PADI DM finished, hints to others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All in good fun.
RichH

Sinking to the bottom would be drowning if you stopped reading there, however there is more to the sentence that would likely prevent drowning. To clarify, while in the Navy I was taught the method I previously described. I used this description to answer the OP's question since I assumed he would take his test in a pool. I will certainly apologize for my inaccurate description.
RichH

so the Navy teaches drownproofing now by pushing off the bottom?

As a survival skill what good is that? Chances are if you are in shallow enough water to hit the bottom on your descent, you could probably just swim to shore.

They did, in boot camp in 1971. It was more a test to see how one handles oneself in a stressful situation. I never said this was now.
RichH

They did, in boot camp in 1971. It was more a test to see how one handles oneself in a stressful situation. I never said this was now.
RichH

sorry, I injected the 'now' by mistake.

Irrespective of that, it seems like no bottom would be more stressful, so I guess they were going easy on you.

so the Navy teaches drownproofing now by pushing off the bottom?

As a survival skill what good is that? Chances are if you are in shallow enough water to hit the bottom on your descent, you could probably just swim to shore.

The only place that I know of that the Navy does that training now is as part of BUDS. The prospective SEALs do it while their hands and feet are tied.

Froglogic David Rutherford Navy SEAL Motivational Speaker, Author and Coach: Navy SEAL Training BUDS Photos Drown Proofing

sorry, I injected the 'now' by mistake.

Irrespective of that, it seems like no bottom would be more stressful, so I guess they were going easy on you.

It was boot camp not actual combat or SEAL training. It was also at Great Lakes in the winter, so no outside training.
RichH

Good work. I just got my packet in Saturday and it is rewarding. I like working with people doing something fun. Helping instructors and helping the divers as well. I would say the swims were the hardest part. The book work and skills work were very enjoyable, as I enjoy learning more about diving.

Don't forget to go to the PADI pro site and create your account and everything afterward.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom