PADI 5 star CDC away from US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I’ve done a few weeks of internet research and really can’t find anywhere to get recommendations for my advanced scuba training. I’ve got my AOW and want to do everything from rescue diver up to and including MSDT all at one place. I want to do an internship or live-in for four months or more and get everything done at a quality education center that cares.

I know that there are 5 star Dive Centers and 5 star IDCs or CDCs that have high ratings from PADI and obviously check off a lot of the right boxes for the people evaluating the operation.

I’m looking for recent folks who have gone the same route in training and recommendations / or not regarding your experience.

This is part of a life change for me and it’s part adventure part vacation. So I want to get it right.

I’ve looked at Utila Dive Center and while they have a great program on paper, the island itself leaves a lot to be desired if your not a 20 year old traveling with a backpack and a $20 a day budget. I’ve looked at a few shops in ( Kho Pangang & Samui, Phuket) Thailand as well. This is more up my alley. I’m also looking around Panama and Nicaragua but don’t see top tater CDCs. Is there somewhere on the PADI site that shows the different top rated CDCs by region ? I’ve looked but can’t find it.

I don’t have the luxury of being somewhere and going into the shops to get a feel for the people and instructors. I want to buy a package and go start my adventure. So I’ve gotta go on internet marketing and input from you people.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

I wouldn't put a huge amount of stock into the "5 star" rating. Here's what it means: What is the Difference between a PADI Dive Center and a PADI 5 Star Dive Center

It's not like a hotel rating where the stars are given by a company that rates quality.

Not that I'm suggesting you run from them because of the 5 star either, but know it for what it is. A sales gimmick that the dive shop paid for, basically.

I wouldn't put a huge amount of stock into the "5 star" rating. Here's what it means: What is the Difference between a PADI Dive Center and a PADI 5 Star Dive Center

It's not like a hotel rating where the stars are given by a company that rates quality.

Not that I'm suggesting you run from them because of the 5 star either, but know it for what it is. A sales gimmick that the dive shop paid for, basically.

Point taken. Does the same go for plan on rated course Directors ?

And the guys who run the Utila Dive Center do a great job with their web site, but that just means they’re good internet marketers.

I did my Rescue, DM, OWSI, and MSDT in Koh Tao, Thailand. I'm very happy I did. I started intending to only do my Rescue Course. Then went back for my DM only. Then stayed to do IDC and continued to do MSDT (mostly because I wanted Nitrox, Deep, and Wreck specialties for myself).

Thailand is further away, but may not end up costing more than places closer to home. I was able to get a RT ticket for $700 last year.

I'll send OP a PM with more details, but if others have specific questions feel free to post or PM me.

Point taken. Does the same go for plan on rated course Directors ?

And the guys who run the Utila Dive Center do a great job with their web site, but that just means they’re good internet marketers.
I don't know the answer to that, sorry. Most times I've seen folks recommend you talk to the individual instructor at a shop and try to get a feel for the person who will actually be training you. Of course a good salesman is a good salesman, and it can be hard to tell.

I did my Rescue, DM, OWSI, and MSDT in Koh Tao, Thailand. I'm very happy I did. I started intending to only do my Rescue Course. Then went back for my DM only. Then stayed to do IDC and continued to do MSDT (mostly because I wanted Nitrox, Deep, and Wreck specialties for myself).

Thailand is further away, but may not end up costing more than places closer to home. I was able to get a RT ticket for $700 last year.

I'll send OP a PM with more details, but if others have specific questions feel free to post or PM me.
Death island ? You survived ? Yes it’s cheaper there and I got a buddy in Bangkok. What’s the name of the dive center you were at. Thanks

Here's my point of view.

By all means take an Internship, to get DM, then dive as a DM and get some experience guiding, dealing with customers and being in the pool perfecting the skills.

Only then take IDC.

Once you've got through IDC actually instruct and work for MSDT.

MSDT required 5 instructor speciality certs - not difficult, 2 - 3 days intensive work. it also requires you certify 25 divers. This is where you actually learn to instruct. You'll often at first take a more experienced instructor to help you, because teaching a full course with real students is a far cry from going through the motions with IDC candidates acting as students

Of course you can pay and cheat. After all it's the instructor on the last dive who gets the cert, so you can go to a place, jump in on the last dive and get the, or worse be given the cert without actually instructing.

I have no time for MSDT card holders who haven't' actually taught the 25 courses. Sure you might just do the OW dives and not the pool dives, or you may teach the CW dives and not teach the OW dives thus not get the cert.

Frankly and Instruct who collects the MSDT cert without actually teaching is both a fraud and not someone I'd trust to teach.

If you're prepared to put the time in to do it properly and gain the experience at each stage, then you'll be a good instructor.

Unfortunately there are too many people who want to buy their card (and centres willing to take their money) who wish to portray themselves as instructors without having the ability or experience

/rant

By all means take an Internship, to get DM, then dive as a DM and get some experience guiding, dealing with customers and being in the pool perfecting the skills.

Only then take IDC.

Very good advice.

Once you've got through IDC actually instruct and work for MSDT.

More good advice.

it also requires you certify 25 divers. This is where you actually learn to instruct. You'll often at first take a more experienced instructor to help you, because teaching a full course with real students is a far cry from going through the motions with IDC candidates acting as students

@Diving Dubai is on a roll!

I have no time for MSDT card holders who haven't' actually taught the 25 courses. Sure you might just do the OW dives and not the pool dives, or you may teach the CW dives and not teach the OW dives thus not get the cert.

Frankly and Instruct who collects the MSDT cert without actually teaching is both a fraud and not someone I'd trust to teach.

@Diving Dubai is almost describing me.

I team taught all my certs from start to finish. That said, I would have preferred to have taught a few courses on my own, especially the specialties. I have lots of non-diving teaching experience, which helps. I also led most of the OW dives the students I certified did for those certifications. I feel comfortable teaching a group of 2-3 students, but would not teach a group of 8 nor would I solo teach any of the specialties without more experience. I never intend to make a living as an instructor. I would like to have gained more experience where I was training given the choice, but I was on a clock and ran out of money.

I know my limitations as a diver and as a professional. I think the most important lesson I ever learned is when to call a dive. Most divers aren't willing to do that until much later than it should have been done. As a pro, I'm not afraid to say no to teaching/leading/assisting outside my comfort zone. In such situations, either everyone gets lucky or something bad will happen.

Over the years I've never heard bad things about Phuket. I've got a buddy that went to Utila to finish his Hypoxic IT. He has gone back several times to visit and dive. 300' in a rash guard and shorts is nice!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom