PADI Divemaster insurance costs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see this thread is old (2/27/2006) so I want to revive it.
I'm currently studying for the PADI DM course. When I complete this course and I'm not currently teaching under an instructor as a DM, must I still have insurance? I don't understand why I would if I'm not actively teaching for a shop or otherwise. I would like to have this information clarified soon. My trip is booked and there is no turning back now as I have all the materials for it but this added cost is not something I was anticipating unless I was to teach.

You only need insurance if you are actively teaching. If you are just diving - no worries. The coverage typically covers you from students suing you or the shop with whom you are affiliated. Once you start working professionally, you must have insurance.

I see this thread is old (2/27/2006) so I want to revive it.
I'm currently studying for the PADI DM course. When I complete this course and I'm not currently teaching under an instructor as a DM, must I still have insurance? I don't understand why I would if I'm not actively teaching for a shop or otherwise. I would like to have this information clarified soon. My trip is booked and there is no turning back now as I have all the materials for it but this added cost is not something I was anticipating unless I was to teach.

1. Asked and answered in this thread.
  2. Asked and answered in your course materials.

As a general rule, if I were you and I still wasn't clear, I'd rank my resources like this:
  1. PADI materials. You paid for them, you might as well read them.
  2. PADI corporate. They'll take your call, even if it's only for the entertainment value.
  3. The Instructor. Like PADI, you're paying them and you might as well get more out of the class than a sore back from schlepping tanks. If you have more than one, take a poll.
  4. Pogo the Clown. There's at least a 50/50 chance he'll get the answer right.
  5. The internet. The odds of a straight answer are falling quickly.

[*]The internet. The odds of a straight answer are falling quickly.

Reefraff - This looks a like a Hofstadter question. I suppose that your answer falls into this category too? :D

I just got my PADI divemaster certificate and was wondering if there are any other options out there for insurance besides PADI's recommended Vicencia & Buckley?

Wilis comes to mind.Just do a search on scuba professional liaility insurance..Best thing to do is ask at the LDs you plan to teach at.They may have a store sponsored plan that you can opt into and get attractive rates.We have that option at the LDS I teach at, but I also do teaching outside the facility and carry my own policy.

We get a discount for being DMs, varying store credit based on the class we assist with along with credit to the insurance cost. Also a small $ stipend to offset travel, etc for open water sessions

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem with only getting insurance through a local dive shop is that I am kind of in transit right now and thus may not be in the same area for 6months or even shorter. Also, if I assist an instructor or contact a class I'm rated for outside the shop, then I wouldn't be assured.

After a bit of research, here is what I have found:

Willis Recreational Scuba Diving Insurance
Endorsed by SDI and TDI but cover all other agency accredidations
http://www.wrsdi.com/

Toll Free: 1 (800) 665-5252
Runs for 12 month from date started.
Choose RSDIG on top of form if not SDI certified
DiveMaster $290/yr

International Scuba Risk Purchasing Alliance (Witherspoon & Assoc)
Endorsed by SSI
ISRPA Risk Purchasing Group
Individual Dive Professional Insurance - Witherspoon & Associates
$166/6months

Vicencia &Buckley insurance
Endorsed by PADI
$191/6 months ($382)

Insurance Management Services
NAUI endorsed
Dive Secure
1 (800) 467-7282
$356 /yr

They all seem to offer pretty much about the same coverage. Would love to hear if anyone knows of any differences/issues besides for price.

Thanks for doing the research, dasalomon. I'm also wondering if there are any thoughts about if saving the hundred bucks by going with Willis would be a big hassle in the PADI world, or if going with V&B would be wiser in the long run.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom