PADI - DM active vs inactive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like it may be up to the dive shop and/or instructor to decide how to reinstate the DM. Since an instructor certifies a DM it may take an instructor to decide what the DM needs to remediate in order to requalify as a DM. Since that could be from nothing to retaking the course, how would a PADI official be able to give a definitive answer over the phone?

I’d find a shop that needed a DM really bad, just saying.

Bob

I considered reactivating several years ago. No one could tell me exactly what was needed other than CPR renewal. I even called PADI and they suggesting contact a dive shop and talk to them. They would not talk specifics. I even renewed with PADI and still no answer.

One shop I frequented said they could easily do it, and suggested I roll it up into upgrading to instructor.

No one wanted to say, but it seemed like they expect the course to be taken over again. They just don’t want to say that out loud.
That seems to be a pretty odd response from PADI, sounds more like there was some serious miscommunication at some level. They have rules, guidelines, standards, forms, and procedures for everything under the sun - regaining active status is NOT a new concept, and they would NOT be leaving up to a shop to decide how to proceed.

I also could not find anything in the Instructors Manual, even though I was convinced that I had read something ages ago. The little bit of verbiage I found that might conceivable able suggested to me that the process might vary by regional office, and that it needs to be checked with the local contacts for wherever the member is living and working.

@Sharayshe - you really need to call your PADI office, and if the person you talk to doesn't know, then push them to connect you with someone that does know. Several of us have not yet found it in a written document, so the tribal knowledge is letting you down today. Go to the source.

It sounds like it may be up to the dive shop and/or instructor to decide how to reinstate the DM. Since an instructor certifies a DM it may take an instructor to decide what the DM needs to remediate in order to requalify as a DM. Since that could be from nothing to retaking the course, how would a PADI official be able to give a definitive answer over the phone?

Bob

Yeah... that makes the most sense From what I’ve seen.

That seems to be a pretty odd response from PADI, sounds more like there was some serious miscommunication at some level. They have rules, guidelines, standards, forms, and procedures for everything under the sun - regaining active status is NOT a new concept, and they would NOT be leaving up to a shop to decide how to proceed.

I also could not find anything in the Instructors Manual, even though I was convinced that I had read something ages ago. The little bit of verbiage I found that might conceivable able suggested to me that the process might vary by regional office, and that it needs to be checked with the local contacts for wherever the member is living and working.

@Sharayshe - you really need to call your PADI office, and if the person you talk to doesn't know, then push them to connect you with someone that does know. Several of us have not yet found it in a written document, so the tribal knowledge is letting you down today. Go to the source.
Sounds reasonable to me. I'm almost positive that I read during my 4 years of active DMing that to get back to active status PADI requires you to
1. Pay the membership fee (and of course insurance, which may have to do with individual shops & plans).
2. Do some kind of really simple basic refresher online--something PADI sends you or that you can access.

I recall seeing this somewhere, maybe in the PADI stuff you'd receive online or in the Underwater Journal?

Bob
no - padi definitely had a say in it. it was not up to the shop or instructor at all. this was 2 years ago.

The only thing I can find in the PADI Training Bulletin is from 2002 (!!):
As a PADI dive professional, you need to keep current with PADI programs, standards, materials and procedures. Historically, PADI Instructors have documented this through the membership renewal process. The level of involvement PADI Divemasters and Assistant Instructors have in the PADI System of Diver Education has increased dramatically over the years. To document that PADI Divemasters and Assistant Instructors are keeping current with PADI standards and philosophies, new renewal requirements will take effect in the 2003 renewal period. Members who continue to renew each year provide PADI with the assurance that they are implementing new and revised standards-related information. When there is a break in renewal, however, PADI Members will need to meet specific retraining requirements to renew in active status. Depending on the lapse of time between renewals, it may include complete retraining. The best action is to maintain an unbroken chain of PADI Membership renewal. Check with your PADI Office Training Department for more information about renewals.

The only thing I can find in the PADI Training Bulletin is from 2002 (!!):
As a PADI dive professional, you need to keep current with PADI programs, standards, materials and procedures. Historically, PADI Instructors have documented this through the membership renewal process. The level of involvement PADI Divemasters and Assistant Instructors have in the PADI System of Diver Education has increased dramatically over the years. To document that PADI Divemasters and Assistant Instructors are keeping current with PADI standards and philosophies, new renewal requirements will take effect in the 2003 renewal period. Members who continue to renew each year provide PADI with the assurance that they are implementing new and revised standards-related information. When there is a break in renewal, however, PADI Members will need to meet specific retraining requirements to renew in active status. Depending on the lapse of time between renewals, it may include complete retraining. The best action is to maintain an unbroken chain of PADI Membership renewal. Check with your PADI Office Training Department for more information about renewals.

I'm not a PADI basher, but...
In this directive PADI is essentially saying that if you keep paying every year you are good and don't ever need to prove that you are staying current and competent. But if you dare stop paying you may have to take the whole DM course over again if you want to re-up in the future. In other words, it becomes necessary to prove your competence if you stop paying PADI but not if you keep paying PADI.

I'm not a PADI basher, but...
In this directive PADI is essentially saying that if you keep paying every year you are good and don't ever need to prove that you are staying current and competent. But if you dare stop paying you may have to take the whole DM course over again if you want to re-up in the future. In other words, it becomes necessary to prove your competence if you stop paying PADI but not if you keep paying PADI.
Yeah, right, nice job of "not" bashing PADI.
Read it again. What you say had an element of truth prior to 2003. It is the renewal requirements (which involve more than just paying money) that maintain the updatedness of the DM; note the sentence, "Members who continue to renew each year provide PADI with the assurance that they are implementing new and revised standards-related information."

Yeah, right, nice job of "not" bashing PADI.
Read it again. What you say had an element of truth prior to 2003. It is the renewal requirements (which involve more than just paying money) that maintain the updatedness of the DM; note the sentence, "Members who continue to renew each year provide PADI with the assurance that they are implementing new and revised standards-related information."

Yeah, "provide assurance"... like that proves anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom