PADI C Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya those are the cards they send you now. Sometimes if you go to your LDS, we can replace them for cheaper than through the online store. But you are right, asinine amount of money for the cheap plastic cards, even at their cost to a LDS. probably costs them all of 50 cents for the plastic, print, envelope, and stamp.

Here's a novel idea for all you folks that are complaining about the cost of replacing a lost C-card: don't lose the card in the first place! What about replacing one of the newer automobile keys; do you think the dealer and the car maker ought to give you a new one at their cost?

Here's a novel idea for all you folks that are complaining about the cost of replacing a lost C-card: don't lose the card in the first place! What about replacing one of the newer automobile keys; do you think the dealer and the car maker ought to give you a new one at their cost?
True, lost gear is your responsibility, but I can tell you that I've replaced many cards that have just become illegible and so worn out that you cant identify the diver/diver number. You could argue that it should be kept in a vacuum sealed case on a shelf, but we're divers. if I am going somewhere that I'll need my card, it goes in a pocket in my dive bag. Not always dry compartment, it's exposed to salt water and whatever else.

Im not anti PADI or and SDI fanboy. But when my shop was approached about crossover from PADI to SDI, something that was interesting was that SDI would sell you an industrial cert card printing machine, the same one that they use, with all the imaging for about $2000. My shop didnt do enough certs per year to justify the cost but it just goes to show what the expense is in producing a cert card. At the $40 PADI charges for a replacement card, you would sell 100 replacement cards at $4000. I dont know how many cards PADI replaces per year, or how much ink they go through, but it seems like thats a pretty profitable department.

Again, not knocking them at all. Its supply and demand. if you dont want to spend $40, dont lose/damage your card. Or you start your own billion dollar internationally recognized dive training agency haha

True, lost gear is your responsibility, but I can tell you that I've replaced many cards that have just become illegible and so worn out that you cant identify the diver/diver number. You could argue that it should be kept in a vacuum sealed case on a shelf, but we're divers. if I am going somewhere that I'll need my card, it goes in a pocket in my dive bag. Not always dry compartment, it's exposed to salt water and whatever else.

Oh come now. I've been using the same PADI card for 13 years now. I don't treat it gently. Besides a few scuffs, it's as good as new.

Oh come now. I've been using the same PADI card for 13 years now. I don't treat in gently. Besides a few scuffs, it's as good as new.
haha I feel you, I have also had people bring in just for show, their original obscure agency cert cards that are over 30 years old. They were entirely handwritten on plain paper, with a cut out photo pasted in, then laminated with packing tape. Looked pristine. Its all about how you treat it i guess. Of my cert cards, i usually carry just my nitrox card with me unless im doing a dive that requires more advanced certs. As such, my nitrox card, about 6 years old, has a lot more wear and tear than my other cards that are older. Still works though, all the info and my picture are clearly legible.
I also have pictures of my certs in my phone. So i plan to never replace a card again. When it goes it goes. Lost, damaged, or otherwise.

haha I feel you, I have also had people bring in just for show, their original obscure agency cert cards that are over 30 years old. They were entirely handwritten on plain paper, with a cut out photo pasted in, then laminated with packing tape. Looked pristine. Its all about how you treat it i guess. Of my cert cards, i usually carry just my nitrox card with me unless im doing a dive that requires more advanced certs. As such, my nitrox card, about 6 years old, has a lot more wear and tear than my other cards that are older. Still works though, all the info and my picture are clearly legible.
I also have pictures of my certs in my phone. So i plan to never replace a card again. When it goes it goes. Lost, damaged, or otherwise.
I also have my original 1970 cert from LA County Underwater Unit (nearly 48 years old). Of course I do not actively use it, but did for more than a decade. It's nearly as good as new.

upload_2018-3-14_17-42-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-14_17-37-56.png
    upload_2018-3-14_17-37-56.png
    97 KB · Views: 116
I also have my original 1970 cert from LA County Underwater Unit (nearly 48 years old). Of course I do not actively use it, but did for more than a decade. It's nearly as good as new.

View attachment 450343
My original card isn't worth much, but it is a great souvenir.
Northwestern Scuba Card_redacted.jpg

Back
Top Bottom