PADI AOW Started; Now What?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome, btw... we've been thinking of a dive to Thailand late next year, could you message me some info on a good dive shop and hotel/resort or liveaboard?

SDI has you do 5 different courses to get AOW.... seems like a hugh difference in what each agency requires.

The biggest problem seems to be in what each Agency calls their courses. As has been pointed out earlier in this thread PADI AOW and SDI Adventure Diver are pretty much identical. SDIs Advanced Diver most closely compares to PADIs Master Diver. The course contents seem fairly consistent across many, but not all, of the certification agencies. Do your research and find out which course(s) from which agency will get you where you want to go.

As far as the origanal post. I took PADIs AOW course. The dives were Deep, Wreck, Nav, S&R, and Under Water Naturalist. I got a lot out of all of them, especially Under Water Naturalist. As I had waited to take the AOW course until I had completed something like 25 dives I was able to integrate the new knowledge into what I had been doing. Really helped.

AOW seems a little silly to me. I just got mine, and I'm glad I did, but it basically just means go dive and get some different dive experiences.

My instructor basically said AOW is just getting you out there blowing bubbles. I know it generates cash for PADI, and I don't really mind that. Whatever supports the sport.

I got my AOW because it's a step towards Rescue Diver which I consistently hear is a very rewarding course.

J

Awesome, btw... we've been thinking of a dive to Thailand late next year, could you message me some info on a good dive shop and hotel/resort or liveaboard?
Ben, I'd be glad to work with you. Just click on my signature below to go to my website and from there you can contact me directly with dates, desires, and destinations. Also, check your PM box here at SB for a follow-up to this post. Making Thailand plans can get a little overwhelming since there are so many options, but having somebody on the ground locally helps, and you've got me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom