• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Packing, Travel, and Diving Tips for the SB SURGE to Little Cayman

Discussion in 'ScubaBoard Surge 2020 Little Cayman' started by ROXANNE, Nov 12, 2019.

1. flyboy08

flyboy08 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    That’s a heck of a list....

swimies
    CC
    C card
    Gear......airport.....splash!

markmud and ROXANNE like this.
  2. Darcimus

Darcimus Solo Diver

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    How is everyone staying under 55 lbs across two checked bags? I'm at 43 for gear and I don't feel comfortable leaving anything else behind. At this rate I'm going to be wearing six days of clothes on the plane because I won't be able to bring a suitcase. Glad I've got the rest of the week to figure this out. Might mail my clothes down there and mail them back.

ROXANNE and markmud like this.
  3. Dubi

Dubi Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    We are just paying the $.50/lb for more weight.

markmud likes this.
  4. Darcimus

Darcimus Solo Diver

I'll probably end up doing that, but there has to be a cut off. Twin Otters can only carry so much cargo, passengers and fuel before they go diving on the reef. When I was a kid we fit an entire pee wee hockey team along with coaches and our equipment on a twin otter.

jsisemore and markmud like this.
  5. markmud

markmud Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives. ScubaBoard Supporter

Hi Darcimus,

Cathy and I don't have a camera(s) and associated gear. I don't know how photo divers are going to make the weight cut-off.

You can carry a 15 lb carry-on, but I assume you have taken that into account.

ummhhaa, passport?

I am at about 38 for gear (no camera). I had to buy a super lightweight dive gear bag. I saved 5.5 lbs by ditching my old scuba bag. I hope the new one doesn't rip open.

Usually, not specific to this trip or carrier, the people who make weight get their bags left behind.

Good luck
    m

jsisemore likes this.
  6. ROXANNE

ROXANNE Artist

:wink:
    Here are some of the more important tips above...
    We have 55 T-Shirts to bring with us plus other party essentials. We'll just pay the extra if need be and wear the same clothes if everything doesn't get there. Pack your carry-on and personal item with care to plan if your luggage doesn't get there the 1st day.

markmud and KathyV like this.
  7. ROXANNE

ROXANNE Artist

Here's the 10-day weather forecast for Little Cayman. It looks like we will have some wind, so be prepared. Otherwise, it's looking pretty good!

jsisemore and markmud like this.
  8. Darcimus

Darcimus Solo Diver

I swapped out my gear bag for the duffel that my dry suit came in so that shaved off another six pounds. Packing my older yoke regs as those are lighter. I think I need a bigger carry on as my little backpack is bursting at the seams.

jsisemore, markmud and ROXANNE like this.
  9. Dubi

Dubi Barracuda

For me, wind = seasick on the boat! Scopolamine patches are packed!

markmud likes this.
  10. Darcimus

Darcimus Solo Diver

I called Cayman Airways yesterday and I must have got an inexperienced C/S rep. She said if my bags were over 55 lbs they'd keep whatever was over and send it on a later flight. Trouble is, because my Toronto flight arrival time got pushed back, I now have to get there on the last flight of the day. She also said anything I was over I would pay $1.00/lb for (even when I said the Cayman Airways flight quoted $0.50/lb) and my carryons would likely have to stay behind. She said a personal item is allowed, but it's smaller than my airline allows (website doesn't mention specific size but she said no wider than 14"...but their site mentions briefcase so I'm bringing mine.)

I'm envisioning taking all of my scuba gear out of my carryons, dumping them in my gear bag and having to wait for my carryon and suitcase to arrive the next day.

I'm hoping they'll let me do the same thing on a the way home so my suitcase and carryon can come home with me.