Padi Divemaster renewal and liability costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring once bubbled...

It seems that helping with classes would be either covered by the instructor's insurance or at least some type of cheaper rate....I would never be in charge of divers (certified or uncertified)...just assisting with classes under the supervision of an instructor with insurance.

Actually, you could be in charge of divers quite frequently, depending on classes and your instructor. A DM can take OW students on a sightseeing tour on the third OW dive if memory serves, as well as being the only pro in the water on some of the advanced dives. You can also take them aside duing confined water for skills practice.

I would not consider DMing without full insurance.

Phil

MechDiver once bubbled...

Actually, you could be in charge of divers quite frequently, depending on classes and your instructor. A DM can take OW students on a sightseeing tour on the third OW dive if memory serves, as well as being the only pro in the water on some of the advanced dives. You can also take them aside duing confined water for skills practice.

I would not consider DMing without full insurance.

Phil
Now I just have to find a way to get cheap insurance...does Geico or Aflac offer coverage? :wink:

I'm a PADI Divemaster and No, you do not need insurance to keep the rating. If you plan to work as a Divemaster, either paid or not paid, you should have insurance. The instructors insurance does not cover certified Divemasters, only Divemasters in Training because they are technically still students.

I work as a Divemater and I do not get paid for it. I do get paid to do skill reviews, drysuit orientations and things like that but not for assisting with classes. The shop I work for does pay 1 DM per class but the rest of us do it for fun. The primary DM gets about $15 per student that completes the class. That works out to about $6.00 an hour. Most primary DMs break even. I do get discounts on gear but it doesn't cover the cost of PADI dues and insurance premiums. I make enough from the other activities to barely break even over the entire year. I don't mind, I'd do it for free and have several times. I like working with students and the staff I work with are great friends. The OW weekends are hard work but the reward is in seeing people acomplish the training. It gives me an excuse to dive at least once a month and I keep my skills honed. Nobody requires that I do it and I can walk away at anytime. I probably with the first time someone sues me. I resent the hell out of having to pay for insurance but that's the cost of being a DM in the US these days.

I do it because I love it. Some do, some don't. If you don't then don't pay the premiums. Scuba instruction is not a great way to make a living. Do it because you enjoy it or do something else.

Scott

O-ring once bubbled...

Now I just have to find a way to get cheap insurance...does Geico or Aflac offer coverage? :wink:

Allstate :D

You may want to check on what equipment is allowed/required for a particular shop. Some require you to use the equipment they sell during classes, as the students want what the "pros" are using. Thats why there are keyman programs.

Phil

MechDiver once bubbled...

Allstate :D

You may want to check on what equipment is allowed/required for a particular shop. Some require you to use the equipment they sell during classes, as the students want what the "pros" are using. Thats why there are keyman programs.

Phil
I have already been working with some classes as a DM candidate and the instructor I am working with is very flexible. So far I have been able to use my standard gear for classes, but have to use a short hose primary/octo setup in the pool.

O-ring once bubbled...

I have already been working with some classes as a DM candidate and the instructor I am working with is very flexible. So far I have been able to use my standard gear for classes, but have to use a short hose primary/octo setup in the pool.

Thats great, you're lucky. I really enjoyed the time I spent in the DM class and being a DM afterwards. We were diving 5 to 6 days a week and doing everything from OW through DM. It really helps your skills to have all those classes in front of you all the time, along with dealing with the problems that arise.
Best of luck

Phil

O-ring once bubbled...

This is a dumb question, but...why DM then?
One reason i do it ..... i love seeing the look in a students eye when they get a skill like hovering after having mucho trouble with it.

Helping someone "get it" with something your personally passionate about can be really great O-ring.

Okay now the real reason .... lots of chicks dig Dm's , need i say more?:wink:

Okay now the real reason .... lots of chicks dig Dm's , need i say more?
That's a much better reason than the others stated...PADI would sell the hell out of the DM course if they would just market it this way upfront...there are tons of geeks in diving that would gladly "go pro" if it increased their chances of successfully meeting women.

O-ring once bubbled...

That's a much better reason than the others stated...PADI would sell the hell out of the DM course if they would just market it this way upfront...there are tons of geeks in diving that would gladly "go pro" if it increased their chances of successfully meeting women.
Take air for a few more years and you'll understand the other reason too.:D

I was under the understanding that it is possible to write-off a portion of you gear/classes once you are in training towards or acting as a "dive professional." It falls under the classification of "required equipment" to do your job. Typically, university or college class fees are also recoverable to some degree as part of advanced training towards your "occupation."

If there is any way in the world to write-off any portion of diving because of DM or DM in training status, it's well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom