PADI Divemaster Exam Study Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe-Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Since this topic comes up quite a bit, I thought I'd post a quick snippet of what to study for each of the 8 exams:

Study Materials

PADI Divemaster Manual
Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
Diving Knowledge Workbook
PADI Rescue Diver Manual
PADI Open Water Diver Manual
PADI Adventures in Diving Manual
PADI Instructor Manual
The Business of Diving
The Law and the Diving Professional
Children and Diving

Study Strategy

Read the sections in the manuals and Encyclopedia to get an overview of what will be covered. Do this for each exam you're focusing on, rather than trying to do it all at once. Some Instructors will let you take each exam separately rather than doing all 8 at once, so ask if you can do this. Don't be too obsessed with picking up everything just yet. Now go back and complete the Diving Knowledge Workbook, re-reading and studying the Resources for the Objective. Score yourself fairly. If you missed it, go back and study the Resource for the Objective and try again until you understand. You can always ask your Instructor for a class session on the topic!

Physics Exam

This is the one that most people sweat about and for most it is the hardest test. Read chapter 4 in the Encyclopedia and then complete section 1 in the Workbook. Understand the gas laws and know how to use the formulas. When you have a question that starts at one depth and asks you to solve for another depth, always take it to the surface, then back down. Make notes for yourself, defining the gas laws and formulas in the simplest terms you understand so you can quickly review your notes right before the exam.

Physiology Exam

Read chapter 5 in the Encyclopedia, up to Decompression Models. Read chapter 4 of the Rescue Diver Manual. Complete section 2 in the Workbook.

Equipment Exam

Read chapter 1 and chapter 3 in the Encyclopedia. Read chapter 2 in the Rescue Diver Manual. Complete section 3 in the Workbook. There are a couple of references to the Open Water Diver Manual, Adventures in Diving and the Deep Diver manual, so skim those as directed in the Workbook.

Decompression Theory and the RDP Exam

Read chapter 5 in the Encyclopedia, starting from Decompression Models. Read chapter 5 in the Divemaster Manual. Review both of the booklets: RDP, eRDPml and master the use of both. Complete section 5 in the Workbook.

Dive Skills and Environment Exam

Use section 4 of the Workbook to guide you through this one. You'll be reviewing parts of the Open Water Diver Manual, Adventures in Diving Manual, Rescue Diver Manual, and the Encyclopedia. This is a good time to read chapter 2 in the Encyclopedia.

Divemaster Conducted Programs Exam

Read chapter 6 in the Divemaster Manual. Look over the associated sections in the Instructor Manual. Learn how to look things up in the Instructor Manual and become familiar with it. USE the Instructor Manual during the exam!! You are allowed to do this.

Supervising Certified Divers Exam

Read chapter 2 in the Divemaster Manual. Watch the Divemaster video for this.

Supervising Students Exam

Read chapter 3 in the Divemaster Manual. Watch the Divemaster video for this.

I used this basic strategy to study and prepare for each of the exams, and had no problems with them. Although not part of the exams, it's good idea to also study:

Risk Management

Read chapter 7 in the Divemaster Manual. Read Children and Diving. Read The Law and the Diving Professional. Understand your role in Risk Management and mitigation of risk.

Diving Business

Read chapters 8 & 9 in the Divemaster Manual. Read The Business of Diving. It's a bit dated but still has some useful info in it. I'd like to see an update that addresses the Internet, because like it or not, agree with it or not, it's here and part of the equation now.

Watch the Divemaster video, study the above material and above all, have fun!! Divemaster is where you "learn it all" so put forth an effort and you will be greatly rewarded. Please, anyone feel free to add to this with their own tips and tricks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the Diving Business info. about the need to address the internet. Nice post. I agree but it was not so difficult to pass the test once the chapters were read and the Diving Knowledge Workbook was completed. Preparation was the best thing to do.

Don't forget the Standards exam...I hated the Standards exam...

Just a couple of baht's worth:

For the theory, I would recommend following the diving knowledge workbook and completing it in the small sections laid out in the book. It will say "read this section then answer the following questions" - for example in Physics, you concentrate on archimedes' prinicple; get that right then move on to Boyle's law, rather than reading the whole chapter then trying to go through the workbook.

If you're not so hot on some of the theory then breaking it down into easily managed chunks will help.

Good advice from the post though!

Joe-Diver,

Thanks for the information! I'll be taking the exams on the 22nd. :)

SharkDZ - Good luck! Study hard and you'll do well. The exams really aren't that hard, especially if you know the material.

C - Your study advice is sound and is what I also recommend in the Study Strategy. An initial read to get familiar, then focusing on the specifics, guided by the Workbook to reinforce the important points.

Study, Study, relax, complete the workbook, study, review the workbook questions, and remember to breath.

Joe-Diver:
Standards I believe is part of the DM Conducted Programs exam

You are absolutely correct...Thanks for the correction...Was thinking in terms of the IE:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom