book is good for snails n slugs. Can anybody point me towards other books I should consider?

The 1990 edition Manual of Marine Invertebrates by Haywood & Wells is available for $6, I reckon I should pick it up for that price, but can't find any reviews.

I know there are several good web sites for slug aficionados, but want to include hard copys that I can hold in my hands and flip thru at my leisure. And I'm on a dial-up connection for half the year...

I would really appreciate feedback on my picks and any other worthy books before I shell out too many clams:theyareon

I too enjoy them little rascals! Here is one I shot in December 07 in northern Fiji at a site called E-6. I hope you enjoy and if you can identify it all the better. My site has a few and I am trying to grow my collection as well!
600__MG_5406_Blue_Flat_Worm_FA_III_07.jpg

This one was taken in Beqa Lagoon Fiji:

600__MG_4746_Flat_worm_Beqa_Fiji_07.jpg

Thanks for sharing, nice shots. Thats a good name for your website too.

It can be a bit difficult to be sure on some species when making a ID. Sometimes the exact same flatworm can be given completely different names depending on which resource is being used. Obviously somebody is wrong, but it can be tough to know who to believe. I tend to go with the majority if there are conflicting names.

The top two are fairly straightforward. 1st one is Pseudoceros susanae, 2nd is Pseudobiceros hanckockanus.

My best guess on number 3 is Acanthozoon sp 1. A number of shots of what look like the same worm are identified as Thysanozoon nigropapillosum, and some info on nudipixel even says they are different names for the same worm. But I tend to believe the majority and there is info at the Italian Polytechnic University of Marche which states that T. nigropapillosum lacks the milky white coloration of Acanthozoon, also pictures of Acanthozoon seem to indicate it has a longer body than the squarish T nigropapillosum. Anyone who can contribute more info to help make a positive ID please chip in.

And for number 4 all I can find is that it is a Pseudoceros sp. Which doesn't really narrow it down much.

A couple pictures to illustrate...

I believe this is Acanthozoon sp. 1

And this Thysanozoon nigropapillosum

Hey thanks! I like getting as much info on these guys as I can! Humman identifies #4 as a Leopard Flat Warm! That is also what I call these Purple and Yellow beauties! Thanks again! BTW did you look at the other Nudi's on the site?

Heres a couple more

Psuedoceros bifurcus from Bunaken, Indonesia

Psuedoceros scriptus from Davao, Philippines

So has anybody been able to have a look at either the book or CD from Newman and Cannon's Flatworm Set? It would be great to get some feedback before I break down and buy it, but maybe I just have to take a chance?

I just had a deeper look at your nudie pix, some more nice ones there. I am a big fan of the Flabellina family, nice shots of Flabellina exoptata and Flabellina rubrolineata if I see those pink ones correctly.

Also glad to hear a common name for Leopard flat worm. Most of the info I have just gives scientific names.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom