Padi AOW by default?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have read through this thread and am confused. .....
...... Very frustrating situation. :(

Yep, that all seems about what I got out of this thread that I started! I was just curious about what possibilities there were to use the existing specialties already accomplished, but now that I know there are none it annoys me. All of our records are on a system in Padi's possession; it is easy enough for them to verify we have completed specialties so we don't have to duplicate dives just to get a piece of plastic.

FYI, I did email Padi and ask them the same question a day or so after I started the thread. They main email replied that they were forwarding it to another department to answer, and then I never heard from them again. So they lost a few customer service points with me there!

Basically, your choices are 1. Find the time and money to do the whole AOW course from scratch or 2. Find a friendly instructor willing to sign off of the parts already accomplished in the previous specialties 3. SDI may be quicker to get through since they can use the specialties from Padi that she already completed to jumpstart the process

Basically, your choices are 1. Find the time and money to do the whole AOW course from scratch or 2. Find a friendly instructor willing to sign off of the parts already accomplished in the previous specialties 3. SDI may be quicker to get through since they can use the specialties from Padi that she already completed to jumpstart the process

Thanks - that confirms the same conclusion I've reached. Like I said, she isn't opposed to training, but spending a weekend with a class full of AOW students doesn't really sound like fun. I might try to setup a private class with a like-minded instructor. If we can include some DPVs, things could get fun.

Y'all are making this too difficult.
There is no "AOW Class" just an AOW Certification.
Any PADI instructor who knows what they are doing can do your fifth specialty, and sign off the AOW certification. In fact, it only needs to be the first dive of Deep, and then the AOW card. Just show your other cards as proof you have four other Adventure Dives (i.e., the first dive of each specialty). There is no "class," and no "exam." Do the one Deep dive, get AOW, then do the other 3 Deep dives, and get the Deep specialty. Go do Rescue (and 50 dives) and get MSD.
Charges? Work it out, PADI doesn't care. Negotiate with the instructor/shop.

Close enough to San Jose. :) Monterey/Carmel area for diving.

The only question I have is what is the assumed liability by the instructor for not being the certifying instructor for the other courses. Maybe that is FUD, but with the legal system we have. The fact that her 500+ dives are spread over 40 years is cause for concern, as I haven't seen her in the water. That's less than 15 per year. Before I met my girlfriend, that was a month of diving for me.

If she came to me, I'd say let's go for a fun dive and see where she is at. If she looked good, I'd try to work something out (but I'm far), and I'd verify her existing certification.. As with all dives, I'd require good trim, buoyancy control, and finning, as that is part of executing any skills "fluidly, comfortably, and repeatedly".

I'm guessing she's spoken with Breakwater Scuba.

Y'all are making this too difficult.
If it were up to the students who already have the specialties (me, sea_otter), we'd love to make it easy. But if you read the whole thread then you will see how many instructors don't agree.
I agree it's weird that it is so difficult but unless Padi finally decides to email me back with something to work with or present as "proof of dives" then I am at the mercy of whatever a dive instructor on vacation agrees to. In my mind, the specialty plastic IS a proof of my sucessful specialty dives (more than enough for Adventure qualification) but as you can read from previous replies, lots of people do not agree.

The fact that her 500+ dives are spread over 40 years is cause for concern, as I haven't seen her in the water.

I'm guessing she's spoken with Breakwater Scuba.

She's been on and off for sure, and there have been two open water certification classes in that time. She has done about 50-100 dives in the past year as well as some recent GUE training. 500 was a conservative estimate, I really have no idea on her total dive count.

We have not spoken with Breakwater scuba, but we've spoken to a few other local shops. The real issue was that the boat we were planning is next Saturday, so that's a no go. I've made other plans for the weekend, and we'll figure something out now that we have a bit more time. :)

Thanks again for the advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom