PADI AOW w/ Nitrox specialty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI Training Bulletin – Fourth Quarter 2016:
View attachment 411028
Yes, quite true, and quite irrelevant. We are discussing linking EANx with AOW, not with OW. That same page of the same Training Bulletin says:
Advanced Open Water Diver – Specific to the Advanced Open Water Diver course, you can teach Enriched Air Diver concurrently as mentioned, and allow divers to use enriched air on their Adventure Dives after having completed the Enriched Air Diver course requirements. If the diver would like to earn credit for the Enriched Air Adventure Dive, the diver must complete a dedicated Enriched Air Adventure Dive that is not combined with another Adventure Dive.

Yes, quite true, and quite irrelevant. We are discussing linking EANx with AOW, not with OW. That same page of the same Training Bulletin says:
Advanced Open Water Diver – Specific to the Advanced Open Water Diver course, you can teach Enriched Air Diver concurrently as mentioned, and allow divers to use enriched air on their Adventure Dives after having completed the Enriched Air Diver course requirements. If the diver would like to earn credit for the Enriched Air Adventure Dive, the diver must complete a dedicated Enriched Air Adventure Dive that is not combined with another Adventure Dive.
I'm not actually discussing it in that context - I took the Enriched Air Diver as a separate Specialty course well after my OW cert. I did not take it as part of OW or AOW.

I'm not actually discussing it in that context - I took the Enriched Air Diver as a separate Specialty course well after my OW cert. I did not take it as part of OW or AOW.
The thread is about EANx as part of AOW, and all my answers have been in that context. Sorry if your being off-topic confused you.

The thread is about EANx as part of AOW, and all my answers have been in that context. Sorry if your being off-topic confused you.
Actually, you apparenty knew I was talking about a standalone, full Nitrox certification as you were insisting it required 2 actual dives (it used to).

So, I think my point still stands - you do not need to do any actual dives to get a PADI Nitrox Certification and you do not get a Nitrox certification card by doing a Nitrox adventure dive as part of AOW. Therefore, why "waste" any AOW adventure dives on Nitrox?

You are putting words in my mouth.....I never said it required 2 actual dives, I said it required two dives, either actual or simulated.

I have no argument with either of your statements: you do not need to do any actual dives to get a PADI Nitrox Certification, and you do not get a Nitrox certification card by doing a Nitrox adventure dive as part of AOW. But what you are missing is that after you've done the Nitrox Adventure dive -- all by itself per post #21 -- you can do the second actual Nitrox dive concurrently with one of the other Adventure dives in the AOW, and then you get the certification. The end result is you get fewer AOW dives during which you learn something. so I think it is kind of a shady deal by the OP's LDS, unless they've bundled it to save him a lot of money.

What do they use for the other two non-core specialties? What do they do with that fifth dive in the water? Maybe they focus on stuff that an extra less useful(?) water specialty dive would not leave time for. Such as extra peak buoyancy practice?

Unless they do something special with that fifth dive, it seems odd to do Nitrox as an AOW, as it takes no dives (Edit: setting aside the virtual ones). Why not as a class before advanced that they require for advanced? Unless that pre-screening somehow violates Padi standards.

If they have their five dives organized one way, it might be hard to organize them differently for just you.

What is their Nitrox fill situation like? Maybe they want everyone on it, for cost or benefit.

Last edited:
You are putting words in my mouth.....I never said it required 2 actual dives, I said it required two dives, either actual or simulated.

I have no argument with either of your statements: you do not need to do any actual dives to get a PADI Nitrox Certification, and you do not get a Nitrox certification card by doing a Nitrox adventure dive as part of AOW. But what you are missing is that after you've done the Nitrox Adventure dive -- all by itself per post #21 -- you can do the second actual Nitrox dive concurrently with one of the other Adventure dives in the AOW, and then you get the certification. The end result is you get fewer AOW dives during which you learn something. so I think it is kind of a shady deal by the OP's LDS, unless they've bundled it to save him a lot of money.
I still don't get it? Are you saying that you don't have to pay for the Enriched Air Course if you do it concurrently with AOW? Since no dives are actually required, I'm not getting the benefit unless the Nitrox cert is free if done as part of AOW?

Quite irrelevant? My apologies, I quoted just the first part of the bulletin. If you read the part above what you quoted, you'll see the following:
2016Q4a.jpg

I still don't get it? Are you saying that you don't have to pay for the Enriched Air Course if you do it concurrently with AOW? Since no dives are actually required, I'm not getting the benefit unless the Nitrox cert is free if done as part of AOW?
The OP's original statement (post #1) was that EANx was part of his AOW class, and he -- like you -- did not understand how that gave him a Nitrox cert. It doesn't, is the answer. But if he does one Nitrox dive as an adventure dive, and another concurrently with another adventure dive, (and does five Adventure dives all together, including Deep and Nav) and does the EANx bookwork and practical and tests, then he gets AOW cert and an EANx cert. Apparently at no extra cost. So it is a good deal financially, but he loses out on doing five "real" adventure dives....he just does 4 plus EANx. The alternative is to do the AOW with five real adventure dives, and do the no-dive AOW separately, and spend more money. At least, that is the most I can make of his incomplete information.

Back
Top Bottom