Packing for the island hop with Cayman Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathy, as usual you are a wealth of Cayman info. I had to go back and check, they have made a few changes, looks like a 3 hour layover if we arrive on time.

My must have list...

Contacts, primary computer, reg set, wetsuit, mask and my Freedom backplate :D. Clothing optional. :wink: Yeah, yeah I know. Rental won’t kill me but its been, ahem, a number of years since I have been in rentals. My ow class in fact.

So, I am looking at a medium size duffle (about a pound) or an ultralite roller bag (about 3 pounds). I already own both. Aside from weight, either more likely to be accepted on the plane?

I really don't know how the baggage handlers make decisions about what goes and what stays behind. I am sure that certain items have higher priority. There is a supply barge that comes to the island once per week (weather permitting) that carries a lot of perishables and other goods - but some stuff must come by plane.

Our last trip, the bag that was delayed looked just like our other bag that wasn't delayed and they weighed about the same, so it may just be luck!

When you are getting ready to leave the resort, you may be able to pack a bag and send it over to GCM a day in advance and that increases your chances of having all your bags arrive with you when you get home; but if they don't have room the bag will be waiting for you at LCM when you arrive the next day to fly out.

Years ago TACA airlines serviced areas of Central America including Honduras, and you could count on delayed and lost bags. People used to call it "Take A Chance Airline" or "Take Another Carrier Always"! I remember one time we were asked to select one bag (for both of us) that was guaranteed to be put on the plane with us. We carefully picked one bag and it was labeled with a colorful tag - and of course it was the only bag that didn't make it!

In the old days, ALM was the main air carrier to Bonaire, and everyone used to call it "Ah! The Luggage, Man!" airline.

Cayman Airways is much more reliable than any of those old-time carriers IMO. Most of the time your luggage arrives with you, or maybe one bag will arrive the next day; at least that has been our experience. But the luggage delays on LC may get worse during the winter - because it is the busiest season and the days are shorter - and the planes can only fly in and out of LC during daylight hours because the airport is unlighted.

Thanks Kathy. I think I had misread some of the posts and thought there was a chance my carryon might have to go with the checked and could be late as well. So if it isn’t a problem for carryon I think I will use my lightweight roller bag. Much more suitable for custom lines than a duffle.

Thanks Kathy. I think I had misread some of the posts and thought there was a chance my carryon might have to go with the checked and could be late as well. So if it isn’t a problem for carryon I think I will use my lightweight roller bag. Much more suitable for custom lines than a duffle.

Sorry that I wasn't clear. I think it is likely that your carry-on bag will go with the checked luggage and therefore it could be delayed.

It is unlikely that your lightweight roller bag will be allowed in the cabin with you on a twin otter. When you check in they will probably insist that you add the roller bag to your other bags and it will be counted in your 55 lb. limit. You might even need to check the duffle if it is a good size. There are no overhead bins and very little leg room in the cabin on a twin otter. They might let you carry it to the departure gate to "gate check" it - if you tell them that it contains delicate equipment - I'm not sure. I think sometimes folks with major cameras have done that, but if the plane is full and heavy, something may be left behind for the next flight.

That's why I carry a largish purse containing essentials like contact lenses, medications, and c-cards, so that I can carry it onto the plane with me and smash it into the tiny space under the seat in front of me. So far they haven't made any objections about my purse.

Maybe others on SB have had different experiences or can offer other suggestions?

The LC airport doesn't take larger planes so you will board a twin otter either in GC or on CB (if your flight stops on Brac on the way) and there just isn't room for carry on luggage.

There's no guarantee that your bag will be delayed but it does happen occasionally. I think that it is more likely that a large bag would be delayed, because it takes up more room and they can probably stash a small bag in the hold more easily - but that's just a guess.

Here is a photo of the interior of a De Havilland DHC-6 Twin Otter, the model used by CAY, and you can see that there really isn't much room. I vaguely recall one flight when there weren't many people on the plane so they modified the seats in the back to turn them into cargo space to transport goods - but I am not sure if that was in Cayman or someplace else. But if you are traveling to LC on the weekend, it's likely that the plane will be full.

Cayman Airways is pretty good IMO, but the reality is that you are going on a small plane to a tiny island with a little airfield, so there is a chance something will be delayed. It's inconvenient, but it is usually only for a day.

Sometimes you are the unlucky one and will have to "make do" for a bit. I hope that it doesn't happen to you - or to us either when we go to LC later this year!

dehavilliand-dhc-6-300-696-7.jpg

Thanks Kathy and I hope I haven’t given the impression that I am a prima donna and need all my bags but I certainly don’t want to arrive with no luggage! My concern is simply for the carryon to arrive with me. So sounds like my best bet is my small duffle. I have used it before on an island hop from Curacao to Bonaire many years ago and then they just let me hold it.

But with your most appreciated advice I will also pack a small foldable bag to remove my personals in case they take my duffle too.

Looking at the photo (thank you) I think my duffle will fit ender the seat.

Thanks Kathy and I hope I haven’t given the impression that I am a prima donna and need all my bags but I certainly don’t want to arrive with no luggage! My concern is simply for the carryon to arrive with me. So sounds like my best bet is my small duffle. I have used it before on an island hop from Curacao to Bonaire many years ago and then they just let me hold it.

But with your most appreciated advice I will also pack a small foldable bag to remove my personals in case they take my duffle too.

Looking at the photo (thank you) I think my duffle will fit ender the seat.

No, I don't think you are a prima donna, I hate it when I have had delayed luggage in Cayman and elsewhere! We love Little Cayman but I wish they had a bigger airfield that could handle more flights and larger aircraft like Brac; getting to/from LC can sometimes be a challenge - it's a good thing that the diving is so lovely when you get there!

Very helpful thread as I will be in Little Cayman August 3-10 with at least one other ScubaBoard member.

Does anyone know the maximum size of a carryon that will fit under the seat in the Twin-Otter puddle jumper?

Very helpful thread as I will be in Little Cayman August 3-10 with at least one other ScubaBoard member.

Does anyone know the maximum size of a carryon that will fit under the seat in the Twin-Otter puddle jumper?

I found the information below on the Cayman Airways web site and it actually seems more generous than has sometimes been my experience in the past. Sometimes they are more stringent and other times more flexible in regards to luggage size, weight, and overweight fees depending on how heavy, busy and crowded the flight will be.

Personally, I have found that the airline staff may be more easy-going about luggage when we are going to Brac because CBM accepts larger planes and gets more flights than LC. Usually when we fly to Brac it is on a turboprop, but we have on occasion taken the jet or one of the twin otters to Brac.

I have also noticed that the staff at GCM tend to be less concerned about baggage weight and size then they usually are at LCM for the return flight.

But I do recognize that luggage size and weight is a significant concern on a small plane. As I mentioned, once when flying to a Bahamian Out Island, they weighed each person and then our luggage before allowing us on the plane and before packing the hold with cargo.

Cayman Airways - Baggage Policy

Notes:

When travelling to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman via the Twin Otter Service; Baggage allowance is 55 lbs per person (combined weight of up to 2 pieces) and only one 15 lb carry-on, any excess will be charged US$0.50 per pound.

Cayman Airways will accept a fragile or perishable item without a limited liability release if it:

• Is packaged in the original factory-sealed container
  • Includes internal protective packing material
  • Is typically designed for shipping
Items that are not appropriately packaged, and are not assistive devices, will be accepted upon completion of a limited liability release.

In addition to the one carry-on item, you may bring free-of-charge items below:

• One small personal article such as a briefcase, purse, day planner, small laptop computer, camera case, compact disk player or similar sized personal entertainment item
  • Personal aid devices such as wheelchairs, braces, canes, crutches, prosthetic devices and walking sticks, provided passenger is dependent on them
  • One infant article such as a small collapsible stroller, a diaper bag or a government approved child seat (larger strollers can be checked in the jetway prior to boarding the aircraft)

@KathyV Thanks, I had already checked their website and read all that. My question is specifically about the maximum size bag that will fit under the seat.

@KathyV Thanks, I had already checked their website and read all that. My question is specifically about the maximum size bag that will fit under the seat.

I have never seen dimensions listed for twin otter service on CAY, but there is another airline called InterCaribbean that flies twin otters for short flights in the Caribbean and here are their dimensions:

InterCaribbean Cabin Baggage
Each fare paying passenger is entitled to carry on board (unless directed such be stowed in the aircraft hold) one piece not exceeding depth 9 inches, height 14 inches and length 16 inches and not exceeding a total weight of 10 pounds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom