Packing a BP/W for Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not trying to start any debate - just trying to share some info because I often hear that plates are too heavy to travel with. I'm leaving in 2 weeks for Cozumel so I was packing my bag. I thought I would weigh it when I was done.

FWIW - All my main gear goes in a Patagonia Black Hole 60L. It is a duffel bag right at TSA size limits that you can also wear as a backpack. I wear it as a backpack. I also carry a messenger bag for my travel stuff but I do carry a few items in it: my main mask, computer and all my batteries. In my checked bag are my fins, boots, my cutters and the rest of my clothes.

So in my Black Hole going in first:
-bathing suit, jammer, long sleeve and short sleeve rash guard.
-dive socks, bandanna and my beanie
-large DSS steel backplate, webbing, D rings and 2 large double enders.
-2 Cam bands and 2 weight pockets
-My regulators in a padded reg bag with brass spg, transmitter and 2 bolt snaps.
-Mask in a box
-snorkel
-2 DGX dive lights with bolt snaps
-3 foot dSMB and reel and double ender
-5.5 foot SMB and double ender
-4 extra boltsnaps/double enders on a d-ring. Some extra caveline and bungie.
-17 lbs wing folded (the wing is actually sitting on the reg bag)
-3 mm large wetsuit (Stuff going in last is against your back)
-2 boonie hats

26 lbs (rounded up). As a backpack, to me, this weight is a non issue. My 5'4" wife, who is a wimp :), carries similar with no issue. In fact, we are flying into Cancun and will "bag drag" this from Cancun to Playa de Carmen via bus or taxi, ride the ferry and then taxi to our hotel. Since we are carrying our gear on, we don't pay baggage fees and we don't have to worry about dive gear getting lost or damaged.

Switching to an aluminum plate would save 3 lbs dropping the bag to 23. Shrug...

Each to his own, just thought I would share my travel load out.

Never mind. Didn't read OP thoroughly.

I'd be interested to hear if folks with weighted STAs travel with them? I need one for freshwater. I'd need it even more for saltwater.

I have traveled with my steel plate multiple times - Mexico, Roatan, Dominican Republic, US and Canadian destinations. I have an aluminum one but mostly could not be bothered for the sake of saving 3 - 4 lbs and needing to add it back in lead.

@Charred: Nice system. I assume it goes in overhead bin.

Why not put the BP/W in the checked bag?
I'd be interested to hear if folks with weighted STAs travel with them? I need one for freshwater. I'd need it even more for saltwater.

I've done so in the past, but now I just keep a couple of Halcyon trim weight pouches on the STA. The weighted STA makes it hard to keep my bag weight under 50 pounds, especially when returning with damp gear.

I take the pouches with me; I don't take any weights.

I either dive an aluminum Backplate and Transplate, or a Transpac with either a 36 or 23 pound wing. My wife dives a jacket style Aqualung Luna. Regulators with AI computers go into our backpacks which we carry on. Both sets of other gear go into a large wheeled suitcase. It weighs 48# ish. My minimal clothing and her entire closet goes into another large suitcase and weighs almost 50 pounds. We fly Southwest to Cancun so no additional bag fees.

I have a small travel scale and if damp gear puts us over 50#, we move stuff around or buy a small bag to carry on.

This system works for us. I have a pipe dream of all gear and clothes going in a carry on, but fins make it difficult.

Safe travels,
Jay

I take the pouches with me; I don't take any weights.

I'm not talking about soft weights. I'm talking about a STA with the built in weight. Mine has a 5lb weight slab in it.

I'm not talking about soft weights. I'm talking about a STA with the built in weight. Mine has a 5lb weight slab in it.
Sorry. No I do not take a STA.

Back
Top Bottom