PADI AI and OWSI Courses in English Mar Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mar Scuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We are planning to conduct the PADI Assistant Instructor and Open Water Scuba Instructor Courses in English this fall.

Timing for the courses will be in time to attend the Instructor Examination (IE) in Okinawa scheduled for November 8/9, 2008 weekend or in Guam on November 12/13 or Saipan on November 15/16.

Interested candidates, please send me a PM or e-mail.

Thanks,

Hi, Andy, the OWSI Candidates were thinking about going to Okinawa, but unfortunately, that one got cancelled.

If it were in Guam, you would be among the first to know!

Probably will be Okinawa or Thailand in March.

Thanks,

The AI course and the OWSI courses were both great! We also did the Emergency First Responder Instructor course soon after that. I am hoping that we can take the IE soon...

Hello all

I have been living in Japan for the last 14 years. I have been a diver since 1987. I was completely happy to be an AOW diver and never considered furthering my diver education. I never thought that in Japan there were diving schools or services for people whose first language is English. During my time here I would go diving outside Japan every time I had a vacation or a business trip. I always thought of Japan at a place where people work all the time. I never thought that there would be any good dives around here.

One day I was searching around on the net and I stummbled across an "English speaking diving group" website. I was really happy about that! I thought, ok I will go for my Rescue Diver course. After that I once again I thought this is enough. But later I started to think what about going for my Divemaster and other Pro certifications. The group that had instructed me on my Rescue course were more of a NAUI organization, whereas I was more interested in going forward as a PADI diver. This in no way means that one organization is better than the other, it was just my preference.

Now I had to find a place that would be able to train me and help me to achieve my diving goals. After about 2 weeks I found Mar Scuba. I contacted them and talked to the owner, Matt, and agreed to take the DM course from him. He seemed very friendly and seemed like he would be some one that I could really get along with. That was really important to me and helped me to make my decision.

After I finished my DM course I wanted to take the next logical step towards my Instructor qualification. At that time Mar Scuba was not offering the course. I told Matt that I wanted to keep training and further my diver education. At that point Matt was on a mission! He worked very hard to contact a Japanese PADI Course Director who could also speak English. Matt worked out a way that Mar Scuba could offer an AI and OWSI course in English in Japan! It had never been done before!

During the AI course we all gathered together at one of the other Mar Scuba members apartment for the class work. Matt had arrived earlier and set up a projector and screen for us to use for presentations. He also brought snack and sodas for everyone.
As the course progressed Matt took the time to explain everything to us and made sure that no corners were cut. By the end of the course we all felt confident and ready for the pool and OW sessions and presentations.
The following weekend we went to the pool location and spent the day going over our pool presentations and demonstrations.
During the course Matt would tell some of the other members that were playing the role of students to pretend that they were having a problem. This let the AI candidate learn to correctly evaluate the students areas for improvement. It was very helpful to me as a candidate.
After the pool sessions, Matt did an evaluation of our performance. He told us what we did well and what we needed to do to improve our scores.
The next day we went out to the ocean to do our OW presentations and skills. Each of us went through our teaching briefing and then we swam out and did our underwater sessions. After that we all went to a Japanese style resturant. During our time there we took our final exams. Every one passed the course!

At the end of October, we all started our OWSI course. This course was very intense. We fine tuned the skills that we learned the AI course. During this course the PADI Course Director was looking at our performance and giving us tips. Matt was teaching the course's book work portion while the Course Director was watching. The Course Director would also teach us certain parts of the book work part.

After we finished the book portion we again arranged for all of us to go to the pool and the ocean for the confined water and open water sections of the course. Unfortunately I got really ill with a foot infection and I could not attend the confined water and open water portions with the rest of my classmates. Everyone passed their confined water and open water portions with flying colors. I still needed to complete those parts. At this time, Matt once again helped me out by helping to re-arrange my last tasks. Finally at the end of November I was able to complete my OWSI course and pass everything. Now I am hoping to take my IE in March in Okinawa.

Mar Scuba did such an excellent job on preparing these courses and doing all the logistics. The Mar Scuba crew is commited to making sure that you get the best diver education AND customer care in English. The courses that I have taken with Mar Scuba have been hard but they stick by you and make you feel comfortable and help you to achieve your goals.

Regards
JD

Nice write-up Jedi. Matt is a great PADI instructor and highly recommended. However, I know many PADI AI and OWSI courses that have been conducted in English here. We have certified 8 AIs, and three continued through Kubo-san at Halcyon Japan for their OWSI. I think Kenneth S (PADI Course Director) also conducted several IDCs here last year, and there must be someone down in Okinawa. Jim and Dough are doing the same with NAUI. Surprisingly many non-japanese become instructors while living here which is great. There are even French, German, Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish (me) language options.

Hi TJO,
Wow I didn't know that. When I was searching for places that could take me to the Pro levels, I couldn't find any! I looked all over the net. Maybe that is a good example of how everyone could improve their groups marketing/advertising.

I am glad to hear that there are other fellow foreigners taking the 'Go Pro Challenge'. That is fantastic! I hope that I will get to dive with them someday. For me, that is one of the benefits of diving. I have made a lot of good friends here in Japan by meeting them during diving training or tours.

I just had a look at your website. It looks really good. I am sure I will be taking some courses from your company too in the future. I am interested in the GUE fundamental 1 course.

onegaishimasu!

Yes, it is great that so many go pro and that classes are available in several languages in Japan. There are also Spanish/Portuguese speaking instructors here. Most material in the common languages can actually be ordered through PADI Japan. Obviously they don't keep a stock of most except for some key material in English.

The problem with many becoming instructors is that they stop diving though... and only do teaching/guiding dives which really don't make them better divers. You are of course welcome to join one of my Fundamental classes. Let's describe it as very different from anything else out there ;-)

Back
Top Bottom