Packing, Travel and Diving Tips for the SURGE to Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upload_2017-1-12_5-29-41.png

I have been waiting to post about the Cayman Airlines cancelling the Non-stop from Miami.
We found out about this about 3 hrs ago. Since then we have been working with the help of Bay Adventures to get ALL SURGE MEMBERS a way into Cayman Brac. At this time we believe all members have flights, but are waiting confirmation from 6 members.

I had hoped to wait and post after I was 100% sure but since it has now publicly been posted I wanted everyone to know where we stand.

I know that many will next turn to the smaller plane baggage issue.....In my opinion they should honor the baggage policy for the jet since it is their issue. However I do not run the airline, so you may want to ask the airlines directly.

I want to give HUGE kudos to Bay Adventures for helping make this as smooth as possible.

Last evening when I talked to an agent at Cayman Airways she said two bags @ 55 lbs each are still allowed on the jet from MIA to GCB. However, once we are on the smaller plane in GCB some luggage will most likely end up being sent over on later flights to Cayman Brac. I asked about the 40 lb. carry-on specification for the jet since the small plane only allows a 15 lb. carry-on. She wasn't clear very clear in her answer to that question. So as Dennis said, it might be prudent to call Cayman Airways before Saturday and see if they have updated answers.

Last evening when I talked to an agent at Cayman Airways she said two bags @ 55 lbs each are still allowed on the jet from MIA to GCB. However, once we are on the smaller plane in GCB some luggage will most likely end up being sent over on later flights to Cayman Brac. I asked about the 40 lb. carry-on specification for the jet since the small plane only allows a 15 lb. carry-on. She wasn't clear very clear in her answer to that question. So as Dennis said, it might be prudent to call Cayman Airways before Saturday and see if they have updated answers.

The REAL question is that - if we are bringing two "55-lb" bags, and a "40-lb" bag, what are our options to get the excess over?

We are allowed 55 lbs over two checked in bags. IF they allow us to take them, the excess luggage will be
($.50 / lb) x 55 lbs = $27.50, plus (40 lb - 15 lb) x $.50/lb = $12.50, for a total of $40.

*I* am currently showing two bookings on the return trip - one jet to Miami, and one prop-job through Grand Cayman. That means possibly another $40 on the way back. Plan accordingly.

My understanding is it's 2 checked bags per person with a total weight of 55 lbs. 2 checked bags of 55 lbs each is a LOT of stuff!

My understanding is it's 2 checked bags per person with a total weight of 55 lbs. 2 checked bags of 55 lbs each is a LOT of stuff!

Your understanding applies to the jet only, according to the screen shot from the Cayman Airlines website. We are now on the prop-planes, which has different rules. The Cayman Airlines representative had no information on whether or not the baggage fees would be waived.

Cameras

What camera are you taking? Point and shoot? Just your phone? SLR-digital?

Back
Top Bottom