PADI DM 400M freestyle and 15M tread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my 800m/yd snorkel swim at a quarry, and got a pretty low score. Had to pull up Google Maps and a ruler to show my instructor his known distance from point A to point B was significantly understated. Got the score raised!
Amazing. Even the non-standard situations of these tests are non standard......

Note these standards are minimum standards. I tend to dislike aiming for bare minimums.

When I did mine I was dropped off at sea and told to swim home, avoid the boats... No joke.

Tread water was arms out, don't know how long I was kept doing it.

The other guy in the program was a lifeguard and it was challenging.

When it came time for scoring, it was easy after the prep.

Cameron
I'm not looking to achieve minimum standards, I'm looking for the correct procedure for the tests. I don't believe one would have a high enough score to pass if they did the minimums of all of the tests. I'm also certified to work on energized electrical equipment up to 5000VAC which I find far more hazardous than recreational diving. There are exact and precise ways to earn that qualification as well. I'm looking for the correct way as set forth by the authority having jurisdiction for certification.

Right. I previously provided the exact text from current PADI instructor manual, so those are the standards. Sometimes there is additional guidance for a standard in the Guide To Teaching, or printed on the Instructor slates - I don’t have those handy at the moment to mine for any other nuggets.
And if there is something in a standard that is unclear and needs interpretation, pick up the phone and call them. Usually far faster than an email.

I'm not looking to achieve minimum standards, I'm looking for the correct procedure for the tests. I don't believe one would have a high enough score to pass if they did the minimums of all of the tests. I'm also certified to work on energized electrical equipment up to 5000VAC which I find far more hazardous than recreational diving. There are exact and precise ways to earn that qualification as well. I'm looking for the correct way as set forth by the authority having jurisdiction for certification.

In that case, you have a close approximation to the answer you want found in the first reply.

Once you are a dive master candidate you can read it for yourself from the instructor's manual where the standards are clearly outlined.

Correct procedures would be those administered by an instructor you trust is competent to conduct the course.

Cameron

Where are you at in the process? Once enrolled as a DMC, you need to have your own copy of the Instructor’s Manual for use in the course, and reference after. So if you are already signed up, just check your copy.

Where are you at in the process? Once enrolled as a DMC, you need to have your own copy of the Instructor’s Manual for use in the course, and reference after. So if you are already signed up, just check your copy.
I finished rescue last month. This month is all new equipment for the wife and I both. More than likely december I'll sign up for the course. More than likely I'll begin the academic portion in december and continue on through jan feb with the remainder.

In that case, you have a close approximation to the answer you want found in the first reply.

Once you are a dive master candidate you can read it for yourself from the instructor's manual where the standards are clearly outlined.

Correct procedures would be those administered by an instructor you trust is competent to conduct the course.

Cameron
Im still have trouble getting specific answers, LOL. I shave nearly 2 minutes off my 400M time with using a mask and snorkel versus nothing, not even goggles.. Also, my time is much faster in a 25M pool than open water even though my turns suck. I always considered myself a pretty strong swimmer. I didnt realize how much room there was for improvement until I started timing my swims a few months back. Working on stroke and turns lately.

I can certainly understand your concern with the 400m swim. I'm currently in a DM program and was just informed that we have switched agencies and now our swim & fin kick are both timed. 400m in 10 minutes and 800m fin kick in 17 minutes. The swim we can use goggles, but that's all. I think we then have to do a rescue and get the diver from a depth of 20' and 100' out to the shore in 4 minutes if I remember right. So my concerns just went from "Okay I can do this" to "I need to get back in the pool NOW!!!"

My swim was from point A in a quarry to point B in a quarry. No way was that done in a pefectly straight line, no kick off the side when doing the turn. It may have been a bit over 400 yds also.

I can certainly understand your concern with the 400m swim. I'm currently in a DM program and was just informed that we have switched agencies and now our swim & fin kick are both timed. 400m in 10 minutes and 800m fin kick in 17 minutes. The swim we can use goggles, but that's all. I think we then have to do a rescue and get the diver from a depth of 20' and 100' out to the shore in 4 minutes if I remember right. So my concerns just went from "Okay I can do this" to "I need to get back in the pool NOW!!!"
I'm only sweating the 400m. I can easily do the 800m and get at least a 3, with another couple of months of training, possibly a 5. I bought a used set of Force Fins off of ebay. They are insanely expensive new for something im only using for one thing, so I got used ones, I feel like a total tool wearing them, they look ridiculous, I can feel people looking at me funny when I have them on and hear snickers, nonetheless, I've never felt a fin allow me to propel be through the water with such great speed and such minimal effort. I would never use them in full gear, they're way to flimsy for my prefrence for that, but just a leg kick with no gear, they're a life saver. I got them used for 140 and I'm hoping I can list them for sale when I'm done with them and get my money back. I

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom