Packing, Travel, and Diving Tips for the SB SURGE to Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s a heck of a list....

swimies
CC
C card
Gear......airport.....splash!

How is everyone staying under 55 lbs across two checked bags? I'm at 43 for gear and I don't feel comfortable leaving anything else behind. At this rate I'm going to be wearing six days of clothes on the plane because I won't be able to bring a suitcase. Glad I've got the rest of the week to figure this out. Might mail my clothes down there and mail them back.

How is everyone staying under 55 lbs across two checked bags? I'm at 43 for gear and I don't feel comfortable leaving anything else behind. At this rate I'm going to be wearing six days of clothes on the plane because I won't be able to bring a suitcase. Glad I've got the rest of the week to figure this out. Might mail my clothes down there and mail them back.

We are just paying the $.50/lb for more weight.

I'll probably end up doing that, but there has to be a cut off. Twin Otters can only carry so much cargo, passengers and fuel before they go diving on the reef. When I was a kid we fit an entire pee wee hockey team along with coaches and our equipment on a twin otter.

How is everyone staying under 55 lbs across two checked bags?

Hi Darcimus,

Cathy and I don't have a camera(s) and associated gear. I don't know how photo divers are going to make the weight cut-off.

How is everyone staying under 55 lbs across two checked bags?

You can carry a 15 lb carry-on, but I assume you have taken that into account.

swimies
CC
C card
Gear......airport.....splash!

ummhhaa, passport?

I'm at 43 for gear...

I am at about 38 for gear (no camera). I had to buy a super lightweight dive gear bag. I saved 5.5 lbs by ditching my old scuba bag. I hope the new one doesn't rip open.

Twin Otters can only carry so much cargo, passengers and fuel before they go diving on the reef.

Usually, not specific to this trip or carrier, the people who make weight get their bags left behind.

Good luck
m

AIRLINE TIPS

Cayman Airways Baggage Policy
Please note, with the weight restrictions on the smaller planes, sometimes all the luggage does not make it to the island on the 1st day.

CARRY ON ANY ITEMS THAT YOU CAN’T AFFORD TO LOSE.

Please note, keep your essential item in your personal bag in case your carry on needs to be checked because of weight limitations.

Personal Bag -
IDs, Credit Cards, Cash, etc.
Prescription Medication
Glasses/Contacts
Jewelry/Watches

Carry on -
Prescription Mask/Regular Mask
Any Cameras/Electronics/Housings
Rechargeable batteries in individual cases or bags
Your Regulators (These can be placed in checked luggage to help with weight restrictions.)
Dive Computers
Dive lights (take batteries out or for rechargeable lights, put in locked mode.)
A bathing suit and a change of undergarments.

When we were on the Twin Otter last time, the carry-ons where stowed at the back of the plane and they also took my personal item (purse). Space is extremely limited, so do your best to travel lite or again a light jacket or vest with pockets can come in handy. :wink:
Extra baggage charges can be hit or miss. Sometimes they are really strict and other times, you can pass on through. Just be prepared that you may need to pay for extra lbs.

:wink:
Here are some of the more important tips above...
We have 55 T-Shirts to bring with us plus other party essentials. We'll just pay the extra if need be and wear the same clothes if everything doesn't get there. Pack your carry-on and personal item with care to plan if your luggage doesn't get there the 1st day.

Hi Darcimus,

I am at about 38 for gear (no camera). I had to buy a super lightweight dive gear bag. I saved 5.5 lbs by ditching my old scuba bag. I hope the new one doesn't rip open.
I swapped out my gear bag for the duffel that my dry suit came in so that shaved off another six pounds. Packing my older yoke regs as those are lighter. I think I need a bigger carry on as my little backpack is bursting at the seams.

Hi Roxanne,

Thanks for the information that you compiled above!

I went to the Cayman Airways website (as you linked) and found this regarding luggage on the Twin Otters:

When travelling to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman via the Twin Otter Service; Baggage allowance is 55 lbs per person (combined weight of up to 2 pieces) and only one 15 lb carry-on, any excess will be charged US$0.50 per pound.
Cayman Airways - Baggage Policy

I don't know if a personal bag (like a purse or small backpack) is allowed along with your one checked bag and one 15 pound carry-on. I have been told that your carry-on must fit under your seat.

I have emailed Cayman Airways to gain clarification. But no response so far. I will try again.

Thanks,
markm
I called Cayman Airways yesterday and I must have got an inexperienced C/S rep. She said if my bags were over 55 lbs they'd keep whatever was over and send it on a later flight. Trouble is, because my Toronto flight arrival time got pushed back, I now have to get there on the last flight of the day. She also said anything I was over I would pay $1.00/lb for (even when I said the Cayman Airways flight quoted $0.50/lb) and my carryons would likely have to stay behind. She said a personal item is allowed, but it's smaller than my airline allows (website doesn't mention specific size but she said no wider than 14"...but their site mentions briefcase so I'm bringing mine.)

I'm envisioning taking all of my scuba gear out of my carryons, dumping them in my gear bag and having to wait for my carryon and suitcase to arrive the next day.

I'm hoping they'll let me do the same thing on a the way home so my suitcase and carryon can come home with me.

Back
Top Bottom