PADI Deep Diver specialty course worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just figured you always dived that way :wink:
Well, I do always have fun. :eyebrow:

I hear what you are saying, but, on the other hand, I have found some excellent information on Scubaboard.
The signal to noise ratio on ScubaBoard is about the best I have seen on any forum. When myths and otherwise bad info is dealt out, ScubaBoardians are pretty darn quick to point that out. Any reasonable person can discern the silver from the dross here and most of the resistance seems to come from self proclaimed experts that are not happy that such information is so readily available. In the not too distant past local dive shops controlled the knowledge and profited from that. Today, the paradigm has changed significantly to benefit the consumer in regards to knowledge acquisition. The smart dive professional has adjusted to this shift and has actually used it to make his classes even better. Some talk about the instructor who has gone the "extra mile" and frankly: we don't see that as an "extra" but as essential for us to continue and thrive. Teaching to the minimum is no longer tolerable for most of us and we expect more from ourselves and our students. This is great for everyone except those stuck in yesteryear.

We just figured you always dived that way, so we acted natural :wink:

I hear what you are saying, but, on the other hand, I have found some excellent information on Scubaboard. I would actually say it has improved my diving more than any other single source (granted, if I had a local diving community/mentor/great instructor then things might be weighted differently).

I have seen information here that I disagree with or think is wrong, but then I could say the same thing about many things, including the dive instruction I've had. It's always good to consider sources and read multiple viewpoints, in my opinion.

Blue Sparkle...and so is life. If we were always in agreement, it would sure be a very boring life with no improvement, advancement, etc. In retrospect, I can honestly say that I have nothing negative to say about the dive instruction that I have had. I am glad I got the very rigorous OW NAUI course I had in 78 that so many folks nowadays seem to be in disagreement with. And then I was very lucky to meet awesome and very demanding instructors along the way who all strode to teach beyond the minimum standards and thus allowing me access to additional litterature and knowledge to further progress.

Yes there is the occasional noise on the forum but if one looks beyond that there is a wealth of information as well. I think it is important to be exposed to more than one point of view because you can use that to challenge your instructor wrt to some of his ism or preferences.

I agree, Scubaboard is a great resource. You do have to be careful at taking the first thing you read as 100% true, but if you wait a bit someone usually comes along and tells you how that post was wrong...repeat cycle... :) Overtime, you can learn a lot on this site and get connected with those who can teach you even more!

Not sure which 'standard' you are refering to, in regards to the Deep Diver course??

PADI Speciality Instructor Manual: Deep Diver Course Instructor Outline:

Knowledge Development.
Academic information may be obtained through independent student study using the Deep Diver Manual and Deep Diving video or through classroom sessions. Information may also be given on boats or on shore.

Originally Posted by NCadiver
Scubaboard has a lot of incorrect information on it so buyer beware.

(See above). :wink:

DevonDiver you are correct the knowledge reviews can be done on the boat but really can you go over the information with the boat engine going and the other divers talking and setting up there gear and also try to finish up before the dive briefing. You could do it on a liveaboard but a day boat would be hard.

It depends on the boat and the location, I guess. That's why PADI haven't made it a 'standard'... it gives the flexibility to those who can.

Depends on your instructor. In general, I would say 130 feet with air is dangerous. There is a real chance of narc. I used to think I can use air and go even deeper. There is a site I dive often at max depth of 120 depth. I dove there many times and thought I know it inside out. I dove the same site after getting trimix cert, things were certainly different than I remember. I am still alive, but I do know the effect of narc. I won't dive that deep with air anymore.

Depends on your instructor. In general, I would say 130 feet with air is dangerous. There is a real chance of narc.

On a training dive, within recreational limits, I think that experiencing narc is one of the learning objectives. The trouble is, most students expect narcosis to be some sort of obviously debilitating 'drunkenness'. When that doesn't happen, they think they aren't narc'd.

I've often thought about the relative benefits of taking down a stage of trimix... and then letting students breath some much lower END gas during a deep dive. When their heads clear because of the helium, then they'd have a great demonstration of how narc was affecting them.

Not sure PADI would ever allow this though.... :(

Lorenzoid...I did ask myself the very same question...is the deep specialty worth pursuing? At the end of the day, I elected to not do it (even though I did my rescue and DM) and did instead Advanced Nitrox and Deco procedures. MY reasoning was as follow...with the latter, I can go down to 150 ft, plan my dive to make it worthwhile, ie be able to spend some time at that depth vs the NDL I would at 130 diving air (10 mins or so including descend time) or on EAN 28 for a couple mins more. I figure if there was something worth seeing at those depth I may as well enjoy it a bit instead of only going down for a very quick bounce.

Not to hijack the thread, but your MOD with an FO2 of .28 should be somewhere around 130-135, not 150.

Lucky you didn't do the funky chicken down there?

On a training dive, within recreational limits, I think that experiencing narc is one of the learning objectives. The trouble is, most students expect narcosis to be some sort of obviously debilitating 'drunkenness'. When that doesn't happen, they think they aren't narc'd.

I've often thought about the relative benefits of taking down a stage of trimix... and then letting students breath some much lower END gas during a deep dive. When their heads clear because of the helium, then they'd have a great demonstration of how narc was affecting them.

That is why I said depends on the instructor. Experiencing a slight narc under close supervision is fine. The key is the one who is supervising need 1) not to be narc, so that 2)aware of student's state at all time. The only way the instructor(s)/DM(s) stay clear of narc is if they are on trimix. And to be safe, you really need 1:1 student/supervisor ratio here. I have seen way too many PADI instructors doing this kind of deep dive in a unsafe way, at least to my standard.

I've heard it's even more noticible if you go down breathing trimix and then switch to a nitrox mix at depth.

Back
Top Bottom