PADI Divemaster Exam Study Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Instructor Manual is a wise investment for the professional diver. You do get the outlines on CD for the courses you can teach, but having your own copy of the IM is nice because you'll have the General Standards and Procedures section available to you. It is not included on the DM CD...you will find answers there to test questions! (hint)

The IM does have outlines for lectures you can use to study, but I found this a bit lacking. This is only my personal opinion though. I preferred a much richer study program to build my knowledge base, rather than the bare minimum I need to pass. BUT, the lecture outlines are a great point of focus to go over, so good suggestion AzAtty!

Some Instructors will let you take each exam separately rather than doing all 8 at once, so ask if you can do this.

Is this Ok'd by PADI? My instructor is not aware of this method.
Thanks

Some Instructors will let you take each exam separately rather than doing all 8 at once, so ask if you can do this.

Is this Ok'd by PADI? My instructor is not aware of this method.
Thanks

Usually I'll teach one subject a week with the coresponding test given that night.

The PADI Instructor Manual does not specify one way or the other. It is actually very liberal in the sequencing of the program and leaves it up to the individual Instructor. There are few required sequences and plenty of suggestions. The argument can be made that the intention is to sit for all exams at once because both sample schedules have Divemaster Exams on the final night. It can also be argued that since there is no specific requirement stated that the exams be taken all at once, and the fact that each exam has a signature and date block, it is permissible for each exam to be taken separately. I'll call a Training Coordinator and get a final answer.

Thanks Joe-Diver. we talked about it in our DMC group today. Our general concensus was we would prefer to take exams all at once at the end. Our idea is that the "true final exam" requires real studying and learning whereas the test as you go method allows memorizing for a short period. We felt in this level of diving that true learning was more ensured with a long and difficult final exam. Just one side.
Thanks

I think it's up to any individual as to what they get out of their studying. Just because you take the tests individually does not mean you quickly memorize, test, then forget. Following my guidelines is certainly not rote memorization, and in fact retention is high. I recently retook the exams for AIDC, after a period of 10 months. I did not study at all, taking the exams just to test my retention. I aced each one.

Taking the exams individually or all at once has no bearing whatsoever on "true learning". True Learning is up to each and every person and the effort they put behind gaining professional level knowledge. If you take the time to learn the material and understand the concept, it doesn't matter when/how you take the tests.

For many people, the exams are very intimidating and are at times a stumbling point. The perception is much more manageable in small chunks. For some though, like you and your group, doing them all at once is a challenge! It sounds like you're up for it though, so good luck and let us know how it goes! :cheers:

After weeks and months of conflicting instructor schedules, last minute cancellations and a "killer" class schedule at school, I have finally managed to begin my divemaster material.
I tested tonight on Physics, along with my shop's co-owner, who is also taking the course.
honestly, the exam was much easier than I thought it was going to be.
I missed two questions: on the first I got ahead of myself and wasn't paying close enough attention to what I was doing, and the second was a gimmie due to round-off error (i rounded through out the process which threw my final answer off by .2 cuft).

Math has never been my strong suit, and I was really worried about this test - after sitting through my statistics class this semester the math needed for this was almost rudimentary.

anyway, just wanted to post-up and say that I am starting to finally make some headway with my program.

I did all at once, it was hard.
you really need to study.

Think that doing it by sections is easier.

Back
Top Bottom