PADI - DM active vs inactive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or the DM has also a DM cert from another agency. I was a CMAS DM, and could do also guiding, etc. So inactive doesn't mean is inactive with another agency also.
I am now an (tech) instructor for several agencies, but in the padi database I am only an advanced open water diver.
Does the divecenter also has another agency to teach for or just padi? That is important in this question.

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to Scubaboard. I see you just joined today and this is your first post.
I am wondering if they let it slip the DM was inactive or how you found out?
Most people are not aware that inactive status is even a thing so you must have some knowledge of the pro side of diving.
Have you read any of the posts in the thumbs down section? There are many there like this.

Thank-you, I do have some knowledge but just needed some clarity.

The
PADI DMs and instructors have to pay their dues to PADI every year to be recognized as "active" members by PADI. This allows the DMs and instructors to get liability insurance also, which is important in the US (as was mentioned above.) An inactive instructor cannot issue certifications, since those have to go through PADI.

The situation you describe, an inactive DM leading dives, giving refreshers and DSDs... is kind of be like a taxi driver having their license suspended (which would prevent them from getting insurance.) Nothing would physically keep them from driving people around in a taxi and collecting fares from customers. But their situation could get... complicated... if something went wrong with a customer.

The DM (and the shop) might feel there isn't much value in sending PADI the dues or having liab insurance if all they do is refreshers, dive guiding and DSDs. But PADI would be very interested to know if the shop is representing itself as a PADI shop and allowing the DM to represent himself to customers as a PADI DM without paying their dues. PADI gets very prickly about that kind of thing.
The resort markets itself as a PADI d8ve resort and has paid it's fees. But the DM who is only associated with PADI is not in active status. He does not submit the DSD paperwork. What is concerning is that PADI standards allow the DM to do the pool work for DSD but requires an instructor to accompany the DSD for an open water dive... however, the DM is taking DSD's for an open water dive...
I feel this needs to be reported but just needed clarity on the DM status situation before I have egg on my face...

The

The resort markets itself as a PADI d8ve resort and has paid it's fees. But the DM who is only associated with PADI is not in active status. He does not submit the DSD paperwork. What is concerning is that PADI standards allow the DM to do the pool work for DSD but requires an instructor to accompany the DSD for an open water dive... however, the DM is taking DSD's for an open water dive...
I feel this needs to be reported but just needed clarity on the DM status situation before I have egg on my face...
Yes, get this reported right away. Everything might be running in a very safe manner regardless of status, but if the DM and the resort are playing fast and loose with some standards, who knows what else might also be happening to place novice divers in needless jeopardy.

The

You can let PADI know what you suspect. They can then contact the shop to get their side of the story. If you are correct, that the DSD leader in question is only a DM and not an instructor, and that this person is not in teaching status (i.e. not paid their dues) then PADI can easily verify this. The shop will have some explaining to do, and PADI will likely give them a warning and tell them to fix it immediately.

If you're going to follow through with this, just keep your report to PADI short and simple. Give them the facts, let them follow up. And don't expect to hear anything back. It's standard procedure for PADI to act on reports like yours but they don't involve the person that originally reported.

Again, I've been inactive 7 weeks but the answer is OBVIOUS. REMAIN ACTIVE IF YOU WILL BE PAID! Why else would you PAY PADI dues? I quit the Musicians Union (AF of M) after 35 years because the jobs I played no longer were supported by the AFM. You can always get your "active" status back by doing something really simple online. Am I wrong? And NEVER work as a DM without being PAID by the owner/Captain.

And padi cannot do anything against it. Other agencies do also dsd. Or found your own agency. You can only complaign if dsd is done under padi flag.
And even then it is hard to proof. Advertisement padi and the customers prefer cmas certs. I can also teach under 3-4flags. But you also sign with some agencies not to promote courses at same level from other agencies. Ok, a dsd is not a diver who know differences between agencies, but normally they dont care if they do a dsd from cmas instead of padi . They only want a dsd. So if you are a cmas dm, you can do. Cheaper than be active padi dm.

Sorry of this is off topic but I'm unable to start a new thread and cannot find the answer anywhere.

I have a questions regarding PADI Divemaster renewal fees;

If I pass my DM course in November then pay the fees to PADI do I then need to pay the renewal fees again in January?

That is the impression I'm getting and it seems incredibly unfair. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance

call the padi office and ask them, they are great about answering questions

Sorry of this is off topic but I'm unable to start a new thread and cannot find the answer anywhere.

I have a questions regarding PADI Divemaster renewal fees;

If I pass my DM course in November then pay the fees to PADI do I then need to pay the renewal fees again in January?

That is the impression I'm getting and it seems incredibly unfair. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance

You are correct. I got DM certified in august and had to renew completely for the new year. They dont partially charge..:(

Back
Top Bottom