Packing, Travel and Diving Tips for the SB Invasion to the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding the Philippines airport restriction of no scuba equipment in carry on, it was unclear if this only meant regs or every piece of dive gear.

Are prescription masks, camera/housings, lenses, strobes, sola lights & dive computers still allowed in carry-on?

Taco, I would carry as much of your camera gear on as you can. It's not scuba equipment, it's just a nice protective case :)

Also your SOLA has lithium batteries. Best to take it in carry on, and also to set it up in travel mode, or at least, be 100% sure it's locked so it cannot turn on in flight.

For little things like dive computers, I have a travel vest, and all of our dive computers will fit in the pockets.

The way I look at it is, they don't want scuba in carry on because it's hefty and could be used as a weapon. But, any scuba gear aside from a prescription mask, is easily replaced or rented on site. Camera gear and expensive dive computers...I would be a little more than merely unhappy, to have lost in transit, or delayed...so as much as possible goes with my person, anything else goes in carry on, only backups for the backups, go in checked luggage. And if people ask, none of it is for scuba diving, it's for taking photos in the shower! :)

Carry‐On Luggage Restriction: Effective July 1, 2015

Philippines Office for Transportation Security has issued new rules that include ‘Scuba Diving Equipment’ (including regulators) on the list of blunt instruments that are not to be in carryon/cabin baggage on flights originating within the Philippines. Please ensure that all scuba equipment is secured within checked‐in baggage on all domestic flights and on all departing international flights.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Much may be subject to the interpretation of the agent you are dealing with at the moment.
If you want to risk carrying on your computers, that's up to you. It is their country & airline and your arguments could fall on deaf ears.
You should not have a problem with your general camera equipment i.e. camera, housing, strobes as long as you stay within the weight limit. I would put in checked luggage the metal arms, trays and such that they may con screwed as being used as a weapon. Any items with lithium batteries must be in your carry on or person and in individual cases for back up batteries. Make sure lights are in locked positions and terminals on strobes covered.
If you are still unsure, I recommended contacting the airline.

Later this evening, we will send out an additional PDF document we received showing what may & may not be hand carried. Here's also the link to the airline's page for additional info.
https://www.philippineairlines.com/TravelInformation/BeforeYouFly/BaggageInformation/RestrictedItems

My experience on the matter:
1. Computer(wrist) and mask are fine.
2. Computer(consul)? Disconnect it from the HP hose.
3. Canister light? The light head could be problematic. Most of the time I have no problem except on one occasion.
4. Blunt weapon: Probably means something resemble an "meteor hammer" eg. regulator with hose or light head with cord.
5. Airline would have no control on what can pass through the security check!!!!! You are at the mercy of the "monkey" who is doing the search or manning the X-ray machine.

Good luck.

Couple new questions regarding the hotel billing & direct transfers from domestic to international terminal:

(1) How are the transfers & hotel charges handled? On my last visit to Atlantis, the transfers between airport/hotel or domestic/international terminals were paid to Atlantis at the end of the dive week. My memory is that we paid the hotel directly for the room when checking out (used credit card). Is this accurate or will Atlantis collect the $ for the hotel room as well?

(2) How does the transfer between the domestic & international terminals work for the return trip from Dumaguete? My flight home is the same day, so no hotel is required. Since all of us are together on the Dumaguete flight, I would expect Atlantis to load up 2 buses...one to the hotel & 1 to the international terminal. They did both types of transfers on my last trip. Is that what will happen here too?

Couple new questions regarding the hotel billing & direct transfers from domestic to international terminal:

(1) How are the transfers & hotel charges handled? On my last visit to Atlantis, the transfers between airport/hotel or domestic/international terminals were paid to Atlantis at the end of the dive week. My memory is that we paid the hotel directly for the room when checking out (used credit card). Is this accurate or will Atlantis collect the $ for the hotel room as well?

(2) How does the transfer between the domestic & international terminals work for the return trip from Dumaguete? My flight home is the same day, so no hotel is required. Since all of us are together on the Dumaguete flight, I would expect Atlantis to load up 2 buses...one to the hotel & 1 to the international terminal. They did both types of transfers on my last trip. Is that what will happen here too?

I have forwarded these questions & I will post the reply from Atlantis as soon I get it.

Response from Atlantis
Hi Dennis

If guests are transferring direct to/from the resorts on our transfers (inc. booked flights with us) then they are ‘all inclusive’ and we include all the necessary terminal to terminal or land transfers

If guests have booked hotels and or are transiting elsewhere then our CSR team will advise on a case to case basis according to what they book – but yes these can be billed personally at the resort

If guests have specific questions regarding transfers and or charges then just drop me a line with their name and arrangements and I’ll have it checked

See you in a couple of weeks

I don't understand all this "transfer" chatter. Please clarify for me, if we're not staying at the Midas ... I understand that we are on our own to go to our own booked hotel and then meet at either the airport very early Saturday morning for that pick-up (whatever time it was I didn't pay attention as I'm not going to that one) or the Midas hotel at 8am for that pick-up (those transfers at our OWN cost). So basically take a taxi aka transfer from our privately booked hotel to the Midas for 8am on Saturday (leaving plenty of time for terrible traffic).

However the transfers from there onwards TO THE ATLANTIS are covered in our trip cost - correct?

I don't understand all this "transfer" chatter. Please clarify for me, if we're not staying at the Midas ... I understand that we are on our own to go to our own booked hotel and then meet at either the airport very early Saturday morning for that pick-up (whatever time it was I didn't pay attention as I'm not going to that one) or the Midas hotel at 8am for that pick-up (those transfers at our OWN cost). So basically take a taxi aka transfer from our privately booked hotel to the Midas for 8am on Saturday (leaving plenty of time for terrible traffic).

However the transfers from there onwards TO THE ATLANTIS are covered in our trip cost - correct?

CORRECT

With all due respect to the dive resort, if you aren't booked through them and need to go terminal to terminal, I would hesitate to pay anyone for that. There is a shuttle that travels on the tarmac from T1 to T3 and back, stopping also at T2. It's a small fee payable on board, less than 100 pesos last time I used it, and it is generally faster than going out and taking a taxi.

Of course it would be easy to just pay the resort though, so if your preference is ease, that can be done.

I was specifically told Grab Taxi works at NAIA, but I'm not sure that Uber does for pickups. But both are a bit easier than regular taxis nowadays when moving about the city.

Last edited:
Here is a new question: When I went to Zambia last year, I had to have a prescription for OTC Benadryl. It was considered to be a controlled substance. Is there any US OTC medication that is considered to be a controlled substance in the Philippines?

Here is a new question: When I went to Zambia last year, I had to have a prescription for OTC Benadryl. It was considered to be a controlled substance. Is there any US OTC medication that is considered to be a controlled substance in the Philippines?

Interesting question. I'll see if I can find an answer for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom