Packing Kydex Back Plate- Flexibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divesergeant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Tobin,

I'm eying a carry-on I have and wonder if I can fit the back plate in. My back plate is about 1" wider than the pack I want to put it into, so it would be flexed a bit. Will a day of being flexed in the pack while I travel cause any harm to the kydex? I'm imagining not, but...never hurts to ask!

Cheers!

While I have no way of exactly replicating your circumstances I would have very few concerns.

Kydex is very tough, meaning it will absorb a lot of stress without failure. Widely used for the interiors of commercial aircraft, and of course gun and knife holsters.

If you managed to flex your plate, *and* expose it to temperatures above ~250-275F you could reform it to a new shape. Typical forming temps are quite a bit higher, but it does soften below the recommended "working" temps. Kydex is after a thermoplastic.

Packing it slightly flexed should not be a problem.

Enjoy your trip.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin! It looks like I might get to sneak down to Grand Cayman for a quick trip with my brother and a few other divers, and am trying to travel light and not have any checked baggage. This should help.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom